Windows 10: Windows 11 update rolled back because of Start Menu opening issues

Discus and support Windows 11 update rolled back because of Start Menu opening issues in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft confirmed a new Windows 11 issue this weekend that is causing Start Menu opening issues on the operating system. Some users started to report... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jul 24, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 11 update rolled back because of Start Menu opening issues

Microsoft confirmed a new Windows 11 issue this weekend that is causing Start Menu opening issues on the operating system. Some users started to report the issue to Microsoft after installation of KB5014668 on devices running Windows 11.

Windows 11 update rolled back because of Start Menu opening issues windows-11-start-menu-issue.png

KB5014668 is the latest optional update for the operating system. Optional updates are released as previews, some call them beta updates, that will be integrated in the cumulative updates that Microsoft releases on the second Tuesday of the following month.

Tip: read here why you should not install optional updates or optional driver updates on Windows 11 devices (with some exceptions).

Optional updates are used to preview the non-security parts of upcoming cumulative updates for the Windows operating system. Administrators use them for functionality tests. Unless the optional updates fix a critical issue in Windows that a user experiences on a device, they should not be installed.

Microsoft confirmed the Start Menu issue on July 22, 2022.

After installing KB5014668 or later updates, we have received reports that a small number of devices might be unable to open the Start menu. On affected devices, clicking or selecting the Start button, or using the Windows key on your keyboard might have no effect.

The company provides little information: the scope of the issue is unclear and what is triggering it on the "small number of devices". It could be an incompatibility with antivirus software, but that is speculation at this point.

Users who experience the issue may face certain workflow issues. Even powering down the system may be challenging to some, depending on their experience with the operating system. Good old Ctrl-Alt-Delete may help here, and the run box, opened with Windows-R, may help with the launching of programs and tools.

Microsoft rolled back the issue using Known Issue Rollback. The rollback may take "up to 24 hours to propagate" to consumer devices and non-managed devices. For most users, the issue should be resolved already at the time of writing.

Enterprise-managed devices require more attention:

For enterprise-managed devices that have installed an affected update and encountered this issue can resolve it by installing and configuring a special Group Policy. The special Group Policy can be found in Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> KB5014668 220721_04201 Known Issue Rollback -> Windows 11 (original release).

The optional update will be part of the August 11, 2022 Patch Tuesday.

Now You: did you run into any issues recently with Windows (updates)?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 11 update rolled back because of Start Menu opening issues appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jul 24, 2022

2. Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Jul 24, 2022
  3. Windows 10 Start menu won't open

Hi,

As you are unable to access Windows Start menu on your device. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ missing system files on your device.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you made nay changes to the operating system that might have resulted in this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access Start menu on your device?

I suggest you to refer to the Microsoft help article about Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu
    or Cortana
    try the troubleshooting steps suggested and check if it helps.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 24, 2022
  4. Arun B J Win User

Start menu and action center is not working in Windows 10

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• What is the exact issue that you’re facing with Start menu?

• Are you not able to open Start menu?

• Are you getting any error message?
    I suggest you to follow the step below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Check for the latest updates and install.

• Press Windows logo key +R, enter
      MS-settings:
      and then press OK. This opens Settings.

• In Settings, go to Update & security >
      Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.
    Step 2: I suggest you to run
    Start menu troubleshooter. After you've completed the troubleshooter, restart your device.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jul 24, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows 11 update rolled back because of Start Menu opening issues - Similar Threads - update rolled Start

2. Windows 11 Start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Start menu not opening: Windows 11 Start menu, including audio control not opening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-start-menu-not-opening/d0fbf0fd-0c34-42b9-83fd-32f67e6dd570
  3. Windows 11 Start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start menu not opening: Windows 11 Start menu, including audio control not opening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-start-menu-not-opening/d0fbf0fd-0c34-42b9-83fd-32f67e6dd570
  4. Windows 11 issue where "updates failed to install, rolling back changes"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 issue where "updates failed to install, rolling back changes": So, a while back I had installed Win 11 as a dual-boot with Win 10, then had problems with the UEFI boot manager when I switched to Win 11 exclusively and securely wiped and then removed the Win 10 drive and suddenly my system wouldn't boot.While Greg Carmack was able to help...
  5. Windows 11 issue where "updates failed to install, rolling back changes"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 issue where "updates failed to install, rolling back changes": So, a while back I had installed Win 11 as a dual-boot with Win 10, then had problems with the UEFI boot manager when I switched to Win 11 exclusively and securely wiped and then removed the Win 10 drive and suddenly my system wouldn't boot.While Greg Carmack was able to help...
  6. Windows 11: Microsoft rolls out Start Menu Promotions

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11: Microsoft rolls out Start Menu Promotions: Microsoft released optional updates for its Windows 11 operating system yesterday. These non-security updates may introduce new features and changes to Windows. The official changelog of KB5023778 for Windows 11 version 22H2 lists bug fixes, improvements and changes. These...
  7. Windows Update 20H2 - Rolled back and then issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update 20H2 - Rolled back and then issues: I have a Windows 10 Home Version 1909 on an old desktop PC. On March 9th, the Windows tried to update itself to version 20H2, but by some reason didn't manage to, and then rolled back to version 1909. Since this rolled-back update my wi-fi dongles have given several...
  8. Windows Start menu button not work post update and after roll back search bar stopped...

in Cortana
    Windows Start menu button not work post update and after roll back search bar stopped...: Hello. My girlfriends computer was really slow. Surrogate COM was taking up 100% disk space. We did the windows disk clean Right click C > Properties > Disk clean up and selected temporary internet files and thumbnails. This took care of Surrogate COM but then abunch of...
  9. Roll back Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Roll back Windows 10 update: I don't know if there was one last night, but I think there was. Now half my games won't load, my microphone won't work and Chrome setup itself to bing, which it's never done before, and I don't know why else than a windows update it would. almost all of my stuff is broken,...
  10. Windows 10 roll back issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 roll back issues: I purchased a laptop from a previous owner and immediately found an issue. Windows 10 was installed on it and it doesn't support win 10. I have issue like updates cant install and the touch pad not working properly. For some reason the previous owner let this go but for me it...