Windows 10: Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...

Discus and support Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello All, I've just upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 a few days ago. I have noticed that the 'File Explorer' tab is severely lacking in function. I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DaveE#, Dec 29, 2021.

1. DaveE# Win User

Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...

Hello All, I've just upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 a few days ago. I have noticed that the 'File Explorer' tab is severely lacking in function. I need the ability to search for very specific, unusual key words or names in my historic .docx Word Documents and Pdf's. I'm very familiar with searching in Windows 10 so the obvious things like, have I chosen the correct folder, have I clicked the 'All subfolders' option and clicked the 'File Contents' option have all been tried but with no joy. In Windows 10 when I typed a word into the top right hand box it popped up with the file. Now, in

:)

DaveE#, Dec 29, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Searching for documents with a specific text string

Assuming search indexing is working properly: note that File Explorer search should behave as you expect, if settings correct; Cortana search, on the other hand, will ONLY find indexed documents, and there are options to click on to select searching Apps, Documents, Music etc. (see Filters in Cortana's Window, top right)

Note settings that could stop this happening:

Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can... [​IMG]

- per file

Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can... [​IMG]

- per file type

dalchina, Dec 30, 2021
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 30, 2021
  4. Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...

Searching specific files using File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to searching for files using File Explorer.

You can use the search option in File Explorer to search for the files/folders that you are looking for.

1. Press Windows + E to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Now click on the Search bar on the top right corner of the
      File Explorer window.
    3. Type in the file/folder name you want to search for and hit
      Enter.
    4. You can also use the extension of the file that you want to search, like
      *.mp3, *.wav, *.mp4

Additionally you can refer the article
    Find your documents in Windows 10

If you are facing issues with slow search then you may want to try running the search indexing troubleshooter and see if that helps. Refer the article

Fix problems in Windows Search

In addition, if you have any suggestions/feedback related to using Windows Search then you can provide your feedback/suggestion using the

Feedback Hub app
    on Windows 10.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Dec 30, 2021
Thema:

Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...

1. Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can... - Similar Threads - 'File Explorer' has

2. Lost my search ability.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost my search ability.: Lost my ability to search with the search bar. Defender anti virus turns off. Black DOS screens pop up durring boot. Machine acts strange, slow at times. Using W10 64 bit with latest updates. Error code OX 80070483....
  3. Lost my search ability.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost my search ability.: Lost my ability to search with the search bar. Defender anti virus turns off. Black DOS screens pop up durring boot. Machine acts strange, slow at times. Using W10 64 bit with latest updates. Error code OX 80070483....
  4. Lost my search ability.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...: Hello All, I've just upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 a few days ago. I have noticed that the 'File Explorer' tab is severely lacking in function. I need the ability to search for very specific, unusual key words or names in my historic .docx Word Documents and Pdf's. I'm very...
  6. Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer: Hello, I am trying to get some help from a legit source for this problem. A few weeks ago I noticed that I can no longer Drag & Drop files within File Explorer. I have tried going into Task Manager and then clicking "End Process Tree" and then restarting File Explorer....
  7. searching for a specific string in File Explorer

searching for a specific string in File Explorer: I used to have lots of MP3 files on my network drive that began with "01)." or "02)." etc. I have converted most of them to begin "01" or "02" etc. but now I would like to do a search or "01)." to find any I may have missed but when I search for that it gives me all...
  8. Searching specific files using File Explorer

Searching specific files using File Explorer: a) search for dedicated folders e.g. music folders using explorer. b)speed up the awful win 10 search engine so I do not have to look at an expanding ribbon for what seems ages. Thank you, I very much hope I will not be directed to starting windows with a clean boot and...
  9. Searching a document in containing a specific word from file explorer

Searching a document in containing a specific word from file explorer: I have to find a document(.docx format) containing a specific word by using the search options from the file explorer. eg: I wish to find a word containing the word "thank you" within my documents from file explorer. I have lots of document in that format on my PC. Anyone,...
  10. Searching for documents with a specific text string

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for documents with a specific text string: In WinXP it was possible to search for documents that have a specific text string (meaning a phrase or a word) WITHIN them. In other words, you type in some word or phrase and the "find" function in XP turns up all the documents that contain it. Is it possible to do...