Windows 10: Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?

Discus and support Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am on Windows 11, Version 22H2. I use File Explorer a lot, particularly for managing photos.Every time I open a File Explorer window for a different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BampaOwlScotland, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?

I am on Windows 11, Version 22H2. I use File Explorer a lot, particularly for managing photos.Every time I open a File Explorer window for a different folder or directory, as I always knew them I have to right-click to get rid of "Type" which I don't need I can read file extensions and "Tags" which I don't use. I then add "Date Taken" and "Camera Model".I would like to change the Default to avoid doing this - at least for all folders within Pictures.Is this possible? And if so, How?

:)

BampaOwlScotland, Feb 27, 2024

2. With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

I have some files with very long names, and I always want to see the file extensions as well as the names. In the default Windows File Explorer, the first column listing the names of the files is too narrow for some of my file names with extensions. I
    can drag the right margin of the first column to the right and fix that, but the next time I open File Explorer, I have to do it again. I would like to set the column widths and have that be the default thereafter.

Lewis D. Eigen, Feb 27, 2024
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

Hi Lewis,

Open a folder in Windows File Explorer

Set the view to your preferred view (Details, List .. etc.)

Then resize the columns as reuired

On the View Ribbon, click Options

In the resulting Dialog, click on the View Tab and click Apply to Folders

Confirm that choice

Close File Explorer

Open File Explorer and check to see if that setting has been set as default . . .

DaveM121, Feb 27, 2024
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?

Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just <path>?

Hi, I am Dave, I will help you with this.

There is no option to change what is displayed in the Folder column, but you can display the path to the file.

Right click any column header in File Explorer, then click More and turn on the 'File Location' column from the resulting list.

DaveM121, Feb 27, 2024
Thema:

Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?

1. Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed? - Similar Threads - File Explorer change

2. Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?: I am on Windows 11, Version 22H2. I use File Explorer a lot, particularly for managing photos.Every time I open a File Explorer window for a different folder or directory, as I always knew them I have to right-click to get rid of "Type" which I don't need I can read file...
  3. File Explorer Details Display Columns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Details Display Columns: Hello,None of the display fields show the user the last date:time a full folder path was last modified new files added or files changed. The standard File Explorer selection of Name, Date Modified, Type and Size does not do this, as Date Modified may relate to when the top...
  4. File Explorer Details Display Columns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Details Display Columns: Hello,None of the display fields show the user the last date:time a full folder path was last modified new files added or files changed. The standard File Explorer selection of Name, Date Modified, Type and Size does not do this, as Date Modified may relate to when the top...
  5. Setting default columns size in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting default columns size in File Explorer: Since I have read this forum about so many people asking how to apply settings for a default column size in File Explorer, I thought I would answer it since no one here at Microsoft correctly identified it. Even though they did give you their best answer - it is rather quite...
  6. How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders: I know how to change the width, but my changes don't stick. The default in windows is 4 columns, and 2 of them truncate the data in them and need to be widened to see the full name/data of these columns. I have more than half of the width of this folder as unused,...
  7. Windows Explorer changing the default display

Windows Explorer changing the default display: I've noticed the difference of my Windows Explorer (folders) "display" for a long time. I'm not quite sure when did it first start being so. But I remember I once had the default display. Now, I accidentally changed the display, by merely changing the folder's name, and I...
  8. Windows Explorer Default File Columns

Windows Explorer Default File Columns: Is there a way to change the default columns when viewing in Windows Explorer? Every time I create a new folder, especially for audio files, I have to change the configuration of what info I want to see. And sometimes Windows doesn't SAVE that configuration? I have tried...
  9. Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns

Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns: Long time lurker, first post in this forum. First Let me say hello and thanks to Brink and other contributors for all the great tips and tricks, I've used a ton of them since sevenforums.com and now tenforums.com. Last year I moved from win7 to win 10 with a new laptop and...
  10. Changing default Date column in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default Date column in File Explorer: One change I dislike in Win 10 is the 'Date' column. This seems to be the same as Date Created, which I rarely want to see. By far the most useful date for me is Date Modified, which was the standard in XP. How do I set that as the column that will always appear in all...