Windows 10: Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup

Discus and support Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; One of the features that Microsoft's Windows operating system was lacking up until now was an option to restore installed apps on devices during setup.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 24, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup

One of the features that Microsoft's Windows operating system was lacking up until now was an option to restore installed apps on devices during setup. Google's Android operating system, for instance, supports the functionality, so that all apps from Google Play may be installed on a new device automatically.

Microsoft revealed that Windows 11 will be getting such functionality this year. It works for Microsoft accounts and will save information about apps in the cloud. A user who has used the feature on a PC in the past may use it to restore apps and some settings on another device. This may speed up setup of a new Windows PC, but there is a caveat.

The backup and restore feature is powered by Microsoft Store, which may also mean that it is limited to apps offered on the Store. Microsoft has not specified this and we will have to wait until the company reveals more details about the feature or releases it to the public. Windows users who do not use the Microsoft Store much or at all won't really benefit from the feature if it is limited to the Microsoft Store catalog.

The feature works as expected. Windows users who sign-in with a Microsoft account receive a prompt during the initial setup of the device. Microsoft asks them whether they want to restore apps and settings from a backup.

Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup windows-restore-apps.jpg

Users who accept this will have the apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store when they select the application icons on their taskbar and Start Menu. It is not as automated as it could be, as apps appear to be downloaded only when a user activates an icon for the first time.

Functionality may change before the official release or improved at a later stage. Microsoft could, for instance, use the Windows Package Manager winget to download non-Store programs to the user's device, if they were part of a cloud backup. This is speculation however.

Closing Words

Microsoft customers who use the Store to download apps will benefit from this feature the most, there is no doubt about that. It still sounds a bit unpractical, if it is true that apps are only downloaded when users click on the pinned icons after setup.

Now You: useful feature or not, what do you think? (via Windows Central)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 24, 2023
  2. Dos101 Win User

Windows Phone users Clubhouse

I think I'll put a list of people's favourite apps in the OP, starting with my own until I get some suggestions, but you can take a look at the Windows Phone app store at the top apps to see what's popular Microsoft Apps

You are both now added, welcome! *Toast :toast:

Dos101, May 24, 2023
  3. hellrazor Win User
    Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, May 24, 2023
  4. Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup

Windows XP PRO error after restore

System restore is handy when it works like it did for me 2 days ago saving the need to reinstall all of my software as well as windows, id suggest using norton Ghost 12 for an excellent system restore feature.

jocksteeluk, May 24, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup

1. Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup - Similar Threads - may soon restore

2. Soon, Windows 11 users may uninstall more Microsoft Stock Apps

in Windows 10 News
    Soon, Windows 11 users may uninstall more Microsoft Stock Apps: One of the main points of criticism leveled against Microsoft and its Windows 11 operating system is that many of the stock apps can't be uninstalled easily. Users who attempt to uninstall certain Microsoft apps under Settings > Apps > Installed Apps will notice that...
  3. Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover: Windows 11 users may soon use the built-in Search of the operating system by just hovering over the search field on the taskbar. The change landed in the latest Windows 11 Dev build and is hidden by default in that build. Earnings from sales of the Windows operating system...
  4. You may soon use Tabs in Notepad for Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    You may soon use Tabs in Notepad for Windows 11: Microsoft seems to be working on bringing support for tabs to the default Windows plain text editor Notepad. A screenshot of an internal version of Notepad was posted to Twitter by a Microsoft Senior Product Manager. The tweet has been deleted in the meantime, but the Web...
  5. Two users during Windows 11 setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two users during Windows 11 setup: I bought a new computer for my husband and somehow during initial setup, I ended up with two users. I installed some important software on the first account. The next day, I realized he had two accounts. I went in to the second account, restored all his data from Carbonite...
  6. Two users during Windows 11 setup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two users during Windows 11 setup: I bought a new computer for my husband and somehow during initial setup, I ended up with two users. I installed some important software on the first account. The next day, I realized he had two accounts. I went in to the second account, restored all his data from Carbonite...
  7. Restore Windows Setup

Restore Windows Setup: My computer was corrupted.I have used another computer to allow me access. However, I need to get my Original Windows Setup. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-windows-setup/0ff9699c-680e-4c3e-9c00-3698be0f68bd
  8. Windows 11 Authenticator App Setup during Autopilot for new users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Authenticator App Setup during Autopilot for new users: We have been testing autopilot on a host of users and devices before mass deployment of PCs. One issue we ran into was a new user that has not set up the authenticator app, is unable to get past the setup screens during the OOBE. None of the screens scroll horizontally and...
  9. Windows 11 Authenticator App Setup during Autopilot for new users

Windows 11 Authenticator App Setup during Autopilot for new users: We have been testing autopilot on a host of users and devices before mass deployment of PCs. One issue we ran into was a new user that has not set up the authenticator app, is unable to get past the setup screens during the OOBE. None of the screens scroll horizontally and...
  10. Windows 10 users may soon uninstall more native apps

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 users may soon uninstall more native apps: Microsoft plans to unlock uninstall options for more native applications that the company's Windows 10 operating system comes with by default. Native applications provide users of the operating system with all kinds of functionality: from viewing photos and editing images to...