Windows 10: Windows 11 Search Doesn't Find App. Shortcuts Under "Start Menu" Folder.

Discus and support Windows 11 Search Doesn't Find App. Shortcuts Under "Start Menu" Folder. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My Windows 11 PC/Desktop machine is in a state where windows search, as invoked by “windows-Key <search text>”, isn’t working right. If I put a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by uncertain235, May 15, 2024.

1. Windows 11 Search Doesn't Find App. Shortcuts Under "Start Menu" Folder.

My Windows 11 PC/Desktop machine is in a state where windows search, as invoked by “windows-Key <search text>”, isn’t working right. If I put a shortcut to an app. into. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu then search doesn’t find it. However, this problem only occurs for one local user account, let’s call it “user3”.&nbs

:)

uncertain235, May 15, 2024
  2. GTTG Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu Search not finding shortcuts

I have several shortcuts to apps and folders which are not found by the Windows 10 Start menu search.

The shortcuts are under

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Application. They include shortcuts to folders, URLs and files.

All of this currently works in Windows 8.1.

I was under the impression that the Start menu search always searched for shortcuts under both C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

In fact I've noticed that a simple shortcut on a fully indexed Documents folder is not found in the Start menu search.
    How have shortcut objects changed in Windows 10 that they are no longer available in searches? The shortcut files are being indexed because they show up in the Indexed Locations under C:\Users\{username}\Searches.

Any suggestions? Any fixes on the way? This is critical for productivity!

Thank you.

3. Win 10 - Shortcuts in Start Menu folder not appearing in menu or Search Results

Hi Michel,

The error that you encounter seems to be caused by a background process that's not working correctly. To isolate your concern, we'd like to know the following:

• Are you getting the error when searching for the shortcut or when opening the sub folder on the Start Menu?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've tried to resolve your concern?

We're looking forward to your response.

Darwin Dim, May 15, 2024
  4. atinfo Win User

Windows 11 Search Doesn't Find App. Shortcuts Under "Start Menu" Folder.

Cortana don't show hidden folder in "Start Menu App List"

Hi,
    Why Cortana don't search hidden folder in Start Menu? I copied a folder that contains my portable apps shortcut, when I copy that folder to Start Menu folder [in ProgramData], Cortana lists that folder in Start Menu App List and Cortana search works but when I hide that folder [and hide from Start Menu App List, that I want to be hide in Start Menu App List] Cortana only shows my search result [for example, shows my portable app shortcut] but nothing work!!! when I click on portable app shortcut [that I put on that folder]. *Think

atinfo, May 15, 2024
Thema:

Windows 11 Search Doesn't Find App. Shortcuts Under "Start Menu" Folder.

1. Windows 11 Search Doesn't Find App. Shortcuts Under "Start Menu" Folder. - Similar Threads - Search Doesn't Find

2. Windows 11 Search Doesn't Find App. Shortcuts Under "Start Menu" Folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Search Doesn't Find App. Shortcuts Under "Start Menu" Folder.: My Windows 11 PC/Desktop machine is in a state where windows search, as invoked by “windows-Key <search text>”, isn’t working right. If I put a shortcut to an app. into. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu then search doesn’t find it. However, this problem only...
  3. Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work: Hi,Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work as can be seen in the image below:Any advice will be appreciated.Regards, Jose luis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-for-apps-in-start-menu-doesnt-work/fbf8109f-6d03-47a4-a980-be3f38b6a81e
  4. Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work: Hi,Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work as can be seen in the image below:Any advice will be appreciated.Regards, Jose luis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-for-apps-in-start-menu-doesnt-work/fbf8109f-6d03-47a4-a980-be3f38b6a81e
  5. Start menu search doesn't say what type of app it finds anymore?

in Cortana
    Start menu search doesn't say what type of app it finds anymore?: Just noticed that when I search for an app in the start menu, it no longer says desktop app or trusted Microsoft Store app. It just says app. Did something go wrong or is it a change? using Windows 10 version 1809 (OS Build 17763.475)...
  6. Start menu shortcuts doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu shortcuts doesn't work: After installing Creators Update, programs shortcuts already uninstalled continues to show on start menu. For example, I uninstalled Forza Motorsport 6, and if I type "Forza..." in the start menu, the shortcut appears and if I click nothing happens, either with the left...
  7. Search doesn't find web shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Search doesn't find web shortcuts: I have a program group that contains a bunch of shortcuts. Some are applications. Some are shortcut links to web pages or web-based control panels. The problem is that ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, searching doesn't find the web shortcuts. For example, "Password...
  8. Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu: Hello. I have Sysinternals Autoruns installed. I created a shortcut to the executable, moved the shortcut to "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sysinternals Software", but it simply will not show in my start menu, even after a reboot (several...
  9. Start Menu Search Doesn't Find Steam

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Doesn't Find Steam: The shortcut is here: [img] But if I search nothing comes up. It has not problems finding Blender and Skyrim ... [img] 6209
  10. Shortcuts to Folders/Files in Start Menu Search Box

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts to Folders/Files in Start Menu Search Box: Hi everyone, I don't know if this option even exists, but it's worth a try: When I Installed Win 10, if I wanted to quickly access one of those 6 Win 10 PC 'Folders' (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos), I would just had to type in the folder in the...