Windows 10: Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer

Discus and support Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In File Explorer, I have been used to being able to search for all files within subfolders using *.* and also to search for files by type e.g., .otf,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PamelaBreedlove, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer

In File Explorer, I have been used to being able to search for all files within subfolders using *.* and also to search for files by type e.g., .otf, .ttf, .png, but since beginning to use Windows 11, that doesn't always work, and I am at a loss as to why it only works intermittently. First image below is one such search result - I should be seeing a large number of files. Below that, I have an image from a search for the font files in that folder there are many. The third image is a time when it did work properly. For these samples, I checked folder options and the same info was checked o

:)

PamelaBreedlove, Jun 3, 2022

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jun 3, 2022
  3. Windows File Explorer Search

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are having issue in File explorer search option. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply
    with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Windows 10 Version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)

• Have you tried restarting your computer?
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to refer these methods and check.

Method 1:
    Restore File Explorer to default.

1. Open
      File Explorer and click on View tab from the top.

2. Click the arrow below
      Options and select Change folder and search options.

3. Under
      General tab, click on Restore Defaults.
    4. Click
      Ok and relaunch File Explorer.

Method 2:Run Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file tool

Please refer the suggestion as mentioned in this article for troubleshooting the issue:
    Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file and folder problems

Method 3: Fix problems in Windows Search

Please refer the suggestion as mentioned in this article for troubleshooting the issue:

Fix problems in Windows Search

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jun 3, 2022
  4. Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jun 3, 2022
Thema:

Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer

1. Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Search problems File

2. search file explorer in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search file explorer in windows 11?: How do I search file explorer in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-file-explorer-in-windows-11/1feb626a-2e99-4347-923e-236cdfb085c7
  3. search file explorer in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search file explorer in windows 11?: How do I search file explorer in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-file-explorer-in-windows-11/1feb626a-2e99-4347-923e-236cdfb085c7
  4. "Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems: Hello!I've recently got a new laptop, and a new install of Windows 11. I've *always* had issues with searching for files in Windows, its always been too slow or just grinds to a standstill completely and I've never *really* been sure what the problem is but anyhowIts about 70...
  5. "Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems

"Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems: Hello!I've recently got a new laptop, and a new install of Windows 11. I've *always* had issues with searching for files in Windows, its always been too slow or just grinds to a standstill completely and I've never *really* been sure what the problem is but anyhowIts about 70...
  6. Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer: In File Explorer, I have been used to being able to search for all files within subfolders using *.* and also to search for files by type e.g., .otf, .ttf, .png, but since beginning to use Windows 11, that doesn't always work, and I am at a loss as to why it only works...
  7. Search in Windows 11 file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search in Windows 11 file explorer: Hello,I have two issues with the search in Win 11.1- I have a folder with pdf, xls and doc files. If I search for a specific word that I know exists in all files, the results only show the pdf files. But I know that the word is contained in the Word and Excel files too. If I...
  8. Search in Windows 11 file explorer

Search in Windows 11 file explorer: Hello,I have two issues with the search in Win 11.1- I have a folder with pdf, xls and doc files. If I search for a specific word that I know exists in all files, the results only show the pdf files. But I know that the word is contained in the Word and Excel files too. If I...
  9. File Explorer Search Problem

in Cortana
    File Explorer Search Problem: I have a Windows 10 user losing her ability to enter search criteria in a Windows 10 Search box. If logged in as her, and I click in the Search box from any number of places, no typing appears in the box. Also, If I open the Windows Start menu and attempt to type in a...
  10. Windows File Explorer search problems

in Cortana
    Windows File Explorer search problems: Since the November update (1909) there are several problems with searching in the Windows File Explorer (I don't mean the taskbar search). First, I can't see what I'm typing in the tiny search bar. And not because my eyesight is bad, but because the text I'm typing isn't...