Windows 10: Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.

Discus and support Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello. Using the Windows 11 Pro operating system, I encountered an error. When I open the Explorer program, I adjust its size using arrows in different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Стьюка Еловер, Feb 22, 2024.

1. Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.

Hello. Using the Windows 11 Pro operating system, I encountered an error. When I open the Explorer program, I adjust its size using arrows in different corners of the Explorer window and location on the computer screen. The problem is that by closing the explorer and opening it again, the data about its size and location are reset to zero. You have to resize it manually each time. I also wanted to add that before reinstalling Windows 11 from a USB drive, there was no such problem - the explorer retained its size and location after closing. After reinstalling it stopped. Also, I noticed t

:)

Стьюка Еловер, Feb 22, 2024
  2. dalchina Win User

Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

You might try this trick- I've not checked if it works in '10...
    How to keep your window size? - OS Customization, Tips and Tweaks - Neowin

Normally, if all is well, this is not a problem. There are 3rd party programs that claim to deal with this, but really they should not be necessary- it suggests some form of corruption.

DeskSoft - WindowManager - Window position and size manager
    (Commercial)
    WinSize2 download | SourceForge.net
    (Free - Note only seems to be specified to Win 8)

You may wish to try an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all data and programs in the hope that registry entries are corrected.

Example: I observed this registry change which appears related to changing the size of a file explorer window and closing it:

Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen. 169554d1514230783t-windows-file-explorer-not-retaining-my-set-size-position-1.jpg

dalchina, Feb 22, 2024
  3. lx07 Win User
    Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

Hmmm for WinDBG I found the File >Save Workspace updates the position that it will open.

I tried the shift/ctrl/both but nothing made a difference.

It turns out it saves it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windbg\Workspaces and changes (in binary notation) the location starting in x0348 but only when you click "Save Workspace"

This is fullscreen for example:

Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen. 169706d1514369953t-windows-file-explorer-not-retaining-my-set-size-position-fullscreen.png

And this is not:

Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen. 169707d1514369953t-windows-file-explorer-not-retaining-my-set-size-position-not-fullscreen.png

I found positions x0360 onwards hold the position of the Window and you can move where it opens by updating registry (although I can't understand the logic for what numbers to put in I just copied them).

This is obviously not very helpful but it seems it is the case that some programs store their starting window positions in any odd place and (seemingly) it is completely up to them where they put it.

4. WPOAz Win User

Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.

Windows 10 open windows don't retain size or location

When I open multiple various (or even single) apps, Win10 will not save size and location. This occurs after reawakening or even through a boot process. Under Vista and Win7, my open windows would retain size and location upon reboot or reawakening. How
    can this be addressed?

wpo

WPOAz, Feb 22, 2024
Thema:

Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.

1. Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen. - Similar Threads - File Explorer does

2. Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.: Hello. Using the Windows 11 Pro operating system, I encountered an error. When I open the Explorer program, I adjust its size using arrows in different corners of the Explorer window and location on the computer screen. The problem is that by closing the explorer and opening...
  3. Windows 11 font size change cannot be retained

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 font size change cannot be retained: Hi,on my surface pro 8 with Windows 11 pro 64bit, due to the high resolution, the default font is too small for me. However, I am reluctant to change scaling since it will make everything else big. So I went to Settings -> Accessibility -> Text size and adjusted the font...
  4. Windows 11 font size change cannot be retained

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 font size change cannot be retained: Hi,on my surface pro 8 with Windows 11 pro 64bit, due to the high resolution, the default font is too small for me. However, I am reluctant to change scaling since it will make everything else big. So I went to Settings -> Accessibility -> Text size and adjusted the font...
  5. does system restore retain files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does system restore retain files?: Does System Restore retain personal downloaded files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-system-restore-retain-files/af4c6603-9e48-4abb-b508-6bd8e2c30062
  6. Why does Notepad not retain larger size?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does Notepad not retain larger size?: I always make Notepad the maximum size, i.e. the size of my monitor. But then Windows always shrinks it down to a tiny size with each login / boot. Is there any way to force it to stay larger?...
  7. Retain window sizes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Retain window sizes: When enlarging a window, next time I open the window it is small again. This happens in several applications. Is there a general parameter for this or.... It doesn't seems to be associated with a specific apps, but rather a more general issue. I've never had a problem...
  8. Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings: Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings I do recall that in previous versions of windows one of the features was the ability to customize a folder including background art. The folder would remember where it was, what size it was, and what...
  9. Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?: I've noticed this problem with many of the internal programs such as file explorer, that will open up in an unusable size and position, and even after I adjust those to my preferred settings, they always revert back. Is there a fix for this that will allow me to set the...
  10. Where's The Registry Location For File Explorer's Size?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where's The Registry Location For File Explorer's Size?: Hello, when you open any File Explorer window (such as going to C:\ ), File Explorer has a specific saved window size that it opens with. So when you resize it, either horizontally and/or vertically, close it and re-open it again, it saves the size of the window. I would like...