Windows 10: Windows 11 is NOT a new Operating System

Discus and support Windows 11 is NOT a new Operating System in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I don't think enough people are spelling this out. Windows 11 is NOT real. Windows 11 is NOT a new operating system. Those of us old enough to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ChampionshipComplex, May 15, 2023.

1. Windows 11 is NOT a new Operating System

I don't think enough people are spelling this out.

Windows 11 is NOT real. Windows 11 is NOT a new operating system.
    Those of us old enough to remember, will know that Windows traditionally came as a massive upgrade every few years. The upgrade would be huge, new drivers would need to be developed, new hardware purchased and all Microsoft users, were strung out across hundreds of different Windows versions, different patch levels, and difference service packs.

That was until 2014 - when Windows 10 was released.
    With Windows 10 - Microsoft under the massive weight of all of the negativity around its poor security, poor reliability, the blue screens of death, the habitual 6 monthly rebuilds to clean out the crap - moved to a model of there only being ONE VERSION OF WINDOWS.

It made perfect sense and has been a game changer. In the past - when someone developed an app or game for windows, or produced some hardware that needed a device driver - they had to test it, and maintain it, across hundreds of different potential configurations of Windows. Windows crashes, slow downs and blue screens of death were the result, and these were not things that Microsoft could address. The sheer complexity of testing compatibility against all these moving parts of Operating system, Service Pack, Patch level, Device Driver, Application was just too difficult.

So Windows 10 over the next 5 years fixed that. App developers, driver developers and testers - now need ONLY test on one version of Windows. The Latest one.

To encourage that, Microsoft had to push hard on the automated updates - they had to offer the updates for free and they had to support a massive array of hardware in one platform.

And it has made a MASSIVE difference. In recent years - Apple has had more security breaches, and patches -than Microsoft has needed. PCs purchased in 2016 in some cases - are working faster now, than when they were built.

We have all benefitted.
    My Windows 10 PC built in 2016 has been absolutely bullet proof, never needed a rebuild and is healthier, more secure and more robust than it has ever been.

While Microsoft didn't specifically say that Windows was now going to be released like this, as a service - that was what was picked up from the engineers - and we all came to believe that Windows 10 was the last version of Windows. Some even mistook this message to believe that Windows was going to disappear (which it is not true).

No - so Microsoft have almost entirely rid themselves of the old label of unreliability, and weak security - which is a remarkable feat given the massive variety of hardware they have to deal with (compared to say Apple, who need test only on a dozen devices).

But as the free feature updates were still coming and benefitting all of us - it has been a problem for Microsoft, that they then need to continue to constrain themselves with the limitations of hardware that is nearly a decade old in some cases but still earmarked for supporting Windows.

There were massive security benefits in having a TPM chip but only computers in the last 5 years have had them, there are massive benefits in being able to develop Windows to expect more than 2GB of memory, or for it to expect a screen resolution better than 800x600. How does Microsoft evolve Windows when they are constrained by having to keep compatibility with hardware that is decades old. The answer is they can't.

So at some point Microsoft has sat down, and looked at what they needed to do - and the choices would have been:
    1) Announce that the minimum requirements for Windows 10 was going to change, and older PCs with less memory, smaller screens and lacking security features would be dropped!!
    2) Continue as they were, with their resources being constantly sucked up with maintaining compatability with older hardware, rather than modernising.
    3) Pretend that there is a new version of Windows called Windows 11 - and set the minimum requirements at a new higher level

The first option has a lot of negative press associated with it, the second isn't maintainable for ever, the third - allows the resetting of the baseline of Windows to a more modern standard, gives them a whole new marketing cycle where people talk about the upgrade, and so 3 was the obvious choice.

How do we know this is true - Well you've only got to look at the internal build numbers for Windows. Windows 11 22H2 for example, internally inside Windows is version 10.0.22621.521.
    Applications and drivers inside Windows 11 - are not even able to differentiate Windows 10 from 11 - because by every metric that matters this is only a feature update.

Other than this - the difference are cosmetic. They moved the main Start icons from the left to the middle. And some features which were intended for Windows 10 - only got released on Windows 11.

