Windows 10: Windows 11 File Explorer is getting a Recommended section

Discus and support Windows 11 File Explorer is getting a Recommended section in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is testing a new recommendations feature for Windows 11's File Explorer application. File Explorer is the default file manager on Windows 11... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 9, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 11 File Explorer is getting a Recommended section

Microsoft is testing a new recommendations feature for Windows 11's File Explorer application. File Explorer is the default file manager on Windows 11 systems.

Recommendations are not a new feature in Windows 11. Microsoft displays recommendations in the Start Menu already, which includes files, and it is also displaying folder recommendations as part of the Quick Assist feature of File Explorer.

Tip: find out how to hide recommended items in the Windows 11 Start Menu.

Current versions of File Explorer display recently used files already. The new recommended section is attached to the Home screen of File Explorer.

Windows 11 File Explorer is getting a Recommended section [​IMG]

Microsoft shared a screenshot of the Recommended section. It shows six document recommendations and recent events associated with them. For one document, File Explorer noted that another user had left a comment, for another, that it was related to a recent meeting.

Microsoft announced the feature on its Windows Insider Blog. There, it notes that the feature is currently only available to users who are signed into Windows with an Azure Active Directory (AAD) account. In other words: users who do not meet the requirement won't see the Recommended section on File Explorer's homepage.

All recommended files "will be cloud files associated with that account", according to Microsoft. Files are only recommended if they are either owned by the user directly, or have been shared with the user.

The feature is being rolled out to all Windows Insiders who have installed the latest Windows 11 Insider build. Not everyone gets it immediately, even if all requirements are met.

Microsoft plans to monitor the rollout of the feature and will use the data gathered in deciding if and when it will be rolled out to everyone. One reason for Microsoft's careful approach is that it has abused the recommendation system in Windows 11 in the past for promotions.

The last thing Microsoft wants is to annoy its Enterprise customers with such a feature. It looks as if the Recommended section can be collapsed, but it is unclear if that is permanent.

Home users may also get another dose of recommendations soon. A recent Insider build introduced a hidden option to show more recommendations in Start, which may include tips, shortcuts and new apps among other things. The feature has a toggle, but it is likely that it will be enabled by default once it lands in Stable versions of the Windows 11 operating system.

Closing Words

Some Enterprise users who use Windows 11 may find the new Recommended section on File Explorer's Homepage useful. It does highlight documents with recent events attached to them, which they may find useful to open them quickly.

Others may have little use for the functionality, as the changes are also provided elsewhere. They may collapse the Recommended section, but it may still occupy space in File Explorer. It is unclear if a toggle to turn it off will be provided.

Now You: what is your take on the new Recommended section?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 11 File Explorer is getting a Recommended section appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 9, 2023

2. Recommended Section Windows 11 : how to display again a file removed from the list ?

Hello,

I like the Recommended section of Windows 11 in Start Menu, especially to open files that I am using frequently.

For some files, I asked Windows 11 by mistake to remove them from the Recommanded section by a 'Right Click' -> Remove from the list.

Now, I want to have them again in the Recommended section.

But I cannot find the way to reinitialize the Recommended section settings or to add them back in the list one by one.

I tried to activate/deactivate Recommended section but it does not do that.

Any advice ?

Thank you for your help.

Kevin_FR_user, Mar 9, 2023
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 9, 2023
  4. Geethu B Win User

Getting about:blank page in Internet Explorer 11

Hi Alvin,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with Internet Explorer 11.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Incorrect Internet Explorer settings.

2. Virus.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to try the steps under the section "Why are webpages blank or displaying incorrectly?" from the following article and check if it helps.

Internet Explorer help - Microsoft Support

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental
    control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run a full scan using Windows Defender and check if it helps.

Protect your PC - Microsoft Support

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Mar 9, 2023
Thema:

1. Windows 11 File Explorer is getting a Recommended section - Similar Threads - File Explorer getting

2. File Explorer - how to get rid of "Recommendations"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer - how to get rid of "Recommendations"?: Win 11's file explorer's silly / unhelpful / unwanted Home thing has in turn something called Recommended. I've tried right clicking on the recommended files and selecting "Remove from Recommended", which does not work. Then I tried the Settings route, i.e., figuring out...
  3. The recommended section and favorite section aren't exhibited on the File Explorer's Home page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The recommended section and favorite section aren't exhibited on the File Explorer's Home page: Since the windows update a few months ago, I noticed that a brand-new recommended section appears on my file explorer's home page, which really facilitates my work efficiency. But recently I found the section disappears and even along with the favorite section on my desktop...
  4. The recommended section and favorite section aren't exhibited on the File Explorer's Home page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The recommended section and favorite section aren't exhibited on the File Explorer's Home page: Since the windows update a few months ago, I noticed that a brand-new recommended section appears on my file explorer's home page, which really facilitates my work efficiency. But recently I found the section disappears and even along with the favorite section on my desktop...
  5. Windows 11 "Recommended" file section - .xlxs file shortcuts not appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 "Recommended" file section - .xlxs file shortcuts not appearing: Hello, a few months back I upgraded from Office 2016 Pro. to Office 2021 Pro. After the upgrade, I noticed my Windows 11 Pro 21H2 - 22000.856 was no longer showing .xlxs file shortcuts in the "Recommended" section. I've tried a "repair" in Office but that didn't resolve the...
  6. Windows 11 "Recommended" file section - .xlxs file shortcuts not appearing

Windows 11 "Recommended" file section - .xlxs file shortcuts not appearing: Hello, a few months back I upgraded from Office 2016 Pro. to Office 2021 Pro. After the upgrade, I noticed my Windows 11 Pro 21H2 - 22000.856 was no longer showing .xlxs file shortcuts in the "Recommended" section. I've tried a "repair" in Office but that didn't resolve the...
  7. Windows 11 Start menu recommended section

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start menu recommended section: I have recently upgraded to windows 11, one issues is there isn't enough space for all the apps I want pinned without scrolling.Half of the space is taken up by the "Recommend" section, I managed to turn all the things off that were showing there, but cannot find how to hide...
  8. Windows 11 Start menu recommended section

Windows 11 Start menu recommended section: I have recently upgraded to windows 11, one issues is there isn't enough space for all the apps I want pinned without scrolling.Half of the space is taken up by the "Recommend" section, I managed to turn all the things off that were showing there, but cannot find how to hide...
  9. Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu

Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu: Microsoft needs to give users the option to completely remove the Recommended section from the Windows 11 Start Menu. I've turned off all recommendations in Settings, and now have half of my Start Menu full of ... dead space.I do not want nor need to see my recent files or...
  10. Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recommended section in Windows 11 Start Menu: Microsoft needs to give users the option to completely remove the Recommended section from the Windows 11 Start Menu. I've turned off all recommendations in Settings, and now have half of my Start Menu full of ... dead space.I do not want nor need to see my recent files or...