Windows 10: Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen

Discus and support Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When setting up Windows 11, I keep getting stuck on the Getting updates screen. After a while, it says that the installation has failed. It always gets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Jrp1697, Oct 31, 2023.

1. Jrp1697 Win User

Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen

When setting up Windows 11, I keep getting stuck on the Getting updates screen. After a while, it says that the installation has failed. It always gets stuck at 46% before the failure message.

:)

Jrp1697, Oct 31, 2023

2. windows update stuck at installation screen and cannot get to desktop

Hi Sue,

To understand the issue better, I would like to ask some questions:

• Is the computer stuck in the Installing updates screen?
    • For how long is the computer stuck in the screen?
    • When was the computer last updated?
    • Is the screen showing any percentage of installation?

Sometimes the installation might take a long time to install if the update is of large size. So, I suggest you to wait for sometime and check if the system boots to the desktop. If it is taking a longer time, then perform a Power Drain by following the steps
    provided below:

• Shut down the Computer.
    • Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
    • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Connect the power source and start the computer.
    • After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 31, 2023
  3. Windows 10 download stuck on, 'Getting Setup files'

Based on what AlteaC wrote, he was still in the 'Windows Update' window on a previous version of windows at the time of his inquiry. The loading bar continues to scroll and the only message is "getting setup files".

It's difficult to know if it's stuck when it gives you nothing to go off of. a good question that would likely close this specific thread is this:

How long should the "getting setup files" step in the 'Windows Update' window take given network speed 'X' and windows configuration 'Y'?

This would give us a baseline - a point at which to say, "yes, it's stuck... it must not be progressing". At which point we would move on to troubleshooting.

-------------------

it's been on this step for me for about 2 hours with no sign of change or progress but I don't want to stop it for fear that it's working and I would have to start the process over.

I'm running a fresh installed Windows 8 (reformatted just before beginning the update). I have a middle-of-the-road Intel I7 processor, a decent solid state drive, and a download speed of around 8Mbps.

I'll check back in if I see any progress.

Hunter Christ, Oct 31, 2023
  4. Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen

Windows 10 Setup stuck at "Getting updates"

Hi!

Today i try to upgrade my Windows 10 from Windows 7.

The problem is that upgrading stuck at "Getting Update"s for 30 min.

I though that was a problem with setup so i stop it and clear a folder in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

and try to use a "MediaCreationToolx64". Everything was fine, after waiting couple of minutes i go for next step but after this one again i got message that Windows 10 Setup is checking for updates...

I hear that in MediaCreationTool installation is without updates, and i watch lots of videos at YouTube where nobody have this step after using MediaCreationTool. I'm still waiting next 20 minutes on this step.

This is my second Windows upgrade, but i havent problem like this before.

Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen 6524c9ca-9e6f-421f-9496-55f8f98909dc.png

Kamil Kalita, Oct 31, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen

1. Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen - Similar Threads - Setup stuck Getting

2. Windows Update 11 leads me to white setup screen Stuck!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update 11 leads me to white setup screen Stuck!: Good day all.I recently ran a Windows update and it installed and restarted. But now when I sign in, I get this white screen which looks like a partially loaded setup screen. I don't know how to get past it as the buttons and text do not load.I've tried ctrl alt del sign out...
  3. Windows Update 11 leads me to white setup screen Stuck!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update 11 leads me to white setup screen Stuck!: Good day all.I recently ran a Windows update and it installed and restarted. But now when I sign in, I get this white screen which looks like a partially loaded setup screen. I don't know how to get past it as the buttons and text do not load.I've tried ctrl alt del sign out...
  4. Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen

Windows 11 Setup stuck on "Getting Updates" screen: When setting up Windows 11, I keep getting stuck on the Getting updates screen. After a while, it says that the installation has failed. It always gets stuck at 46% before the failure message....
  5. Windows 11: can’t get past the setup screen

Windows 11: can’t get past the setup screen: Here’s what I see: Unfortunately your computer had to restart because there was an issue obtaining updates for your computer. It’s like I never set it up but this happened after I updated my computer....
  6. Update to windows 11 gets stuck on boot screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update to windows 11 gets stuck on boot screen: I have a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3, I've had the Windows 11 update notification since the beginning, to this day I tried installing it thrice, but every time after the initial installation after it reboots it just gets stuck forever on the Lenovo loading screen, I even let it...
  7. Update to windows 11 gets stuck on boot screen

Update to windows 11 gets stuck on boot screen: I have a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3, I've had the Windows 11 update notification since the beginning, to this day I tried installing it thrice, but every time after the initial installation after it reboots it just gets stuck forever on the Lenovo loading screen, I even let it...
  8. Windows 10 Setup stuck at "Getting Updates"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Setup stuck at "Getting Updates": Hello I am updating my Windows 8.1 PC to Windows 10. I am stuck on the "Getting Updates" page at 14% for 6 hours. Can someone help me? And yes, I restared Windows 10 Setup four times, still stops at 14% PC Info: OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Version: 6.3.9600...
  9. Windows getting stuck in corners in multiple screen setup. (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows getting stuck in corners in multiple screen setup. (Windows 10): When trying to move windows from one screen to another, they just get stuck in the corners and refuse to smoothly be moved to the other screen. Having come from Windows 7, where this was never a problem, this issue is EXTREMELY aggravating. So is this a bug or just another...
  10. Windows 10 setup stuck at “Getting Updates” and also stuck at 46 percent

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 setup stuck at “Getting Updates” and also stuck at 46 percent: So i have a Lenovo G575..its an old computer..and im surprised i was able to get Windows 8.1 on it..even though i was stuck in Windows 7 Home Premium Edition(i think) it wasnt i bad software, i loved it a lot, i just thought it would be time for a change.. so i decided to...