So this is a new operating system in number only. That's a good thing, not a bad thing. Windows 10 has had dozens of continual major improvements and updates since its release - Windows 11 is just a continuation of that, but frees Microsoft up to focus on the new.

I cant complain - I've got a PC I built in 2016 - which runs better today than when I built it, but won't be upgradable to Windows 11 but will get security patches for more than two more years (a decade of support) - and it will continue to run without support if I want after that.
    Then I have a newer PC built this year which will probably last another decade.

This is still better than previously :

Windows NT - 1994-2001
    Windows 95 - 1995-2001
    Windows 98 - 1998-2006
    Windows 98 2nd Edition - 1999-2006
    Windows Me - 2000-2006
    Windows XP - (6 versions between 2001-2005 to 2014)
    Windows Vista - 2007-2017
    Windows 7 - 2009-2020
    Windows 8 - 2012 - 2016
    Windows 8.1 - 2013 - 2023
    Windows 10 - 2013-2023
    Windows 11- 2021-???

So not a new operating system - but Windows as a service, where the only version of Windows available being the latest, and an adjusting of the minimum hardware requirements to expect a 4GB of memory, better screen resolutions, a modern BIOS, a security chip and support for more modern processors.

submitted by /u/ChampionshipComplex
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ChampionshipComplex, May 15, 2023

2. New Operating System!

Is there a new upcoming operating system after Windows-10 in the near future? (like windows 11 or 12 or something like this?)

BarkatAli3, May 15, 2023
  3. zbook Win User
    Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, May 15, 2023
  4. Windows 11 is NOT a new Operating System

' choose an operation system to start"

Hi Bob,

To better assist you, do let us the complete message that you receive.

Sometimes, this could be due to two operating system installed in your computer. Just to make sure this is not the case, I suggest you to try the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type msconfig and press enter.

3. Click the "boot" tab and check if there are any other operating system listed.

4. In addition, change the timeout time to 3 seconds(default)

Let us know the result, we will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, May 15, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11 is NOT a new Operating System

1. Windows 11 is NOT a new Operating System - Similar Threads - Operating System

2. i re installed my operating system windows 8 pro, updates problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i re installed my operating system windows 8 pro, updates problem: i re installed my operating system windows 8 pro, updates problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-re-installed-my-operating-system-windows-8-pro/cbec03ad-b505-4798-8266-e9b8c39f485a
  3. i re installed my operating system windows 8 pro, updates problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i re installed my operating system windows 8 pro, updates problem: i re installed my operating system windows 8 pro, updates problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-re-installed-my-operating-system-windows-8-pro/cbec03ad-b505-4798-8266-e9b8c39f485a
  4. error 1962 no operating system found. boot sequence will automatically repeat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error 1962 no operating system found. boot sequence will automatically repeat: Al encender la PC me salió ese error, presiono cualquier tecla y vuelve a salir, probé iniciar desde un USB de arranque y queda la pantalla negra con puntos de colores, probé cambiando configuración de arranque en la bios y sigue igual ya no se que hacer....
  5. error 1962 no operating system found. boot sequence will automatically repeat

error 1962 no operating system found. boot sequence will automatically repeat: Al encender la PC me salió ese error, presiono cualquier tecla y vuelve a salir, probé iniciar desde un USB de arranque y queda la pantalla negra con puntos de colores, probé cambiando configuración de arranque en la bios y sigue igual ya no se que hacer....
  6. error 1962 no operating system found. boot sequence will automatically repeat

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata.: If <ESC> is pressed then this appears:Then appears a blue screen error that shows the stop code Inaccessible boot device. I tried startup repair, system restore, uninstall update. But nothing worked...
  8. The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata.: If <ESC> is pressed then this appears:Then appears a blue screen error that shows the stop code Inaccessible boot device. I tried startup repair, system restore, uninstall update. But nothing worked...
  9. The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata.

10. A component of the operating system has expired Error code : 0x0000605 memtest.efi windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A component of the operating system has expired Error code : 0x0000605 memtest.efi windows 11: I installed a new RAM and i checked it with Windows Memory Diagnostics, and this is what it went, how to fix this? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-component-of-the-operating-system-has-expired/1d91b1ef-b2a2-4888-a8b4-b4707a3669c6