Windows 10: Windows 11 Task Bar mostly empty and Start Menu not working

Discus and support Windows 11 Task Bar mostly empty and Start Menu not working in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello,Yesterday I opened my user account and the task bar had reverted to the Windows 10 layout and was not functioning e.g. clicking an app to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Benlewis9000, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Windows 11 Task Bar mostly empty and Start Menu not working

Hello,Yesterday I opened my user account and the task bar had reverted to the Windows 10 layout and was not functioning e.g. clicking an app to open did nothing. After some trouble shooting I am now in a state where the task bar is entirely empty apart from the little ^ and cloud icons on the right hand side see picture. Attempting to open the start menu with the windows key opens a prompt saying "Critical Error. Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in". I am running Windows 11 OS Build 22000.613.I have tried booting in safe mode, disabling non-microsof

:)

Benlewis9000, Apr 13, 2022

2. Start Menu and Task Bar not working

Hi,

I've had an issue for several weeks where my Start Menu and Task Bar don't respond (or respond very intermittently) to both left and right mouse clicks. I've searched the net and this community forum, and it appears that this problem has been pretty prevalent
    for at least a couple of years.

I've tried the most commonly proposed solutions, e.g.

• The PowerShell as administrator solution, using "

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}". This just hangs indefinitely, with the progress bar never moving. I've left this for
      over an hour, and seen no movement at all in the bar.

• I've tried the sfc /scannow solution multiple times. The first few times, it just reported that it couldn't find any issues. Recently, it now just says: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

The only way I've actually been able to temporarily resolve the problem, is by shutting down the PC and then pulling the power cord on the PC. This restores all functionality for the next session, but then the next time I restart or shutdown and then restart
    my PC, the Start Menu and Task Bar is broken again.

I've been struggling with this issue for nearly a month now, and it's starting to become incredibly frustrating. This is especially true when it appears that the issue has been ongoing for years, and none of the suggested solutions appear to work. Any help
    that anyone can provide would be enormously appreciated, as I'm starting to get incredibly frustrated by this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Pizzicato

Pizzicato72, Apr 13, 2022
  3. Unable to access Start menu, Search bar, notification buttons on Task bar after install the Update KB3139907 on Windows 10

Hi John,

Thank you for responding.

We are glad to know that you are able to access Search bar and notification center after performing the above troubleshooting steps.

For the issues with Start menu, try the below steps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the below PowerShell command to re-register Start menu and check if it helps.

Follow:

• Right click on the Taskbar and select
      Task Manager
      from the context menu.

• In the Task Manager window, click on
      File
      and on Run new task.

• Type powershell, place a check mark on
      Create this task with administrative privileges
      and click Ok.

• In the administrative Windows PowerShell window, carefully type the below command and hit Enter key from the keyboard.

• Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
    5. Once the command execution is completed successfully, close the PowerShell window and reboot/ restart the computer.

NOTE: When you are running the PowerShell command, I recommend you to close all the apps on your system and try.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the below Microsoft article and check if it helps.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 13, 2022
  4. Lpb908 Win User

Windows 11 Task Bar mostly empty and Start Menu not working

Bottom task bar and start menu

Windows 10 updated this morning now my bottom task bar has lost all the items previously pinned and will not even display time in right corner. Start menu does not work either can get basic commands by right clicking on start menu but that is all. Restarting
    did not help. Any suggestions?

Lpb908, Apr 13, 2022
Thema:

Windows 11 Task Bar mostly empty and Start Menu not working

1. Windows 11 Task Bar mostly empty and Start Menu not working - Similar Threads - Task Bar mostly

2. Start button/menu doesn’t work, task bar empty, wallpaper gone - Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button/menu doesn’t work, task bar empty, wallpaper gone - Help!: HELP! Windows 10 desktop, up-to-date, was shutdown and booted with an SD card in a port does that matter?!. When started up again the wallpaper was gone just a picture of our dog, the desktop icons are okay, nothing’s in the task bar, and when you click anything including the...
  3. Start menu not working and task bar empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not working and task bar empty: i updated my drivers and windows then my start menu and task bar stopped working. iv tried almost everything that's on the internet, but it doesn't look like the start menu is not even running in task manager....
  4. Start menu not working and task bar empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not working and task bar empty: i updated my drivers and windows then my start menu and task bar stopped working. iv tried almost everything that's on the internet, but it doesn't look like the start menu is not even running in task manager....
  5. Windows 11 Task Bar mostly empty and Start Menu not working

Windows 11 Task Bar mostly empty and Start Menu not working: Hello,Yesterday I opened my user account and the task bar had reverted to the Windows 10 layout and was not functioning e.g. clicking an app to open did nothing. After some trouble shooting I am now in a state where the task bar is entirely empty apart from the little ^ and...
  6. Windows 11 Start menu and Task Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start menu and Task Bar: Just Downloaded Windows 11. Some changes are improvements but the changes to the Start menu and Task bar are an absolute shambles compared with Windows 10. I used the Task bar to initiate my programmes and Apps but the new one is severely limited with some Apps, supposedly...
  7. Windows 11 Start menu and Task Bar

Windows 11 Start menu and Task Bar: Just Downloaded Windows 11. Some changes are improvements but the changes to the Start menu and Task bar are an absolute shambles compared with Windows 10. I used the Task bar to initiate my programmes and Apps but the new one is severely limited with some Apps, supposedly...
  8. Windows start menu, task manager and task bar not working

in Cortana
    Windows start menu, task manager and task bar not working: Hello, I got a new lenovo idea centre and it worked find the first day, then on the 2nd day the start menu wouldn't open, the task bar does not work and things like the control panel do not open! I keep getting the error C:\\windows\system32\ptionalfeatures.exe. This...
  9. Windows start menu not working and no task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows start menu not working and no task bar: i turn on my laptop Windows 10 it does not ask me to sign in the desktop comes up with nothing on the task bar except for speaker Internet etc no browser option if I click on anything it does not work also the Windows sta button or cortana does not work if I click on it. I...
  10. Start menu button and task bar not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu button and task bar not working: Start menu won't function and all pinned apps have disappeared from task bar. On my task manager it shows 99 Windows processes operating but no IE or Windows icon on task manager. I was shopping on Amazon after an update yesterday when I believe I encountered malware. Help...