Windows 10: Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders

Discus and support Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My folders are appearing as blank folder icons, where in Win 10 they showed thumbnail previews of the contents. I've searched online for answers, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Paul Heymont, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders

My folders are appearing as blank folder icons, where in Win 10 they showed thumbnail previews of the contents. I've searched online for answers, and most appear to apply to earlier versions, and tell me to uncheck the 'icon only, no thumbnail' choice in ViewOptions, but that is already unchecked, so that is not the answer.Does anyone have an actual working answer? Thanks if you do!.....ph

:)

Paul Heymont, Nov 28, 2021
  2. Clavius Win User

Preview Pane for Images/Some Thumbnails/Photos not Working Only on OneDrive Folder

The preview pane and thumbnails as well as the Photos app are not working, but only on my OneDrive folder. It works fine on an exact copy of the same files that are not in the OneDrive synced folder structure (and known to Windows as being OneDrive).

• Open OneDrive Folder, navigate to photos directory
    • Sony Raw images (.ARW) do not show thumbnails. (I have the Sony plug in installed)
    • Double click on a raw file, Photos says "We can't open this file."
    • Click on a jpeg file, and with preview window turned on, no preview appears
    • Double click on jpeg file, opens fine in Photos, and then the preview window image appears

• Navigate to a directory that is not synced to OneDrive
    • Sony Raw thumbnails show up fine. They also show up in the preview window.
    • Double click on Raw file and Photos opens it up without problems

• Back to OneDrive photo directory
    • Copy raw file to desktop
    • Immediately the thumbnail appears and the file can be opened with Photos. The same file that it can't open from Explorer in the OneDrive directory

This is only happening on my desktop. My laptop is fine. Both same versions of Windows 10 Version 1709 OS Build 16299.19

Clavius, Nov 28, 2021
  3. Greg Carmack - MVP, Nov 28, 2021
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders

Windows 7 wrong thumbnail picture

Either, what Mussels said, or...
    Looks like you have dis-abled thumbnail previews some how... as, that is the default file folder icon.

If you are using any system speed up utilities, they may have disabled it.
    Look here and try to turn it back on.
    How to Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in Windows 7 Explorer

95Viper, Nov 28, 2021
Thema:

Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders

1. Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders - Similar Threads - Thumbnail previews show

2. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing: Hello there,I was working on File Explorer recently and noticed that my file thumbnails mostly my video files are not showing their thumbnails in my folder instead of the program icon. I've had this problem for quite some time now, since a few months ago. It's becoming a...
  3. Thumbnails not showing Windows 11 - Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnails not showing Windows 11 - Pictures folder: Hi there,So in my Pictures folder, I used to see all the images as thumbnails, as I should.Now, some images are showing as usual, then there's a bunch not showing.All I did was update Windows, sheesh, it's like living in a rocket with Microsoft, one moment you're headed in...
  4. Thumbnails not showing Windows 11 - Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thumbnails not showing Windows 11 - Pictures folder: Hi there,So in my Pictures folder, I used to see all the images as thumbnails, as I should.Now, some images are showing as usual, then there's a bunch not showing.All I did was update Windows, sheesh, it's like living in a rocket with Microsoft, one moment you're headed in...
  5. Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?: Hello, I use an external HDD and created various media folders on there. I customized each folder and chose a file to show on the folder icon; however, the problem I get is that the preview seems to change on me. For example, if I view as extra large icons it displays as the...
  6. Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?: Hello, I use an external HDD and created various media folders on there. I customized each folder and chose a file to show on the folder icon; however, the problem I get is that the preview seems to change on me. For example, if I view as extra large icons it displays as the...
  7. Thumbnail previews in WIndows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnail previews in WIndows 11: I am trying to sort some photos and have to open the individual folders, then the individual photo to see if it's the one I want out of thousands of photos. :O I tried the windows 10 method of checking and unchecking show thumbnails not icons and to no avail. What gives? I am...
  8. Thumbnail previews in WIndows 11

Thumbnail previews in WIndows 11: I am trying to sort some photos and have to open the individual folders, then the individual photo to see if it's the one I want out of thousands of photos. :O I tried the windows 10 method of checking and unchecking show thumbnails not icons and to no avail. What gives? I am...
  9. Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders

Windows 11: Thumbnail previews do not show on folders: My folders are appearing as blank folder icons, where in Win 10 they showed thumbnail previews of the contents. I've searched online for answers, and most appear to apply to earlier versions, and tell me to uncheck the 'icon only, no thumbnail' choice in ViewOptions, but that...
  10. Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders: (Can't seem to post this to OneDrive so reverting to Windows) My Documents on my machine is configured in my OneDrive folder system. All data is saved in OneDrive and then synchronized to the Cloud. Several months ago, I lost the ability to "reliably" see Thumbnail...