Windows 10: Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive

Discus and support Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi!Somewhat recently i aquired a 4tb HDD and allocated half of it just fine but noticed that the other half wasn't included in the volume and when i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by FoguWantsLiveMessengerBac, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive

Hi!Somewhat recently i aquired a 4tb HDD and allocated half of it just fine but noticed that the other half wasn't included in the volume and when i tried to allocate it all the options were grey. I don't know what to do so please if any of you have had the issue before and fixed it, tell me how you did!

:)

FoguWantsLiveMessengerBac, Jun 26, 2022
  2. daveb47 Win User

4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.985)

Version: 10.0.19042
    Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive [​IMG]

I have 2 Seagate Barracuda drives that only show as 2tb.
    They are gpt.
    This is since using them in raid in nas.
    tried everything in this thread
    Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT
    Drives are F & G in screenshot,i have 2 other 4tb drives that are fine.

daveb47, Jun 26, 2022
  3. Use of drives wrongly allocated.

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if Windows 10 is not installed properly.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to

To assist you better, please provide us the information below:

• When you say that "Windows 10 I discover that the 2TB hard drive that I used for photographs only has been allocated for use as the primary root drive C", are you referring that 2TB drive is where Windows 10 is installed? Which drive have you exactly clean
      install Windows 10?
    • What is the drive name where Windows 10 is previously installed?

Please get back to us with an update on Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 26, 2022
  4. Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive

New 4TB Hard Drive Read As 1.6TB

The 4TB drive only shows 1.6TB, there always are two reasons for that:

1.The 4TB hard drive has been initialized to a wrong partition table. If you find a formatted hard drive not showing full capacity, which is mainly because you format the
    4TB hard drive to MBR partition table. As we all know, MBR partition table cannot address to the space that exceeds 2TB. As a result, to use a full capacity of a hard drive that is larger than 2TB, you need to initialize it to GPT partition table
    via
    an MBR to GPT converter

2.The 4TB external hard drive does not connect correctly. Some portable hard drive and USB hard drive are designed to connect a PC via a USB port. If you install the USB hard drive to your computer, the hard drive capacity detecting may
    become an issue. An accepted explanation is the controller board of USB hard drive breaks the 2TB limitation, yet Windows internal device controller does not. Therefore, you need to additional hardware to make the installed USB/portable hard drive showing
    full capacity. In that case, all you need to do is connecting the 4TB USB hard drive via USB port.

emilywang2, Jun 26, 2022
Thema:

Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive

1. Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive - Similar Threads - unable allocate 2tb

2. Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive: Hi!Somewhat recently i aquired a 4tb HDD and allocated half of it just fine but noticed that the other half wasn't included in the volume and when i tried to allocate it all the options were grey. I don't know what to do so please if any of you have had the issue before and...
  3. Hard Drive Allocation Confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Allocation Confusion: Hello! So, my PC has slowed down recently and at the recommendation of a friend I was looking at my SSD health when I saw this. Already I'm assuming my boot partition shouldn't be that large but the same hard-drive has many of my games downloaded onto it within the same...
  4. Hard Drive Allocation Confusion

Hard Drive Allocation Confusion: Hello! So, my PC has slowed down recently and at the recommendation of a friend I was looking at my SSD health when I saw this. Already I'm assuming my boot partition shouldn't be that large but the same hard-drive has many of my games downloaded onto it within the same...
  5. Windows 11 compatibility with standard 2TB external hard drive

Windows 11 compatibility with standard 2TB external hard drive: I recently purchased an new HP Envy laptop Ryzen 7 processor and plan to upgrade to Windows 11. Are my existing external hard drive storage devices used with Windows 10 compatible with Windows 11? Thank you....
  6. 4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.985) Version: 10.0.19042 I have 2 Seagate Barracuda drives that only show as 2tb. They are gpt. This is since using them in raid in nas. tried everything in this thread Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT...
  7. Allocation of hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Allocation of hard drive: How do I allocate more space to the C drive on mycomputer I have 931 GB of available space but the OS is using 101GB's of the 102 allocated to it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/allocation-of-hard-drive/81c72fb0-229d-495f-9b05-aeaf94df3815
  8. 4tb hard drive only allows me to use 2tb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    4tb hard drive only allows me to use 2tb: I got a 4tb Hdd and I think it said that a certain amount is for the system or something and I couldn’t use all 4tb, I could only use 2tb. Sorry I can’t provide more info but does anyone know why this might’ve happened or if this is normal. Is there anything wrong with...
  9. Allocating Hard Drive Space

in Windows 10 Customization
    Allocating Hard Drive Space: Lets start from the beginning. I dropped my computer about a month ago and the hard drive started to fail on me so i shut the computer down for a while, got a new hard drive, and used a dock like thing to clone the stuff from my dying hard drive to my new one. my issue now is...
  10. Install Windows 10 on a 4TB hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 on a 4TB hard drive: Windows 10 went into total meltdown (again). When copying files from my had drive to an external drive I noticed a lot of I/O errors, so I bought a new hard drive (4TB). Since Windows would not boot I downloaded the latest Windows 10 64-bit iso file and burned it to a DVD....