Windows 10: Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work

Discus and support Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a lot of icons that worked in Windows 10, but not 11. However, if I use them as desktop icons, i.e., set in settings, then they work. The phrase... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ali Kayn, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Ali Kayn Win User

Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work

I have a lot of icons that worked in Windows 10, but not 11. However, if I use them as desktop icons, i.e., set in settings, then they work. The phrase "the OS cannot load the icons" seems pertinent, however I cannot find anywhere specifications for Windows 11 icons. The icons were created with iconfx . They are 256x256, colour, some with transparency. Deleting and recreating the icon cache makes no difference. I cannot find any documentation about specs for Windows 11 icons.

:)

Ali Kayn, Dec 9, 2021
  2. P4-630 Win User

Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

Sometime ago I installed the latest version of GPU-Z, started up my laptop the next day and noticed that the GPU-Z shortcut icon was white, I tried to find the icon in GPU-Z.exe but it said: "GPU-Z.exe contains no icons".
    I hope I the icon will return in the next version.

P4-630, Dec 9, 2021
  3. P4-630 Win User

It's not fixed, today my GPU-Z icon is a blank shortcut icon again..
    And it says GPU-Z.exe does not contain an icon

Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work gpu-z-blank-icon-jpg.jpg

P4-630, Dec 9, 2021
  4. Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work

I know I am quite late but as I was scrolling through I saw this post which happened to one of friend too. This sometimes happens with Windows. Usually a reboot will solve the problem. However if this doesn't, try setting the icon for the shortcut(right-click pinned icon, right-click program, left-click properties, select "change icon...") or refreshing it by switching to a different icon, applying it, and then reverting back to the original icon. Remove the shortcut from the taskbar and replace it with the start menu shortcut or simply drag the .exe file to the taskbar.

lorraine walsh, Dec 9, 2021
Thema:

Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work

1. Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work - Similar Threads - shortcut icons white

2. Windows 11 shortcut icons white when scaling over 200%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 shortcut icons white when scaling over 200%: On Windows 11 all my Desktop .url shortcut icons for Steam and Epic games have gone white, not the icon they should be.I worked out in Display Settings if I set the Scale to 200% or lower the icons display. Any higher 300% is recommended by Windows 11 and they turn to a white...
  3. Windows 11 shortcut icons white when scaling over 200%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 shortcut icons white when scaling over 200%: On Windows 11 all my Desktop .url shortcut icons for Steam and Epic games have gone white, not the icon they should be.I worked out in Display Settings if I set the Scale to 200% or lower the icons display. Any higher 300% is recommended by Windows 11 and they turn to a white...
  4. box shortcut Icon or Blank icons on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    box shortcut Icon or Blank icons on Windows 11: please help...how to restore the windows shortcut as before? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/box-shortcut-icon-or-blank-icons-on-windows-11/4447ffed-9958-4b8f-a3f1-b31ae717b71a
  5. box shortcut Icon or Blank icons on Windows 11

box shortcut Icon or Blank icons on Windows 11: please help...how to restore the windows shortcut as before? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/box-shortcut-icon-or-blank-icons-on-windows-11/4447ffed-9958-4b8f-a3f1-b31ae717b71a
  6. Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work not same as DISM scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work not same as DISM scan: Some icons shortcuts in one of my folders which is located on a Desktop became white. I tried all what google can find, but so far nothing helps.I also tried to reinstall, but when I put that shortcut into that folder, it became white again.I also tried to manually assign a...
  7. Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work not same as DISM scan

Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work not same as DISM scan: Some icons in one of my folders which is located on a Desktop became white. I tried all what google can find, but so far nothing helps.Is there anything else you know how to fix this issue?...
  8. Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work

Windows 11 shortcut icons white - icon cache fix does not work: I have a lot of icons that worked in Windows 10, but not 11. However, if I use them as desktop icons, i.e., set in settings, then they work. The phrase "the OS cannot load the icons" seems pertinent, however I cannot find anywhere specifications for Windows 11 icons. The...
  9. Desktop shortcut icons become white squares

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icons become white squares: I have a 17 month old Acer TC-780 computer running Win-10 home edition, 16-GB RAM and a HP 1920x1080 monitor. I have a lot of short cuts to files and programs on my desktop. Every couple days the short-cuts become white squares rather than the icons that they are suppose to...
  10. Shortcuts Icons Turn White When Moved

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts Icons Turn White When Moved: Hi. For some shortcuts that I have placed on the desktop when I move them to a different folder they shortcut icon turns white. This does not happen for every application where I will move the shortcut but for some. Example: GPU-Z icon on desktop looks fine. Moved to "Game"...