Windows 10: Windows 11 File Explorer slow to respond to keyboard commands

Discus and support Windows 11 File Explorer slow to respond to keyboard commands in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Windows 10 was ok, but I have found Windows 11 File Explorer to be very slow to respond to keyboard navigation i.e. arrow keys selecting files. Typing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AjN3806, Nov 26, 2021.

1. AjN3806 Win User

Windows 11 File Explorer slow to respond to keyboard commands

Windows 10 was ok, but I have found Windows 11 File Explorer to be very slow to respond to keyboard navigation i.e. arrow keys selecting files. Typing the first few letters of a file name to quickly select that file, sometimes works and sometimes it does not. When this does not work, File Explorer selects the first file with a file name beginning with the last letter you typed, instead of the desired file. When the problem occurs, the speed of typing, even when fast and constant, still fails to select the desired file, and selects the first file beginning with the last letter you typed.

:)

AjN3806, Nov 26, 2021

2. Windows 10 : File explorer no responding

We appreciate your time and effort in getting back to us. Sorry for the delay in responding

Are you still facing the issue?

Follow the steps and check if it helps:

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC on the keyboard.
    • Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to access the Command Prompt, type cmd and press Enter. Run the following command.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.

• Click Update and Recovery

• Check for updates under Windows Updates.
    Let us know the status if the issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Nov 26, 2021
  3. File Explorer Not Responding in Windows 10

Hi,

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried to fix the issue?
    • Have you tried clearing your temp files form the system?
    • Do you have enough free space in your C: drive?

For now, I suggest that you run the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

When explorer run slow, open Task Manager and check if there are any services or startup that might be has high memory or CPU usage.

Method 2:

Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's performance, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Click on Run maintenance task under
      System and Security.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Nov 26, 2021
  4. wren9x Win User

Windows 10 file explorer not responding

following ALL of the above steps did nothing. explorer.exe still broken.

additional steps taken:

1x system refresh, explorer still dead

1x clean boot, explorer still dead

3x sfc /scannow, rebooted in between, explorer still dead

1x restore point, all programs uninstalled, explorer worked for 4 hours, then died.

1x reset, explorer still never opened

1x reverted back to 8.1, explorer woked, autoupdated to 10, explorer died

1x COMPLETE WIPE, reinstalled 8.1, autoupdated to 10, explorer died.

wiping again. reeinstalling 8.1. turning off updates for good.

amazing this CRITICAL issue exists at all.

wren9x, Nov 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 11 File Explorer slow to respond to keyboard commands - Similar Threads - File Explorer slow

2. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  3. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  4. Keyboard not working or responding to command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard not working or responding to command: Thank you for your help. The keyboard doesn't respond to command, space bar or clicks don't work. The keys don't function or respond again, it make the system look as if it is slow or freezing. Do i need to take it to the repair guy....
  5. Keyboard not working or responding to command

Keyboard not working or responding to command: Thank you for your help. The keyboard doesn't respond to command, space bar or clicks don't work. The keys don't function or respond again, it make the system look as if it is slow or freezing. Do i need to take it to the repair guy....
  6. Keyboard not working or responding to command

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Keyboard slow to respond and beeping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard slow to respond and beeping: My keyboard is making beep beep noise and its lagging very much I've even connected the external keyboard which is also lagging and making beep noise.But it works fine in bios the issue I'm facing is only in operating system. Please help me out...
  8. Windows 11 File Explorer slow to respond to keyboard commands

Windows 11 File Explorer slow to respond to keyboard commands: Windows 10 was ok, but I have found Windows 11 File Explorer to be very slow to respond to keyboard navigation i.e. arrow keys selecting files. Typing the first few letters of a file name to quickly select that file, sometimes works and sometimes it does not. When this does...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer slow and not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer slow and not responding: As the title above my file explorer takes too long to load when i opened it, or even attaching files online. If I click anything it will show that its not responding and then finish loading after awhile. Other apps work just fine only the file explorer has problem.So far I...
  10. File explorer slow and wont respond

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer slow and wont respond: As the title says my file Explorer is bugging. At startup the file Explorer works perfectly normal, but after a short while it doesent respond when i click the desktop icon and right clicking inside the file Explorer causes the whole thing to freeze. It also loads very...