Windows 10: Windows 11 MSI MEG x570 AMD Freezing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Discus and support Windows 11 MSI MEG x570 AMD Freezing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows 11 system has been freezing up several times a day for the last month. Sometimes this creates a BSOD and minidump, other times it's just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ryan D. Marshall, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Windows 11 MSI MEG x570 AMD Freezing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Windows 11 system has been freezing up several times a day for the last month. Sometimes this creates a BSOD and minidump, other times it's just unresponsive and requires a hard reboot. Problem may reoccur within a few minutes, or a half a day of steady use. It occurs when in constant use; and when idle or overnight. This system worked for over a year without issues. Nothing identifiable changed proceeding this issue.Basic ConfigCPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 3701 Mhz, 12 Cores, 24 Logical Processors\MB: MSI MEG x570 Godlike updated firmwareOS:

:)

Ryan D. Marshall, Mar 12, 2023

2. Cannot install windows 11 22H2 upgrade or a fresh install. BSOD

Hello,

I cannot install a new version or upgrade to windows 11 22H2

A fresh install of windows 10 or windows 11 21H2 works, but not for 11 22H2.

I receive a BSODs like KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL during installation.

The latest HW change I did is replacing the graphics card to RTX 4070Ti.

I have upgraded to the latest BIOS on my motherboard.

HW:

AMD Ryzen 9 3950x

MSI Meg x570 Unify

32GB RAM

Nvidia RTX 4070Ti

Alen Skondro, Mar 12, 2023
  3. JGSTOR91 Win User
    Ryzen 5800x + X570 tomahawk WIFI BSOD

Hello there,

I recently purchased a MSI x570 tomahawk wifi and after assembling i am facing lots of BSOD issue. After days of reading troubleshooting steps on linustechtip, MSI, AMD, reddit forums i am still facing BSOD UNLESS i turn off Core Performance Boost (CPB) in BIOS. Hope i can get some further help here. Please find below a summary of my setup below:

My new setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (NEW)

MOBO: MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (NEW)

DRAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB X 2, 3600Mhz (CM4X16GD3600C18K2D-CN ver 3.44, CM64X16GD3600C18K2D-CN ver 5.49) (NEW)

GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 2070 Super Twin Fan 8GB (OLD)

PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 Full Modular 80+ Gold (OLD)

SSD: Samsung EVO 980 PRO M.2 (NEW)

BIOS version: E7C84AMS.150

CPU cooler: AMD Wraith (NEW) *Planning to upgrade to a AIO soon after i get this bsod sorted out.

Issues faced:

1. Constant BSOD (WHEA) before reaching Windows.
    2. Sometimes able to go into Windows but after 1-2min of idling (low load) will BSOD (WHEA)
    3. Windows event viewer showing Kernel power (41)

Troubleshooting steps taken:

1. Reinstalling windows from flash drive.
    2. Updating bios, chipset, NVIDIA and windows /drivers update to latest.
    3. Reseat CPU, PSU, RAM, GPU (basically all connections).
    4. Following AMD troubleshooting steps.
    5. i) Clearing CMOS by removing MOBO battery.
    6. ii) Set power supply idle to Typical in BIOS.
    7. iii) Select balanced power plan in Control Panel.
    8. iv) Sliding performance and energy slider to middle.
    1. Swapping DIMM slots between 2,4 and 1,3 and trying with 1 ram only.
    2. Turn off C-state BIOS.
    3. Turning off XMP.
    4. Turning off PBO. (Precision Boost Overdrive)
    5. Manually setting Vram to 1.35V.
    6. Running memtest86 using OLD MOBO and OLD INTEL CPU with NEW RAM. 4passes with 0 errors.
    7. Chip temperature should not cause BSOD as im constantly checking and only reaching 35-45deg on idling. Setup in aircon room with ambient 23-24deg.
    8. Running memtest86 on NEW MOBO with NEW RAM.
    9. Testing with a different RAM, MOBO, and PSU model (borrow from friend)

Further troubleshooting using friend's mobo and chip:

1. Able to run under load and idle after installing my 5800x onto my friend's X570 gigabyte gaming x with CPB turned on and XMP.

2. My friend's 3700x is able to run in my x570 tomahawk wifi board with CPB turned on and XMP.

3. I have RMA the X570 tomahawk wifi mobo and still facing the same issues with the new 5800x CPU.

I'm confused as to why the 5800x is able to run stable on the gigabyte board but not on the MSI board, and the 3700x cpu is able to run stable on the both boards. The ONLY way to get the pc (5800x + MSI x570) to run windows without BSOD is to TURN OFF CPB. (Tested for more then 5hours with iding load no BSOD). As soon as i turn on CPB, BSOD (WHEA) appears at the login screen.

Hope to get some advice and thank you in advance.

JGSTOR91, Mar 12, 2023
  4. redhonker Win User

Windows 11 MSI MEG x570 AMD Freezing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Fix random freeze for AMD CPU, MSI motherboard and nVidia Video Card

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

GeForce GT 710

AMD FX-8320E CPU

MSI 970A-G46 motherboard

The system freezes randomly without trace in event viewer. Sometimes the freeze will recover. Sometimes only a hard reset will do. No clear usage pattern causing this. It can happen right after reboot or idling. Another issue was there is random buzz
    during audio playback

I have done a lot research and experiment. And finally I have a stable system for over a week. Here is a quick summary. Hope this can help others.

