Windows 10: Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them

Discus and support Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Jump lists are great, a real help for productivity. But I've found recently that a jump list with a window open behind it just disappears -- there's no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Moray Guise, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them

Jump lists are great, a real help for productivity. But I've found recently that a jump list with a window open behind it just disappears -- there's no way to select a window icon from the jump list, unless I close or minimise the window that's behind it. Rather spoils the productivity.Here's what I've tested.A jump list for an application with no window open: right-click on the taskbar, list appears, no problem.Jump list with one or more windows open, and no window open behind the icons: whether I click on the app icon in the taskbar first, or just hover the mouse over the app icon, I ca

:)

Moray Guise, Nov 28, 2022
  2. Mooch Win User

Taskbar program Jump List disappears

Hi,

I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro and I have somewhat of a quirky problem. My taskbar is at the bottom
    of the screen but I have it expanded to 2 rows, e.g. twice as "thick" vertically as the default. When I right-click on any pinned icons on the bottom row and move the mouse up vertically to access the jump list of that particular program, the jump list
    disappears. It seems to be a focus problem of sorts as if I resize the taskbar back to the default, the issue doesn't happen.

Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them [​IMG]

Mooch, Nov 28, 2022
  3. MJS1A Win User
    Jump Lists not working in Windows 10

Bond,

I found out how to reset items in the jump lists. This will remove all pinned items. Also, through my own observation, I found that you can have 12 things total, pinned and recent, show up in jump lists. This is the jump list that's associated with the pinned
    icon on the taskbar, i.e. word, etc.

Strangely enough, I have 11 documents pinned to the word jump list, and nothing shows up in recent, but I once had 12 pinned. Obviously I can't pin another document because nothing will now show up in recent. However, if I pin less then 11 then the remainder
    will show up in recent. For example, 10 pinned and 1 recent, 9 pinned and 2 recent etc.

Also, there is nothing that I can find that will increase the total items pinned, or recent, or both.

Anyway, the text below shows how to completely remove all pinned and recent and start from a blank jump list (I just deleted everything in the folder and then opened word and chose "file" and then "open" and looked in "recent" and pinned whatever I couldn't
    get onto the jump list on the word icon on the taskbar.

I found it at this link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/windows-taskbar-jump-lists-dont-show-recently-used

1. Open Windows Explorer .

2. Type or copy and paste the following into the address bar:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

3. Identify files that are comparatively larger in size than the rest of the file, such as files that have file size of 1 MB or more.

Delete the abnormal file. Tip: If you do not want to retain the Jump Lists’ recent items history on all applications, just delete all the automaticDestinations-ms files in the folder.

4. The recent items functionality on Jump Lists will be restored. The recent items on the Jump Lists will be re-added as the program is been used. However, do note that the solution does not restore the previously pinned items. So user will have
    to pin new items again.

Hope that this helps. See what happens if you follow the steps above to reset the jump lists.

MJS1A, Nov 28, 2022
  4. Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them

Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Nov 28, 2022
Thema:

Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them

1. Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them - Similar Threads - jump list icons

2. Windows Explorer Jump list shortcuts disappear.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Jump list shortcuts disappear.: There is currently an issue where the Jump List quick access disappears for unknown reasons. Unfortunately, the error has not been identified so far. Deleting the contents in the "AutomaticDestination" and "CustomDestination" folders did not resolve the issue.I wonder....-...
  3. Windows Explorer Jump list shortcuts disappear.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer Jump list shortcuts disappear.: There is currently an issue where the Jump List quick access disappears for unknown reasons. Unfortunately, the error has not been identified so far. Deleting the contents in the "AutomaticDestination" and "CustomDestination" folders did not resolve the issue.I wonder....-...
  4. Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them

Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them: Jump lists are great, a real help for productivity. But I've found recently that a jump list with a window open behind it just disappears -- there's no way to select a window icon from the jump list, unless I close or minimise the window that's behind it. Rather spoils the...
  5. Jump lists?

Jump lists?: Win 10 Pro 22H2, fully up-to-date.Not sure this is a Jump List issue or something else...In the past, when I clicked Start>Run I could click the v at right end of the Open: box to pop up and select from a list of recently run apps, eg, msinfo32, regedit, services.msc, etc....
  6. JUMP Lists

in Windows 10 Customization
    JUMP Lists: Do JUMP Lists still work in the Windows 10 taskbar? For Windows 10 Home, Version 20H2, OS build 19042.1165. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-lists/30e338af-26cf-434d-9f56-d39d975ba257
  7. Jump list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Jump list: If you don't want jump list on the web browser in the taskbar 1.Settings 2.personalisation 3.start 4.Show recently opened items in jump list on start or the taskbar, click off. However this works only once, when you reboot and use your web browser, the jump list ends up...
  8. Pinned icons disappear once I open them.

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned icons disappear once I open them.: Hi I'm new to Win10 from win7. Sometimes I want to open more than one instance of something. E.g. a web browser, or wndows explorer. But when I open either of these from pinned shortcuts on the taskbar the icon disappears! This is not only annoying but completely...
  9. Jump List Items not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump List Items not Opening: Is anyone having the issue where you open your jump list in File Explorer and then click on something like your Videos or Downloads Folder to have the jump list close like normal, but then nothing open? I also noticed that when I right click on the start button, I can't get...
  10. Taskbar program Jump List disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar program Jump List disappears: Hi, I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro and I have somewhat of a quirky problem. My taskbar is at the bottom of the screen but I have it expanded to 2 rows, e.g. twice as "thick" vertically as the default. When I right-click on any pinned icons on the bottom...