Windows 10: Windows 11: Set e-mail program for mailto links

Discus and support Windows 11: Set e-mail program for mailto links in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi.I cannot set Thundbird as the default program for opening MAILTO links e.g. found on websites. I tried the guide linked below, but Thunderbird just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by T0SNIC, Aug 17, 2022.

1. T0SNIC Win User

Windows 11: Set e-mail program for mailto links

Hi.I cannot set Thundbird as the default program for opening MAILTO links e.g. found on websites. I tried the guide linked below, but Thunderbird just does not show up on the list. It does show up on the general list of installed apps. It just does not show on the list for links. And of course Windows 11 is too smart as to allow me to browse for an .exe file. Link to a guide that used to work for other ppl:https://www.howtogeek.com/770923/how-to-set-your-default-email-app-in-windows-11/

:)

T0SNIC, Aug 17, 2022
  2. dalchina Win User

Mailto: in Browsers not working

Hi, I have installed Pegasus mail, and during the installation, accepted the option to set it as the default mailto client.
    I also set it as the default from an Open with prompt.

I can confirm that clicking on email links opens Pegasus, and that the mailto entry as per my screenshot shows Pegasus.

I installed Pegasus at a custom location (in the same folder as Thunderbird's installation folder).

So there appears to be no fundamental conflict with Win 10.

This might suggest some other issue with yours which is affecting mailto. You mentioned you have noticed some other problems- could you list them or suggest any that could possibly be related?

dalchina, Aug 17, 2022
  3. e mail link

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

Provide us with the below details for better clarity on the issue.

• Which web browser are you using?
    • Are you using Windows Mail App or Outlook Mail?
    I suggest you to make Internet Explorer as default browser and then check the issue. Follow the steps given in the link below.

Make Internet Explorer your default browser

Please get back to us with the information required and results of the above instructions.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Aug 17, 2022
  4. Riel Alc Win User

MAILTO NOT WORKING IN WINDOWS 10

Hi Robert,

To resolve the issue with your Mailto in Windows 10, please follow the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • In the Control Panel, search for Default Programs, then click it.

Windows 11: Set e-mail program for mailto links bdc8f123-ff35-4881-a2ed-cf4b6fed652e.jpg

• Under Choose the programs that Windows uses by default, click
      Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Under Associate a file type or protocol with a program, scroll down the list until you find
      MAILTO.
    • Double-click MAILTO, then choose the client you prefer.

Windows 11: Set e-mail program for mailto links f69cdee8-4603-46f2-ae25-7d24757d6b3e.jpg

• Click OK.

Let us know the result.

Riel Alc, Aug 17, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows 11: Set e-mail program for mailto links - Similar Threads - Set mail program

2. Windows 11: Set e-mail program for mailto links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: Set e-mail program for mailto links: Hi.I cannot set Thundbird as the default program for opening MAILTO links e.g. found on websites. I tried the guide linked below, but Thunderbird just does not show up on the list. It does show up on the general list of installed apps. It just does not show on the list for...
  3. a good e-mail program

in Browsers and Email
    a good e-mail program: Can someone tell me a good e-mail program for windows 10 I have tried thunder bird but wasn't satisfied now I am useing online magic mail i don't care for it either 182708
  4. a good e-mail program

in Windows 10 Support
    a good e-mail program: Can someone tell me a good e-mail program for windows 10 I have tried thunder bird but wasn't satisfied now I am useing online magic mail i don't care for it either 182708
  5. Printed e-mail from my aol linked e-mail account

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printed e-mail from my aol linked e-mail account: Yesterday when I went to print an e-mail off from my linked aol e-mail account synced with the Windows 10 e-mail app, they were so small you could hardly read them!! I've rung EPSON about the printer and they thought it might be to do with the printer settings in Windows...
  6. Setting up e-mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up e-mail: Having trouble setting up e-mail on new computer. I have mail accounts, a RR and a gmail. I set them but no mail gets through. Do I have to buy Microsoft 365 in order for Outlook to work?...
  7. Windows 10 E-mail program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 E-mail program: I understand that there is an e-mail program built into Windows 10. How do I access it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-e-mail-program/347ed84e-8a57-438c-bc84-130508781ce8
  8. E Mail settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    E Mail settings: I have a notification message on the Desktop of my PC saying that my SKY account settings are out of date. I use SKY for my E Mail address and they in turn use Yahoo Mail. I am using Windows 10. To try and rectify the problem I have accessed SETTINGS and then E MAIL &...
  9. Links in e-mails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Links in e-mails: I now cant open e-mail links where I previously could. My mail is provided by BT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/links-in-e-mails/f3470bc8-50df-45a0-9e39-20bc0f11035f
  10. Mailto Links

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto Links: Win 10 Ms Edge (and Chrome) How do I make mailto links in websites point to Gmail? Currently every time I click a mailto it gives a choice of Gmail or Outlook. I wish it default to Gmail, and if possible not the app but the program. 20308