Windows 10: Windows 11 Promising but still a Mess

Discus and support Windows 11 Promising but still a Mess in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, I was a Apple only user for 29 years. I joined Android and Windows at the release date of Windows 10. Switching to Android was awesome and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by The Pool Man, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Windows 11 Promising but still a Mess

Greetings, I was a Apple only user for 29 years. I joined Android and Windows at the release date of Windows 10. Switching to Android was awesome and a one way ticket. Windows 10? A mixed bag. My #1 complaint about Windows was how messy and dated even said 'new' OS was. To me Windows has always been a decade behind and proudly so. I'm not talking about Macs only. If Zorin OS ran every app Windows did I'd be using Zorin. So you think I'd be the happiest claim in the bay with the imminent release of Windows 11. I mean just LOOK -- WHAT'S RIGHT 1. I've been using an app to force my taskbar to center. And another app to make it transparent. I don't know if 11 will offer the latter but I'll be very pleased to have the former built into the OS. 2. That hazy Windows default desktop background is the first thing I get rid of helping someone setup their new PC. This is a background I'd be in no hurry to remove. What's also smart about it is -- 3. -- when considering Freud let's just say... it's a feminine friendly image. Steve Jobs realized half of the population was being snubbed by PC manufacturers and he/Apple have/do brilliantly exploit that to this day. So this desktop pic is a win. 4. At first glance that new Start Menu looks like a good idea. I personally like the current Start Menu with tiles because it offers such flexibility. But I understand that most users are terrified of it because it isn't even remotely easy to manage. To this day if I accidentally create a folder of items I nearly lose my mind trying to 'un-folder' the items. Very poor design. WHAT'S WRONG Where to begin? 1. It seems to me most users have rejected RECENTS and TIMELINE. Yet here it is back again as 'recents'. Hopefully this can be turned off. 2. Why have an all apps button? If designed properly you'd simply continue scrolling thru apps. Adds a step and window that is unnecessary. 3. Win11 replicates Win10's issue of having important information/settings EVERYWHERE instead of organized. Let's for a moment consider the areas we need to see now and again -- a. Start Menu b. Apps (Preferred as well as All Apps) c. Taskbar d. The righthand side of the taskbar (always forget what this is called that includes) time, date, volume control icon, hidden icons etcetera e. Notifications (hidden until you click that button which also reveals --) f. Shortcuts to Wifi and Bluetooth and such controls which, in turn, lead to -- g. Even more settings within the settings app h. Widgets plus news and such I have a radical idea. It may blow minds to bits but I just can't take it any longer: how about the Start Menu incorporating almost all of that? IMO the major design flaw of this new Start Menu is top secret. Do you see how it's a narrow box? I believe it's this way because it's designed to work in 'tablet' mode. That you can't have a big tall and wide 'start menu' because it simply won't work if you're in tablet mode. Right? But Earth to Microsoft: most PC users don't use tablet mode as their going concern. What's being presented to us as a solution... isn't. It's actually more half-baked thinking from Redmond. Imagine if when you hit the Windows button -- a larger version of that interface greeted you. Taking up at least 3/4s of your screen? With the push of one button you'd see -- the weather, more apps, the quick settings, notifications, other widgets you want. You'd have next to everything available with one click. You wouldn't have to remember where Windows hid the Wifi settings because you already know the Windows button would deliver the solution somehow. Apple has something kinda like this called 'Control Center'. But it's different. And that's okay. I believe I've added even more stuff into that window. The writer in me would ask Windows to stop calling it the start menu and simply call it... wait for it... the window. That is: brag that next to everything can be done IN 'The Window'. Now, to be clear, I didn't stick everything in 'The Window'. I believe having some of that always available is smart. Mac does it, Linux does it -- don't rock that boat. There is a problem with it though. If you're going to have a centered taskbar you can only add so many apps before that area bumps into the apps. That is why Mac OS separate these items from each other. The solution is fairly obvious. Allow the apps taskbar to be moved to the left side of the screen. This is something you 'can' do in Windows 10 but it looks like garbage. Because it widens the taskbar to accommodate the date and time. This -- -- only makes matters worse. Now if Redmond is afraid of Apple lawsuits they can say, no, our date and time are not in the top right but the bottom right. Which seems to be okay in modern patent law. The fact this mistake is STILL sitting in the wrong place reveals that half-baked is STILL a thing. I think Panos or somebody said "And this is just the beginning..." And I believe that. Because this asinine company never finishes a build. They just introduce something new and half-baked... and barely fix it... year in and out. There are annoyances in Mac OS. Just like any OS. But when the likes of Zorin ships ten times more polished than the world's leading operating system -- that's just the stuff of WOW.

