Windows 10: Windows 11 is getting Presence Sensing privacy settings

Discus and support Windows 11 is getting Presence Sensing privacy settings in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is working on integrating Presence Sensing privacy settings and APIs to its Windows 11 operating system. Presence Sensing makes use of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 13, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 11 is getting Presence Sensing privacy settings

Microsoft is working on integrating Presence Sensing privacy settings and APIs to its Windows 11 operating system. Presence Sensing makes use of sensors that determine whether a user is near a device. This sensing activity may lead to automatic actions, such as locking the device when the user's presence is no longer detected, or to wake a PC when a user is coming inside the sensor's detection radius.

Soon, Windows 11 users may have control over the Presence sensing capabilities of their devices. Microsoft launched a new privacy setting and API in the Insider Preview build 22624.1610, which it released just a moment ago.

Windows 11 users who install the build on devices with presence sensing capabilities may open Settings > Privacy & security > Presence sensing to control the functionality.

Windows 11 is getting Presence Sensing privacy settings [​IMG]

There, they find several options, including one to disable Presence sensing access for all users of the device or for apps that are installed on the device.

The two options give users control over the feature. Toggling them off disables the functionality on the device. It is unclear at this point if certain core operating system features continue to have access to Presence sensing after users turn the feature off.

The Presence sensing Settings page lists recent activity as well on the page; this is useful to check which apps have accessed the functionality on the device in the past. The listing is limited to activity of the past seven days, and lists access chronologically.

Each app is listed with its name, access date and time under recent activity.

Microsoft notes on the Windows blog that it is not collecting any images or metadata, and that all processing "is done locally on the device hardware to maximize privacy".

Application developers may use the newly created API to integrate presence sensing capabilities into their applications. Microsoft notes: "App developers with devices with compatible presence sensors can target apps to request and read user presence information after requesting a human presence capability."

The main API page is available here. It lists technical information, but also additional information. For users, the following information may be relevant also:

• Presence sensing may have a "significant impact" on security, responsiveness and performance.
    • Devices may be locked automatically when left unattended "to protect sensitive files and other info".
    • Developers may infer user intent to "reduce the response time required from detection to authentication or interaction".
    • Devices on battery may last longer by "reducing unnecessary screen idle time".

Soon, privacy apps and policies will be available to manage the feature as well.

Now You: what is your opinion on presence sensing?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 11 is getting Presence Sensing privacy settings appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 13, 2023
  2. Revathi V Win User

Windows 11 presence settings missing

There are no options related to presence sensing in my device.

Revathi V, Apr 13, 2023
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Apr 13, 2023
  4. Callender Win User

Privacy Suggestions? Trying to get Browser Privacy to it's limits.

RE: Librewolf. I don't have any performance issues with it at all.

RE: Configuration.

toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets

Setting the above to true seems to help.

RE: Firefox. I use the 32 bit version on a 64 bit machine. Some tweaks have to be reapplied after an update although in some cases restoring a profile backup might help.

As for Youtube. Forget it. Use an Invidious instance or else use FreeTube app.

Invidious Instances - Invidious Documentation

FreeTube - The Private YouTube Client

Callender, Apr 13, 2023
Thema:

1. Windows 11 is getting Presence Sensing privacy settings - Similar Threads - getting Presence Sensing

2. Presence sensor settings missing in Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Presence sensor settings missing in Settings: I have a new Lenovo Yoga 9i Gen 8 which has presence sensors that are enabled by default. The problem is that Lenovo has removed the adjustments for the sensors from the Windows 11 Settings app. Instead you must use Lenovo Vantage to adjust the sensors. That doesn’t work well...
  3. Presence sensor settings missing in Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Presence sensor settings missing in Settings: I have a new Lenovo Yoga 9i Gen 8 which has presence sensors that are enabled by default. The problem is that Lenovo has removed the adjustments for the sensors from the Windows 11 Settings app. Instead you must use Lenovo Vantage to adjust the sensors. That doesn’t work well...
  4. Why are my presence sensing settings missing in action?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my presence sensing settings missing in action?: I am running WIN 11 Pro OS and despite my screen off/sleep settings my screen keeps going off every time I walk away. I got as far as "Screen and Sleep" with the instructions from the link below, then the trail went cold. There were only four drop downs there to adjust the...
  5. Why are my presence sensing settings missing in action?

Why are my presence sensing settings missing in action?: I am running WIN 11 Pro OS and despite my screen off/sleep settings my screen keeps going off every time I walk away. I got as far as "Screen and Sleep" with the instructions from the link below, then the trail went cold. There were only four drop downs there to adjust the...
  6. Sudden missing presence sensing feature

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden missing presence sensing feature: Hi, my presence sensing feature mysteriously disappeared for no reason. I can't seem to turn it back on since the toggle itself is not in the settings anymore. I hope you can help me with this...
  7. Sudden missing presence sensing feature

Sudden missing presence sensing feature: Hi, my presence sensing feature mysteriously disappeared for no reason. I can't seem to turn it back on since the toggle itself is not in the settings anymore. I hope you can help me with this...
  8. Windows 11 presence settings missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 presence settings missing: There are no options related to presence sensing in my device. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-presence-settings-missing/61551d3c-1b00-48f1-bfce-90b323efbb76
  9. Windows 11 presence settings missing

Windows 11 presence settings missing: There are no options related to presence sensing in my device. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-presence-settings-missing/61551d3c-1b00-48f1-bfce-90b323efbb76
  10. windows 11 privacy settings notification details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 privacy settings notification details: I see notifications saying my privacy settings have blocked access to an app trying to access the camera or microphone on occasion, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what app it is. I find nothing in Event Viewer, nothing in notification settings, nothing anywhere...