• Clean installation of Windows 10 with network unplugged. Initially I did the upgrade from Windows 7 so was not sure if it's because of that. So I did clean installation this time but still got the random freeze.
    • Install nVidia Driver. I tried several versions and got random freeze with each of them. So I settled with one that I used before 364.72. This is before step 3. After that, I did not go back to upgrade the driver again.
    • nVidia driver installer will corrupt opencl.dll. I used

SFC and DISM
      and fix it. I suspect this also causes the random buzz during audio playback but I can't confirm it since I did not play audio at this point
    • Plug in the network and update. Freeze continues
    • Upgrade SSD firmware. Freeze continues
    • Upgrade motherboard BIOS. I've checked MSI website many times and it never showed an update. It turns out that you have to install MSI Live Update. It showed available update and I installed it
    • System fails to start after BIOS update. Had to pin-reset and it rebooted fine. Went into BIOS and configured as I would normally do. Reboot, freeze continues.
    • Run memtest86+ overnight. No error. Reboot, freeze continues.
    • Went back into BIOS, disabled C6 State in power management (kept C1E enabled). Rebooted, no freeze in a week

I can't say everyone has the same problem. I had to spent several days to troubleshoot and had essentially 3 issues

• nVidia driver corrupts opencl.dll
    • BIOS update
    • Disable CS State
    One thing worth note. I have 2x8 GB Patriot RAM. In BIOS, I've enabled AMP. According the manufacturer spec and CPU-Z, CAS under AMP is 10. However, CPU-Z showed the actual CAS is 9. I did notice this until the system became stable. Since memtest86+
    passed overnight, I did not slow the RAM down.

I started with a Radeon video card. It had many crashes. I blamed it on the lack of updated video driver (AMD abandoned the old cards) and switched to nVidia. I did not go back to test this with Radeon card.

redhonker, Mar 12, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11 MSI MEG x570 AMD Freezing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

1. Windows 11 MSI MEG x570 AMD Freezing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION - Similar Threads - MSI MEG x570

2. B550 to X570

in Windows 10 Gaming
    B550 to X570: I currently have a gigabyte aourus B550 Elite V2 and I am swapping it for a gigabyte X570 Extreme motherboard Will i need to reinstall Windows or any types of drivesMy CPU and GPU and RAM will be staying the sameAMD Ryzen 5 5700XNvidia GeForce 407032GB ram x4...
  3. Windows 11 MSI MEG x570 AMD Freezing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 MSI MEG x570 AMD Freezing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION: Windows 11 system has been freezing up several times a day for the last month. Sometimes this creates a BSOD and minidump, other times it's just unresponsive and requires a hard reboot. Problem may reoccur within a few minutes, or a half a day of steady use. It occurs when...
  4. Windows 11 Professional OEM MSI B550 upgraded to X570 Unify

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Professional OEM MSI B550 upgraded to X570 Unify: Issue: Problems activating OEM Windows 11 ProfessionalI upgraded the motherboard and just transferred my cpu, nvme, memory and 2 gpu'sHardware setupAMD 5900xMSI x570 UnifyKingston Memory 128GBKingston KC3000 2TB2x MSI 3090 Ventus OCEVGA 1300 G2When I went to change the...
  5. Windows 11 Professional OEM MSI B550 upgraded to X570 Unify

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Professional OEM MSI B550 upgraded to X570 Unify: Issue: Problems activating OEM Windows 11 ProfessionalI upgraded the motherboard and just transferred my cpu, nvme, memory and 2 gpu'sHardware setupAMD 5900xMSI x570 UnifyKingston Memory 128GBKingston KC3000 2TB2x MSI 3090 Ventus OCEVGA 1300 G2When I went to change the...
  6. MEG x570 ACE MOBO with Ryzen 9 CPU Windows 10 Install Problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MEG x570 ACE MOBO with Ryzen 9 CPU Windows 10 Install Problems: Hi all, After a few days of chugging at this problem, trying bios tweaks and following guides, I still cannot seem to install windows on this machine. Using both the MCT from windows itself and Rufus with a ISO image of windows 10 nets a windows blue screen error...
  7. Msi amd x570 bios

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Msi amd x570 bios: Just recently built a new MSI X570 Edge WIFI motherboard. Replaced the ASUS X470 Pro as it stuck in a black screen while booting. The change in the MB fixed that problem. A new problem arose as the sound had a latency issue and it appears that the BIOS is the problem. [img]...
  8. Power for the msi x570 gaming plus

Power for the msi x570 gaming plus: Hi i have purchased a msi x570 gaming plus. For the power connector it has a 8+4 config, do i need to run both or can i just use the 8 pin? I watched a video and they say the 4 pin doesn't need to be used. YouTube I have the corsair tx650m gold 80+,It has the 24 pin and 8 pin...
  9. Power for the msi x570 gaming plus

Power for the msi x570 gaming plus: Hi i have purchased a msi x570 gaming plus. For the power connector it has a 8+4 config, do i need to run both or can i just use the 8 pin? I watched a video and they say the 4 pin doesn't need to be used. YouTube I have the corsair tx650m gold 80+,It has the 24 pin and 8 pin...
  10. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION screen freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION screen freezing: Hello, For a few weeks now I have found my PC will seem to occasionally freeze unexpectedly and completely. Seems to happen while browsing the internet. I have to press and hold the power button to restart. Today was the first time it went to a blue screen. I didn't...