:)

The Pool Man, Jun 23, 2021
  2. cadaveca Win User

Subsystem ID mismatch

Run atiwinflash from the DOS prompt in Windows. Follow the steps listed in the HD6950 mod article for DOS flashing.

cadaveca, Jun 23, 2021
  3. Karla Alm Win User
    Adobe Flash message in IE 11

Hi Sandra,

To help you out with your concern, we suggest that you disable the add-ons in Internet Explorer 11. For step by step instructions, go to this

link
    , then look for the title Turning off and removing add-ons.

We also suggest that you reset Internet Explorer 11 through these steps:

• Go to Internet Explorer then click the Gear icon.
    • Choose Internet options > Advanced.
    • Click Reset.

(Note: If you have added Favorites, back up them first before resetting the browser. )

Should you need further assistance, let us know.

Regards.

Karla Alm, Jun 23, 2021
  4. Windows 11 Promising but still a Mess

Microsoft Promises Updated Explorer UX in Windows 10

Perhaps MS will get it right in the next build, but after installing the 9879 ISO from the Insider page (not the tech eval version), I'm disappointed. This was not apparent in my previous 9879 build (ESD + Windows Updates fully updated).

I liked Win10 before installing the ISO - but now ... methinks they are adding unnecessary steps to many processes just for the sake of change (three or more clicks to do what two clicks did before just to get a Modern app to launch with less capability [no right click run as, or status]). In this case, File Explorer, they're adding something that just doesn't make sense.

Some folks complained about the navigation pane being cluttered and not truly user configurable, but this current implementation is an abomination (IMO)

Windows 11 Promising but still a Mess [​IMG]

Who needs two listings of the external drives?
    You can't right click remove them, you can't organize them - they're there for some unknown reason.

Interestingly though, you can right click This PC and delete it (same with network) ... however this removes the icon from your desktop, not from the navigation pane.

The feedback I gave was "Woe unto you who dare mess with Desktop users - remember Win8?"
    I also suggested that if the intent was to differentiate between local and network drives, then perhaps listing network drives under network was a better choice. But... these are USB connected drives - so they missed the mark.

As an aside, I really don't like the folders listed under This PC either. Give me the choice and I'll be happy to create the user experience I prefer.

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 23, 2021
Thema:

Windows 11 Promising but still a Mess

1. Windows 11 Promising but still a Mess - Similar Threads - Promising still Mess

2. Font is messed up in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Font is messed up in Windows 11: In File Explorer, the font is not the normal font Segoe UI and is a different font that I don't know the name of.Here's my system information:OS: Windows 11 23H2, build 22631.3007Computer: HP Victus 15-fb0015nrRAM: 32GBStorage: 512GBScreenshot:Please help!...
  3. Where is promised Windows 10 AAC support?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Where is promised Windows 10 AAC support?: Support for AAC codec via Bluetooth in Windows 10 is currently only available in Insider builds. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 21370 Windows Insider BlogIt has been already 2 years since announcement, when this feature would be available for all Windows 10...
  4. Where is promised Windows 10 AAC support?

Where is promised Windows 10 AAC support?: Support for AAC codec via Bluetooth in Windows 10 is currently only available in Insider builds. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 21370 Windows Insider BlogIt has been already 2 years since announcement, when this feature would be available for all Windows 10...
  5. Windows 11 settings messed up

Windows 11 settings messed up: I messed up the Windows 11 settings, because all of a sudden I got MSN and the background color went to black.Now I have these:1. black background, e.g. in Whatsapp where the address side is normal white, but the message side is black with the messages as readable islands2....
  6. File association in Windows 11 is a mess

File association in Windows 11 is a mess: I got two new Laptops, one with Windows 11 and another with Windows 10 which was upgraded to Windows 11 via Windows Update right after the first boot. In both cases, there was not a way to associate media extensions such as .jpg .mp4 .mkv with VLC or Irfanview. Either the...
  7. Microsoft promises a renewed focus in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft promises a renewed focus in Windows 10: Microsoft has been working on a refreshed Windows 10 Start Menu for a while now, and you can finally try it out later this year. But that’s not all the company is changing in Windows 10. In addition to these nifty improvements, Microsoft is also promising a renewed focus in...
  8. Windows 10 is still a mess

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 is still a mess: When Windows 10 first came out I tried it, and didn't like it, so I went back to Windows 7. The new hardware requirements for builders demanded that you install windows 10 for hardware support or move to Linux. Being patient, I waited, and waited, and waited, and Windows 10...
  9. Windows 10 seems very promising

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 seems very promising: I just finished building a new PC, which has just about everything you can imagine. I've been using Windows 7 x64 for quite some time, never upgrading to Windows 8 or 8.1. I bought a couple of laptops lately, one of which has a touch screen, and that laptop is running 8.1, so...
  10. Delivering the Modern IT promise with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Delivering the Modern IT promise with Windows 10: Part 2: Management enhancements coming to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Our goal with Windows 10 has always been to modernize the way IT interacts with Windows devices, adopting simpler and easier approaches that leverage cloud-based services and help employees be more...