Windows 10: Windows 11 - DWM.exe only uses integrated GPU - does not follow Graphics preference

Discus and support Windows 11 - DWM.exe only uses integrated GPU - does not follow Graphics preference in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi all,I have found that DWM.exe is very slow - resulting in Windows 95'esque window performance - when using integrated GPU in this case, Iris Xe. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by John W. in Carolina, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Windows 11 - DWM.exe only uses integrated GPU - does not follow Graphics preference

Hi all,I have found that DWM.exe is very slow - resulting in Windows 95'esque window performance - when using integrated GPU in this case, Iris Xe. I have attempted to specify c:\windows\system32\dwm.exe in the System > Display > Graphics area and configured it to use High Performance the A2000 discrete GPU in my laptop.When I test it - by having Task Manager open, Details, GPU / GPU Engine shown, it shows DWM using 100% of GPU0, when I move an Outlook window around Outlook is also set to High Performance, and reflects properly as GPU1

:)

John W. in Carolina, Nov 30, 2022

2. How can I force my dedicated GPU to handle all applications or disable my integrated GPU?

From pureinfotech:

Silas Reel, Nov 30, 2022
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

Hi Zeond1987,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Are you getting any error message?

If you have a multi-GPU system running Windows 10, you can now manually specify the preferred graphics processor an app should use for performance or to improve battery life.

In order to force an app to use a discrete GPU instead of the integrated one, or vice versa to provide better system performance or battery life, I suggest you to follow the below steps.

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon. Click on System.

2. Click on Display on the left side

3. Under “Multiple displays,” click the Advanced graphics settings link.

4. Select the kind of app you want to configured using the drop-down menu:

Classic app — these are your traditional Win32 desktop programs.

Universal app — these are those app available through the Microsoft Store.

5. If you select Classic app, you’ll need to click the Browse button to locate the “.exe” file to add the app. Otherwise, if you select the Universal app option, you’ll see a second drop-down menu to select the app.

6. Select the app you added from the list.

7. Click the Options button

8. Set the graphics preference you want to use:

System default — this is always the default setting, and Windows 10 decide which GPU to use automatically.

Power saving — runs the application on the GPU that uses the least power, which most of the time is your integrated graphics processor.

High performance — runs the application on the most capable GPU, which is most of the time an external or discrete graphics processor.

9. Click the Save button.

I also recommend you to update the GTX 1080 drivers from the manufacturer website, and
    Check if that work.

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes Or No

Mithin_EJ, Nov 30, 2022
Thema:

Windows 11 - DWM.exe only uses integrated GPU - does not follow Graphics preference

1. Windows 11 - DWM.exe only uses integrated GPU - does not follow Graphics preference - Similar Threads - DWM exe uses

2. Windows 11 - DWM.exe only uses integrated GPU - does not follow Graphics preference

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - DWM.exe only uses integrated GPU - does not follow Graphics preference: Hi all,I have found that DWM.exe is very slow - resulting in Windows 95'esque window performance - when using integrated GPU in this case, Iris Xe. I have attempted to specify c:\windows\system32\dwm.exe in the System > Display > Graphics area and configured it to use High...
  3. Windows 11 using integrated graphics instead of dedicated graphics

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 using integrated graphics instead of dedicated graphics: Hi, I use a Dell G15 5510 with an RTX 3060 Laptop and an Intel integrated graphics but when I BeamNG for some reason it uses integrated graphics instead of dedicated. I have changed settings in Windows to make it prefer to use dedicated and also in the nvidia control panel. I...
  4. Windows 11 using integrated graphics instead of dedicated graphics

Windows 11 using integrated graphics instead of dedicated graphics: Hi, I use a Dell G15 5510 with an RTX 3060 Laptop and an Intel integrated graphics but when I BeamNG for some reason it uses integrated graphics instead of dedicated. I have changed settings in Windows to make it prefer to use dedicated and also in the nvidia control panel. I...
  5. Laptop Using Integrated Graphics Instead of actual GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Using Integrated Graphics Instead of actual GPU: Hello. I have had this issue where my computer isn't using my Nvidia GPU when I game or anything else. It instead is using Intel Integrated Graphics. This has been occurring ever since I switched out my HDD for a new one. I have already installed the latest driver for it...
  6. Laptop Using Integrated Graphics Instead of actual GPU

Laptop Using Integrated Graphics Instead of actual GPU: Hello. I have had this issue where my computer isn't using my Nvidia GPU when I game or anything else. It instead is using Intel Integrated Graphics. This has been occurring ever since I switched out my HDD for a new one. I have already installed the latest driver for it...
  7. GPU not available as graphics preference in windows settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPU not available as graphics preference in windows settings: Hello, I am having issues getting some programs to utilize my dedicated graphics card on my laptop over the default integrated graphics. Normally this GPU would appear as the the high performance option in graphics settings but it is no longer there and I cant force certain...
  8. Windows not using integrated graphics

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not using integrated graphics: My laptop has suddenly stopped using integrated graphics. I have the latest intel drivers and windows updates etc. Every post I search online is about how to use the dedicated gpu instead of integrated which is unhelpful because I want the opposite. I want to run the desktop...
  9. Dwm and csrss using my gpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm and csrss using my gpu: Hey so the dwm and csrss using my gpu while im moving window folder(dwm) and while im moving cursor (csrss) and each of them can use 10% or higher And when im in csgo there is 10% of use of it (dwm) and 20% for.csgo im wondering if its okey or not...
  10. Using a GPU with the output cable plugged in to integrated graphics

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Using a GPU with the output cable plugged in to integrated graphics: Hey, I have a quick question; Is it possible to use my Nvidia 8600GTS card (plugged into PCIe x16, 6 pin power) without actually having the monitor plugged into it? I am currently using my AMD A10-7800's integrated graphics because I only have a VGA cable and slots on my...