Windows 10: Windows 11 finally gets an improved volume mixer

Discus and support Windows 11 finally gets an improved volume mixer in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The latest Windows 11 Insider build finally has the new volume mixer functionality included. It is just a matter of time before the improved audio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 3, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 11 finally gets an improved volume mixer

The latest Windows 11 Insider build finally has the new volume mixer functionality included. It is just a matter of time before the improved audio mixer will find its way into stable versions of the operating system.

When Microsoft released Windows 11, it became clear quickly that Microsoft added more steps to reach the volume mixer. It removed the direct option to change the volume of individual apps, and moved it to the Settings application instead.

Current stable versions of Windows 11 display a volume icon in the system tray area, but a left-click on it displays just a global volume slider.

This was a step back for many Windows users, as previous versions of Windows included options right in the system tray area to modify the volume of individual apps. On Windows 11, users have to right-click on the system tray volume icon and select the "open volume mixer" option from the context menu. Windows 11 loads the volume mixer then in the Settings application.

It takes longer and is not as quick as the options that previous versions of Windows offer in this regard.

Third-party programs like Classic Volume Mixer were created to restore the functionality. Now, after more than a year, Microsoft is finally ready to improve audio mixing on Windows 11.

The new volume mixer experience is listed at the very top of the official changelog of Windows 11 build 25309. The new audio mixer is attached to the operating system's Quick Settings and allows users to customize audio per application. It brings back the classic functionality, but also some new options.

Microsoft notes that the new volume mixer may also be used to flip audio devices quickly and to control some audio-related features, such as spatial audio, directly from the Quick Settings menu as well.

The new volume mixer opens on a left-click or tap on the volume icon, and the selection of the "select a sound output" icon next to the volume slider. The audio management interface that opens lists the global volume slider and sliders for each individual app with sound playing capabilities that is open. Windows 11 users may change the volume of individual apps without touching the global volume with three clicks now.

Compared to the current volume mixing option, it is much faster and elegant. Microsoft mapped the new keyboard shortcut Windows-Ctrl-V to the volume mixer as well. The shortcut opens its directly, but changes need to be made with the mouse or by touch at this point. Using the keyboard shortcut speeds up the opening of the full volume mixer further.

Microsoft is rolling out the new volume mixer over time to the entire Insider population. Ashwin's guide on enabling it right now is still valid, and you may check it out here.

Closing Words

The new volume mixer is a big improvement for Windows 11, but not for Windows users who use previous versions of the operating system. Still, it is good to see that Microsoft is reinstating some of the features that it dropped in Windows 11.

Now You: anything missing? What would you like to see supported?

2023/03/windows
    Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 11 finally gets an improved volume mixer appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 3, 2023
  2. Drakbah Win User

Improvement to volume mixer

Would it be very hard to add the functionality highlighted in the illustration below to the Windows 10 volume mixer?

Because this would vastly improve the windows experience for myself and anyone who uses headphones and speakers.

Windows 11 finally gets an improved volume mixer 5ce4bb7d-159f-4f1f-a21f-e052e5f8ea79.jpg

Drakbah, Mar 3, 2023
  3. volume mixer in taskbar in WIndows 10

Hi Caroline,

The requirement of pinning Volume mixer to the taskbar is currently not available in Windows 10. However, you can view Volume mixer from the volume control icon located in the system tray.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Are you not able to see volume icon or the volume mixer on the computer?

• If volume icon, have you enabled the option to show in the system tray?

If you want to view Volume mixer on the PC and have enabled volume icon on the system tray, follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Right click on the volume icon and select
      Open Volume Mixer
      from the context menu.

• Check if the window is accessible on the computer.

Note: The option to pin Volume mixer to the taskbar is not currently available on the computer.

Write to us with the status of pinning Volume mixer on taskbar in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Mar 3, 2023
  4. Windows 11 finally gets an improved volume mixer

Volume Mixer

Hi,

We would like to know more about your concern.

1. Are you getting an error message when using volume mixer with mic?

2. Have you made any changes to your computer?

You may also follow the steps below:

• Can you right click on Speaker Icon - Playback Properties -
    • Click in blank area in box -
    • Check show disabled devices & show disconnected devices - look around in there.

We suggest that you disable the Icon try to reboot your PC and then enable the icon. You may also need to reinstall your sounds driver.

Let us know the outcome.

Karina Aris, Mar 3, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11 finally gets an improved volume mixer

1. Windows 11 finally gets an improved volume mixer - Similar Threads - finally gets improved

2. Volume mixer not remembering volumes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume mixer not remembering volumes: Once a sepcific volume has been set for an application, it usually remains until the next time its been touched again. However here, everytime I change the volume and restart the application, it just falls back in line with the system volume. I am unaware of this happening...
  3. Volume mixer not remembering volumes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume mixer not remembering volumes: Once a sepcific volume has been set for an application, it usually remains until the next time its been touched again. However here, everytime I change the volume and restart the application, it just falls back in line with the system volume. I am unaware of this happening...
  4. Volume Mixer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Volume Mixer: Why does "Host Process for Windows Services" randomly show up in my volume mixer and when I go to try and find it in the Task Manager it does not show up, do I have malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-mixer/0d2a473e-1770-4633-9b09-5703b09f05fd
  5. Volume Mixer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Mixer: Why does "Host Process for Windows Services" randomly show up in my volume mixer and when I go to try and find it in the Task Manager it does not show up, do I have malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-mixer/0d2a473e-1770-4633-9b09-5703b09f05fd
  6. Volume Mixer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Restore the Classic Volume Mixer in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Restore the Classic Volume Mixer in Windows 11: Microsoft removed the classic volume mixer in its Windows 11 operating system and replaced it with a page in the operating system's Settings application. The open source tool Classic Volume Mixer restores the functionality of the volume mixer of previous versions of Windows...
  8. Fix Volume Mixer not opening on Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Volume Mixer not opening on Windows 11: [ATTACH]Volume Mixer panel helps you choose Input/Output device, volume level for a particular app, etc. Whether you use Windows 11 or Windows 10, you need to follow the same steps. However, if the Volume Mixer is not opening on Windows 11/10, here is how you can fix the...
  9. Windows Volume Mixer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Volume Mixer: I have a small question about the volume mixer on windows 10, how can I make it so when windows boots, all levels on the volume mixer are set to 100%? for some reason, the volume mixer never saves what levels it was on last, when Windows boots, FireFox browser for example is...
  10. New Improvements to Mixer Clips

in Windows 10 News
    New Improvements to Mixer Clips: At Mixer, we know how important it is to be able to capture and share your favorite moments with your community. Today, thanks to your feedback, we are excited to share a couple of great new improvements to the Clips experience on Mixer, making it easier to control who can...