Windows 10: Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover

Discus and support Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 11 users may soon use the built-in Search of the operating system by just hovering over the search field on the taskbar. The change landed in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 15, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover

Windows 11 users may soon use the built-in Search of the operating system by just hovering over the search field on the taskbar. The change landed in the latest Windows 11 Dev build and is hidden by default in that build.

Earnings from sales of the Windows operating system have not been one of Microsoft's top priorities anymore in recent years. Cloud drives revenue and Microsoft hopes that the AI-infused Bing will contribute significantly to the company's earnings in the coming years.

With search increasing in importance, Microsoft started to integrate it deeper into Windows. The AI-powered Bing is now just a click away, but there is always room for improvement.

Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover windows-11-search-hover-scaled.jpg

Windows 11 Developer build 23435 includes a hidden setting that defines whether search activates on hover. Spotted by Twitter user PhantomOcean3, it is a new option under Personalization > Taskbar in the Windows 11 Settings.

If enabled, users display the main search interface by hovering the mouse cursor over the search field on the taskbar. The functionality is still in development and it is turned off by default at this time.

It would not be the first time that Microsoft enables a hover action by default on Windows 11. Previously, hovering over the Widgets icon would display the entire interface, and it took Microsoft some time to create a setting to turn off the action.

Windows 11 Developer build users who want to give it a try need to use the ViVeTool to enable certain features.

1. Download the latest version of the open source ViVeTool from GitHub.
    2. Extract the archive on the local system, e.g. in the Downloads folder.
    3. Open Start, type cmd.exe and select Run as administrator; this launches an elevated command prompt window on the system.
    4. Navigate to the ViVeTool folder. If you extracted it to C:/Users/yourname/Downloads/ViVeTool, use CD C:/Users/yourname/Downloads/ViVeTool. Tip: you can copy the path in File Explorer and paste it into the Command Prompt window.
    5. Paste vivetool /enable /id:43572857 into the Command Prompt window and press the Enter-key to execute the command.
    6. Paste vivetool /enable /id:43572692 into the Command Prompt window and press the Enter-key to execute the command.
    7. Restart the computer.

The new Setting should now be available. You may launch the Settings app with the keyboard shortcut Windows-I.

The new feature is a work in progress, and there is a chance that it will never land in Stable builds of the Windows 11 operating system.

Closing Words

Hover actions have often the tendency to disrupt work. Most Windows 11 users may not become aware of the new option if Microsoft keeps it turned off by default. If not, and there is a chance of this happening, it could be very disruptive and searches for how to turn off the search field hover on Windows 11 may skyrocket.

Now You: hover or not, which do you prefer? (via Neowin)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 15, 2023

2. Error when hover search button on windows 11

Hi Nam,

I am Sumit here to assist you with this question.

Yes, that is a bug in Windows 11. The easiest fix is, not to hover over the search icon, or restart the explorer process using the steps below:

Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager. You may need to select More details at the bottom of the window to see everything.

Select the Processes tab.

Scroll down to Windows Explorer, select it, then select Restart.

The process may take a few seconds, and your taskbar and Start menu may not be visible while Windows Explorer restarts. You can close Task Manager when the process is complete.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Apr 15, 2023
  3. Trouble with Hover function

Hi Gwendolyn,

The option to activate a window by hovering it with the mouse may not be enabled, and this could be a possible cause why you are experiencing an issue with using the hover function of your mouse.

Follow these steps to enable the Activate a window by hovering it with the mouse option:

• Using Cortana, type ease of access.
    • On the search results, click on Ease of Access Center.
    • Choose Make the mouse easier to use.
    • Under Make it easier to manage windows, tick on the checkbox beside Activate a window by hovering it with the mouse.
    • Click Apply and then click OK.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Apr 15, 2023
  4. Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover

Windows 10 Pointer Hovering

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. To turn off the pointer or mouse hovering on your laptop, follow these steps:

• In Cortana search, type in Mouse.
    • Click Mouse and Touchpad settings in the search result.
    • Turn off the Mouse Hover Switch.

You may also look for Tap to Click and have it turned off. Here's how:

• In Cortana search, type in Mouse.
    • Click Mouse and Touchpad settings in the search result.
    • Click Additional Mouse Options and select the Thinkpad tab.
    • Click Settings.
    • Under the General tab, uncheck Tap to Click option.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 15, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover

1. Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover - Similar Threads - Search may soon

2. Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup: One of the features that Microsoft's Windows operating system was lacking up until now was an option to restore installed apps on devices during setup. Google's Android operating system, for instance, supports the functionality, so that all apps from Google Play may be...
  3. Soon, you may be able to kill open apps from the Windows taskbar

in Windows 10 News
    Soon, you may be able to kill open apps from the Windows taskbar: The Windows operating system offers several methods to close programs and kill misbehaving processes. From using the x-icon in the program window to right-clicking on programs displayed on the taskbar and selecting close, to firing Alt-F4 at the program. Most of the methods...
  4. You may soon install apps and games directly from Windows Search results

in Windows 10 News
    You may soon install apps and games directly from Windows Search results: Microsoft released a new Insider Preview build for Windows 11's Canary channel yesterday that introduces a new option to install Windows apps or games directly from Windows Search results. The Canary Channel was introduced by Microsoft recently to better separate...
  5. Search bar opens late and closes as soon as I click on the search bar to search something,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar opens late and closes as soon as I click on the search bar to search something,...: When I press the windows key, the search bars appears slightly delayed, and the search bar closes when I click on it. This only started recently, and I have tried a lot to fix it, including SFC scans, rebuilding the search index, changing the search to enhanced, backing up...
  6. You may soon use Tabs in Notepad for Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    You may soon use Tabs in Notepad for Windows 11: Microsoft seems to be working on bringing support for tabs to the default Windows plain text editor Notepad. A screenshot of an internal version of Notepad was posted to Twitter by a Microsoft Senior Product Manager. The tweet has been deleted in the meantime, but the Web...
  7. The Windows 11 Task Manager may soon have a search feature

in Windows 10 News
    The Windows 11 Task Manager may soon have a search feature: Microsoft is testing a new search feature in the Windows Task Manager that could become available to all users of the Windows operating system in the future. The feature, which third-party task managers such as MiTec Task Manager Deluxe supported for a long time, improves the...
  8. Error when hover search button on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error when hover search button on windows 11: Hello!I am using windows 11. please look at the picture in the red frame, when i hover on search button and select 1 program then it becomes transparent as shown. I won't be able to click or do anything in this area. How do i fix this other than restarting the machine.Thanks!...
  9. Error when hover search button on windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error when hover search button on windows 11: Hello!I am using windows 11. please look at the picture in the red frame, when i hover on search button and select 1 program then it becomes transparent as shown. I won't be able to click or do anything in this area. How do i fix this other than restarting the machine.Thanks!...
  10. Licence expire soon may 2020

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Licence expire soon may 2020: DEL Desktop Optiplex 9020 Bought with Windows 10 license Is it possible my license to expire and I have to buy another one? If you have more details about this matter please send me info, because on information on microsoft web page are not helping...