Windows 10: Windows 11 Secure Boot issues

Discus and support Windows 11 Secure Boot issues in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Secure Boot is a requirement for Windows 11 to install, but how come my laptop doesn't allow me to boot into Windows 11 with it enabled. My laptop is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Dontay A., Apr 28, 2022.

1. Dontay A. Win User

Windows 11 Secure Boot issues

Secure Boot is a requirement for Windows 11 to install, but how come my laptop doesn't allow me to boot into Windows 11 with it enabled. My laptop is a Dell Latitude 3190 2-in-1 and I just received BIOS Update 1.20.0 via Windows Update. Disabling Secure Boot fixed my issue, but I was very confused by that solution. I'm assuming that the BIOS update enabled Secure Boot, which didn't seem to recognize my pre-existing Windows 11 installation. Any advice would be great, thanks!

:)

Dontay A., Apr 28, 2022
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

• Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Oh and OSX
    Here is a statement from a Kernal Developer at Red Hat:

I'm not sure this exploits the legacy BIOS but rather it exploits the legacy boot method on MBR drives, injecting a signed key before the OS boots, which you are correct in that it has nothing to do with Windows 8. And the simplest fix would just be to require boot drives use GPT when Secure Boot is enabled in UEFI.

newtekie1, Apr 28, 2022
  3. Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

So Linux is switching to secure boot also? Or they have to because of UEFI?

Damn_Smooth, Apr 28, 2022
  4. qubit Win User

Controversial Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: FSF Issues Rallying Cry

The controversial new Secure Boot feature in Windows 8 has been covered here before, but now the Free Software Foundation have issued a public statement warning about likely restrictive implementation to lock out competition, pretty similar to the arguments currently being levelled against it. They are also giving people a voice to protest against this, in the form of a petition. They say quite fairly, that it can be used for good, if the option to use it is completely with the owner of the computer. However, it isn't much of a stretch to see that the option to disable it is likely to simply be removed from the user, thus locking out the competition, mainly Linux: This could be a feature deserving of the name, as long as the user is able to authorize the programs she wants to use, so she can run free software written and modified by herself or people she trusts. However, we are concerned that Microsoft and hardware manufacturers will implement these boot restrictions in a way that will prevent users from booting anything other than Windows. In this case, we are better off calling the technology Restricted Boot, since such a requirement would be a disastrous restriction on computer users and not a security feature at all. Click here to see the full public statement and sign the petition and here for a more detailed explanation of the issue by the FSF.

Windows 11 Secure Boot issues logo-new_thm.jpg

qubit, Apr 28, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows 11 Secure Boot issues - Similar Threads - Secure Boot issues

2. Secure boot issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secure boot issue: Even after enabling secure boot in the bios menu of my HP computer , the secure boot state shows 'off'. OS is Win11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secure-boot-issue/d33cac4d-a082-4c61-8d55-ad4754278a01
  3. Secure boot issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secure boot issue: Even after enabling secure boot in the bios menu of my HP computer , the secure boot state shows 'off'. OS is Win11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secure-boot-issue/d33cac4d-a082-4c61-8d55-ad4754278a01
  4. Windows 11 Secure Boot

Windows 11 Secure Boot: I've been trying to get the requirements to upgrade to Windows 11. I have all other requirements except TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot. I've enabled TPM 2.0 already in the bios and it's working fine. The picture below shows that I already have TPM 2.0 enabled and it shows on the...
  5. Windows 11 Secure Boot issues

Windows 11 Secure Boot issues: Secure Boot is a requirement for Windows 11 to install, but how come my laptop doesn't allow me to boot into Windows 11 with it enabled. My laptop is a Dell Latitude 3190 2-in-1 and I just received BIOS Update 1.20.0 via Windows Update. Disabling Secure Boot fixed my issue,...
  6. Windows 11 secure boot

Windows 11 secure boot: Hello today I noticed I was able to check if my computer was compatible with Windows 11 it was not because of Secure Boot. I then went into the Asrock Taichi X570 bios and changed my boot to Secure boot and set it to standard. when I run the PC Health check it still tells me...
  7. Windows 11 secure boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 secure boot: I have just upgraded my GPF P2 Max with 512GB / 16GB, 8100Y, TPM2.0, Intel virtualization and secure boot from Windows 10 to Windows 11 Home final version. Windows licence is activated and the device has been receiving automatic updates. Before upgrading, I have checked in...
  8. Windows 11 secure boot

Windows 11 secure boot: I have just upgraded my GPF P2 Max with 512GB / 16GB, 8100Y, TPM2.0, Intel virtualization and secure boot from Windows 10 to Windows 11 Home final version. Windows licence is activated and the device has been receiving automatic updates. Before upgrading, I have checked in...
  9. Secure Boot Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Secure Boot Issue: I have a Gigabyte H310M S2 2.0 motherboard. As I am running win 10 home.. I wanted to upgrade to Win 11. However , just as required I enabled TPM in my motherboard, then installed Win 10 by converting SSD to GPT partition . When I tried to enable secure boot from the bios, my...
  10. Secure boot issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Secure boot issues: Hi, I am using an acer travelmate laptop and I'm attempting to boot from an official (I think) windows 10 DVD, I downloaded it using the media creation tool (as a dual x64-x86 iso) and created a bootable iso from the x64 portion (with imgburn) the disk definitely works as I...