Windows 10: Windows 11 not indexing Word documents--but is indexing other file types

Discus and support Windows 11 not indexing Word documents--but is indexing other file types in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When I search for a file from Windows explorer and look for a word inside of documents, it will find pdf, txt, xlsx, etc. but not docx or doc. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by SerenePDX, Jan 27, 2022.

1. SerenePDX Win User

Windows 11 not indexing Word documents--but is indexing other file types

When I search for a file from Windows explorer and look for a word inside of documents, it will find pdf, txt, xlsx, etc. but not docx or doc. I tried rebuilding and moving the index. I tried "$manifest = Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore.InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest" In the advanced options all of the file types are checked including doc and docx. I tried unchecking all the Word extensions and rebuilding the index which showed 31,000 items. I then rechecked the Word extensions and rebuilt the index. It showed 61,000

:)

SerenePDX, Jan 27, 2022

2. windows 10 indexing and removing web results revisited

Hi,

Win 10 Pro version 1607

There alot of posts on these topics, and at least some are outdated. Hoping for some new insight that I couldn't find amongst all the older posts.

• Cortana web search suggestions interfere substantially in the usability of Windows 10 search functionality for me. How do I remove them entirely from the list of suggested results? There no longer seems to be a setting in Cortana to disable this.
    • Indexing has been "completed" on this new Windows 10 Pro machine. I have a 1TB data drive with 500GB of documents, images, videos, etc. The data drive is included in the indexed locations. Identically named files in one folder on the drive show up in
      search results, while those in another folder do not show up. Some word documents show up, others don't. Folder names also do not show up in the search results. The contents of this data drive were previously on a data drive in a Win7 machine, where the
      indexing and search results were instant, comprehensive, and accurate: the results list included any match or partial match of a file name, folder name, or (for certain file types) document content. How do I achieve a comparable level of performance in Windows
      10?
    Things I have tried:

• Running the troubleshooter as an administrator: no suggestions.
    • Rebuilding the index. I am unclear whether I "did this as an administrator". I did it while logged in as an administrator, but I cannot right click and run the Indexing Options "as an administrator".
    • I have verified that text document types (word docs, txt, etc.) have both properties and contents indexed.
    Thanks

Russell

RussellWyeth, Jan 27, 2022
  3. AsRock Win User
    is it better to turn indexing off?

You can add what you want to it. If the file extension is in the list it will index it but don't tell it to index the properties and file contents unless the file is like a .CFG .TXT .INI type file.

AsRock, Jan 27, 2022
  4. Windows 11 not indexing Word documents--but is indexing other file types

Indexing is not working

Hi Doc,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

This issue may occur due to corrupt Windows search files or settings. I suggest you to follow the below method and check if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to run search and indexing troubleshooter
    and check. Please follow these steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.

• Click troubleshooting in the search results.

• Click "View all" and then click "Search and Indexing".

• Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Check if Indexing and Windows Search services are enabled. If not, enable them, if they are already enabled, then disable Windows Search Service and then enable again and restart.

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type services in the run box, go to the Windows search services and restart them.
    Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Jan 27, 2022
Thema:

Windows 11 not indexing Word documents--but is indexing other file types

1. Windows 11 not indexing Word documents--but is indexing other file types - Similar Threads - indexing Word documents

2. Windows 11 - Indexing is paused. Indexing does not work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Indexing is paused. Indexing does not work.: Search indexing is not working/updating. It continually stays paused. This is greatly affecting my use of Outlook / search functions.I see the attached error "Indexing is paused"Windows search service is running.Running Windwos 11 Home , 23H2 version.Can someone assist here?...
  3. Windows 11 - Indexing is paused. Indexing does not work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Indexing is paused. Indexing does not work.: Search indexing is not working/updating. It continually stays paused. This is greatly affecting my use of Outlook / search functions.I see the attached error "Indexing is paused"Windows search service is running.Running Windwos 11 Home , 23H2 version.Can someone assist here?...
  4. Windows 11 not indexing Word documents--but is indexing other file types

Windows 11 not indexing Word documents--but is indexing other file types: When I search for a file from Windows explorer and look for a word inside of documents, it will find pdf, txt, xlsx, etc. but not docx or doc. I tried rebuilding and moving the index. I tried "$manifest = Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore.InstallLocation +...
  5. Making an Index in Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making an Index in Word: how do I make an index with last name followed by the list of first names? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/making-an-index-in-word/c52ce751-9cfb-4530-8846-27a1c28ad167
  6. Making an Index in Word

Making an Index in Word: how do I make an index with last name followed by the list of first names? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/making-an-index-in-word/c52ce751-9cfb-4530-8846-27a1c28ad167
  7. OneNote not indexing words searched

OneNote not indexing words searched: My first few pages in OneNote were able to be indexed, when I search a specific word they would be highlighted Now, majority of my OneNote pages do not show up when I search for words that are clearly in them. The pages are PDF print outs and if I type notes onto them,...
  8. documents folder in index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    documents folder in index: what does a red x mean when attached to a documents folder in the index https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-folder-in-index/93395550-ca04-41d3-982d-5e1f89fbf8c5"
  9. Windows Defender "Scan Type Index"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender "Scan Type Index": I found out how to see the event logs for Windows Defender scans from a thread on eightforums ("Windows Defender - where are the Scan Results?"). I just ran a full scan, but Windows Defender apparently ran a quick scan afterwards, so there is no confirmation on the WD user...
  10. index Documents on NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    index Documents on NAS: The folder 'My Documents' is on my Nas-server. How can I index this folder. In windows 7 I used Library Tool, in my opinion it is not working on W10 9615