Windows 10: Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my...

Discus and support Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Just around a week ago I discovered that in File Explorer my older 4Tb WD Elements drive that I have had for a few years is reading as a 5Tb drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Hoover1979, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my...

Just around a week ago I discovered that in File Explorer my older 4Tb WD Elements drive that I have had for a few years is reading as a 5Tb drive and my new WD Elements 5Tb drive that I bought a few months ago is now recognized as a 4Tb drive. This means I lost a full Tb of space on my new HDD and my old one is now malfunctioning as Windows 11 thinks it has more data on it than it could physically store.Does anyone else have this problem?Is there ANY solution?

:)

Hoover1979, Dec 6, 2023

2. why have ALL my external (WD) hard drives 2tb, 4tb, 5tb been failing on my under one year old Windows 11 laptop since September 2022, and most lost completely since early November 2022?

why would ALL my external (WD) hard drives 2tb, 4tb, 5tb have been failing on my under one year old Windows 11 laptop since September 2022.
    Same with my partner's even newer Windows 11 Laptop and 2-3 of her external (WD) hard drives?

It was bad at first. They could appear intermittently, and then show up as unknown, offline and not initialized.

Some would appear in Disk and Device Management but not in File Explorer. Some wouldn't show up at all.

But most are now permanently not working.

All the suggested fixeds are making no difference:
    - Changing cables, ports and laptops

- Drivers are up to date

-checking Properties in Disk and Device Management merely says they are working properly.

Many thanks!

Porco_Rosso, Dec 6, 2023
  3. Sepidroy Win User
    WD 5TB cloud not shows in windows Explorer

Hi,

I have a WD external HDD( WD 5TB cloud) that was working fine with my network, Which is simple home router based network. Last week I upgraded my windows 7 to Windows 10. From then, my WD HDD folders don't showup in windows explorer, where I could easily
    move my files around. Now I have to work only with web base portal, which is demanding and slow.

I searched thru internet and found out that people have this problem. I followed some of solution, Like adding line to registry, windows credential and none of them work.

My windows can find TV and DVD player but not my WD HDD.

What should I do?

Thanks

Sepidroy, Dec 6, 2023
  4. MikaeelM Win User

Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my...

Windows10 unable to recognise external (USB) HDD (WD My Book 4TB)

Windows10 unable to recognise external (USB) HDD (WD My Book 4TB) - however, I'm able to see all files from a Linux machine i have on same HDD... I dont want to lose my content on the external HDD by reformatting etc. Please help.

MikaeelM, Dec 6, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my...

1. Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my... - Similar Threads - File explorer recognizes

2. Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my...: Just around a week ago I discovered that in File Explorer my older 4Tb WD Elements drive that I have had for a few years is reading as a 5Tb drive and my new WD Elements 5Tb drive that I bought a few months ago is now recognized as a 4Tb drive. This means I lost a full Tb of...
  3. why have ALL my external WD hard drives 2tb, 4tb, 5tb been failing on my under one year old...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why have ALL my external WD hard drives 2tb, 4tb, 5tb been failing on my under one year old...: why would ALL my external WD hard drives 2tb, 4tb, 5tb have been failing on my under one year old Windows 11 laptop since September 2022.Same with my partner's even newer Windows 11 Laptop and 2-3 of her external WD hard drives? It was bad at first. They could appear...
  4. why have ALL my external WD hard drives 2tb, 4tb, 5tb been failing on my under one year old...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why have ALL my external WD hard drives 2tb, 4tb, 5tb been failing on my under one year old...: why would ALL my external WD hard drives 2tb, 4tb, 5tb have been failing on my under one year old Windows 11 laptop since September 2022.Same with my partner's even newer Windows 11 Laptop and 2-3 of her external WD hard drives? It was bad at first. They could appear...
  5. Windows 10 not recognizing Seagate 5TB external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 not recognizing Seagate 5TB external drive: I bought a new 5TB Seagate external portable backup drive. Windows 10 would not recognize it. Windows 10 Device Manager could see and name the device, but when doing 'create and format' the disk, the screen went blank. It even froze the PC. Many other problems materialized...
  6. New WD Black 4TB HDD issues.

New WD Black 4TB HDD issues.: Hello, I just finished upgrading my computer. I have a 4TB WD Black Hard drive and a WD SN750 SSD installed, first time using two drives, and first time using a SSD. I installed new copy of Windows 10 on the SSD, and it shows as C: drive, and I intended to use the 4TB Hard...
  7. Windows 10 Backup and Restore not recognizing WD External HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup and Restore not recognizing WD External HDD: I've recently upgraded from a Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite to a Windows Lenovo Legion Y540 -15IRH. I have a vast gaming library and file structure, so I wanted it all copied from old to new computer. I made a backup of my Toshiba on the WD my passport and attempted to use...
  8. WD My Cloud external drive

WD My Cloud external drive: who do i install my WD My Cloud external drive to my new laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-my-cloud-external-drive/0e21e13b-f8bb-4d9d-a521-b088c13747c5
  9. My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive

My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive: My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive. I've tried to go into Disk Management and I cannot find anything that helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-recognize-my-wd-external-hard/aa33b279-5a52-46cb-b976-51aed92b90c1
  10. File explorer and WD external HDD

File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...