Windows 10: Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu

Discus and support Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After updating from Windows 10 all worked perfect to Windows 11 the Explorer looks different in case of reduced menus. But on advanced menu, I can see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Timo Boehme, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu

After updating from Windows 10 all worked perfect to Windows 11 the Explorer looks different in case of reduced menus. But on advanced menu, I can see old and default context entries like on 7Zip again. Unfortunately the Explorer crashes as soon as I click right on a zip file. Problem is, I can restart and repeat and there is no error message or help in any way to find the source of problem. Now its a huge blackbox to handle, just can watch Explorer crashing again.Windows event log has an suspecious entry:Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: explorer.exe, Version: 1

:)

Timo Boehme, Apr 22, 2023
  2. MarkC123 Win User

File Explorer Context Menu

Changes to the File Explorer context menu in Windows 11 have made it more inconvenient for me to use compared with Windows 10. I use "New Folder" frequently and this is now 2-clicks away, in favour of a list of commands I never use. Is there a way to change way this context menu displays?

MarkC123, Apr 22, 2023
  3. File Explorer Context Menu

Hi Mark, my name is Neil and I'm a Windows 11 user like you.

I too wasn't thrilled by the new context menu options in Windows 11. However, since using it, my New > option appears on the first context menu, where you simply hover and then select New Folder just like Windows 10.

Now I can't be sure if this changed by itself (adapted because I have used the New option a few times) or if this came from an update? So you might want to try using the New option a few times and see if it moves to the first context menu.

However, to answer your question, yes! There is a way to restore a full context menu back to Windows 11.

It involves editing the registry but is a fairly simple thing to do and it is also easy to remove too by deleting the key you create if you ever needed to.

There are many websites with the steps that show you what to do, but I think this one is the best as a step-by-step guide: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-res...

After following the instructions and rebooting, you will have a full context menu when you right click.

I hope this helps!

Kindest regards,

Neil

Smug Puppy, Apr 22, 2023
  4. AndreePin Win User

Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu

AndreePin, Apr 22, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu

1. Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu - Similar Threads - Explorer crashing Context

2. Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu: In windows 11's file explorer, whenever I open the context menu, it crashes. I've tried everything that I see in tutorials. Here's what I've tried; restarting windows explorer in task manager, the sfc scannow and DISM methods in command prompt, and clean booting and more. Is...
  3. Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu: In windows 11's file explorer, whenever I open the context menu, it crashes. I've tried everything that I see in tutorials. Here's what I've tried; restarting windows explorer in task manager, the sfc scannow and DISM methods in command prompt, and clean booting and more. Is...
  4. Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu: After updating from Windows 10 all worked perfect to Windows 11 the Explorer looks different in case of reduced menus. But on advanced menu, I can see old and default context entries like on 7Zip again. Unfortunately the Explorer crashes as soon as I click right on a zip...
  5. Windows 11 context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 context menu: I upgraded to Windows 11, but I have an issue with what I believe is called the "context menu". If I want to copy and paste something I have to first click on "Show More Options" to get to the copy or paste feature. Is there a way to expand the context menu so you do not have...
  6. Windows 11 context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 context menu: I upgraded to Windows 11, but I have an issue with what I believe is called the "context menu". If I want to copy and paste something I have to first click on "Show More Options" to get to the copy or paste feature. Is there a way to expand the context menu so you do not have...
  7. 'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer: I have also lost all thumbnail previews for images. I have tried a bunch of things i found on the internet but none have worked. I did recently uninstall a few programs i no longer use. One of them caused an error preventing me from doing a system restore. I reinstalled the...
  8. Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"....: Don't know if it was a coincidence or not but said problem started about three days ago after installing VLC (yes official site) and uninstalling it after noticing the issues and some file associations I didn't want with it. Did full scans with Windows Defender and...
  9. File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash: After installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, the New context menu no longer works. If I right-click an empty area in File Explorer and move to the New menu, Explorer freezes and then crashes. Same thing happens if I click on the New Item icon on the toolbar. The...
  10. Windows Explorer Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Context Menu: Windows Explorer Context Menu Add custom items to Windows Explorer shell context menu easily with Explorer Context Menu. Easy to start (just install), easy to add your menu items (just one line of template code for every menu item), easy to use (.Net C#, VB, etc.) easy to...