Windows 10: Windows 11 Home to Pro: what can go wrong?

Discus and support Windows 11 Home to Pro: what can go wrong? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi,Have brand new laptop with pre-installed Windows 11 Home. Need to upgrade to Pro, via Windows Store. Question is, despite all the posts and messages... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by LuisMGA, Jun 16, 2024.

1. LuisMGA Win User

Windows 11 Home to Pro: what can go wrong?

Hi,Have brand new laptop with pre-installed Windows 11 Home. Need to upgrade to Pro, via Windows Store. Question is, despite all the posts and messages from Windows that it will be a seamless upgrade, I’m not so sure. What should I be looking out for that is unexpected?

:)

LuisMGA, Jun 16, 2024
  2. JonGrimes Win User

Windows 11 Pro Upgrade from Windows 10 Pro Edition

No but after it installed the malfunctioning Windows 11 upgrade it was listed as Windows 11 Pro. Microsoft Windows support advised I reinstall Windows 10 Pro and said that Windows 11 is really only meant for new PC's that come with it preinstalled. MSI website doesn't list my 2020 GT76 Titan dt-039 notebook on their Windows 11 upgrade eligibility list so I guess that's why the Windows 11 Pro upgrade failed. I suggest being careful with trying the Windows 11 upgrade despite it stating my notebook was capable of running Windows 11 it was wrong. Luckily I have the original Windows 10 Pro USB Flash drive because the Windows 11 Pro upgrade was so incomplete I had no way of reverting notebook back to Windows 10 without reinstalling from a USB Flash.

JonGrimes, Jun 16, 2024
  3. Unable to upgrade Windows 11 Home to 11 Pro

Thanks much, Dave, indeed it was a big job.

Clean install of Windows 11 from a bootable USB helped to Activate the Pro.

Just to summarize what was done:

1. Took backup of the drives and save some on cloud.
    2. Installed the Media creation tool app as you suggested (https://www.microsoft.com/software-...t=Windows 11 Installation-,Media,-If you want)
    3. Connected the USB and ran the application and downloaded the Windows 11.
      1. additional thing which I had to do is to install WLAN driver to the USB in advance, to have the WIFI option available as it was required to connect to a network to download the latest windows features while reinstalling the Windows, and Wi-Fi option was not available.
    4. Turned off the 'Secure boot' from the BIOS menu.
    5. Changed the 'Boot Order' in the BIOS menu to first use the USB Boot.
    6. Saved and Exit, which triggered Restart and Windows installation.
    7. During the network connecting stage to install the latest updates and features - 'Let's Connect you to a network', I opened the CMD (Shift + F10) and ran than WLAN driver exe to install it and then I was able to connect to my WIFI network.
      1. Optional to this step is to BYPASS the network connection stage by following this - bypass "lets connect you to a network" - Microsoft Community
      2. Then, doing that manually once Windows has been installed.
    8. Once everything is set-up, I followed the suggestion from this again, and it worked - Unable to upgrade Windows 11 Home to 11 Pro - Microsoft Community

Jagadeesh C R, Jun 16, 2024
  4. JBryan41 Win User

Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade

Want to upgrade 11 Home to 11 Pro. Tried download, but apparently files transferred were for 11 Enterprise. This will not activate; error is "invalid digital license or product key". This is on a new Surface. How to proceed?

Can withdraw/delete this. The suggestion to downgrade - listed below - with a 'fake' windows 10 key works.

JBryan41, Jun 16, 2024
Thema:

1. Windows 11 Home to Pro: what can go wrong? - Similar Threads - Home Pro wrong

2. Go back from Windows 11 Pro to Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Go back from Windows 11 Pro to Windows 11 Home: My new laptop came with Windows 11 Home Single Language installed and activated.. I upgraded to Windows 11 Pro, not realizing that I couldn't use the product key on mu dexktop computer. So now I have windows 11 pro installed, but it can't be activated. There is a message...
  3. Go back from Windows 11 Pro to Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Go back from Windows 11 Pro to Windows 11 Home: My new laptop came with Windows 11 Home Single Language installed and activated.. I upgraded to Windows 11 Pro, not realizing that I couldn't use the product key on mu dexktop computer. So now I have windows 11 pro installed, but it can't be activated. There is a message...
  4. Go back from Wuindows 11 Pro to Windows 11 Home

Go back from Wuindows 11 Pro to Windows 11 Home: I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 11 Home single language. Because my main PC runs a licensed Windows 11 Pro version I thought It'd be nice to have the same version also on the laptop. So on the laptop I ugraded to Windows 11 Pro, but I can't activate it.Now I want...
  5. Windows 11 Home to Pro: what can go wrong?

Windows 11 Home to Pro: what can go wrong?: Hi,Have brand new laptop with pre-installed Windows 11 Home. Need to upgrade to Pro, via Windows Store. Question is, despite all the posts and messages from Windows that it will be a seamless upgrade, I’m not so sure. What should I be looking out for that is unexpected?...
  6. Upgrading to windows 11 pro. Can something go wrong?

Upgrading to windows 11 pro. Can something go wrong?: I'm using a laptop that comes with an integrated genuine Windows license. Now I'm going to upgrade to windows 11 pro using a key. What will happen to my old license? Will it be deleted if I upgrade Windows?...
  7. Upgrading to windows 11 pro. Can something go wrong?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to windows 11 pro. Can something go wrong?: I'm using a laptop that comes with an integrated genuine Windows license. Now I'm going to upgrade to windows 11 pro using a key. What will happen to my old license? Will it be deleted if I upgrade Windows?...
  8. Photo of what is going wrong

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo of what is going wrong: Can someone pls help me, i cannot open most of my files and they all have a grey X https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-of-what-is-going-wrong/332d1913-b5f7-436d-827e-5e400e160824
  9. Photo of what is going wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo of what is going wrong: Can someone pls help me, i cannot open most of my files and they all have a grey X https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-of-what-is-going-wrong/332d1913-b5f7-436d-827e-5e400e160824
  10. Photo of what is going wrong