Windows 10: Windows 11 updates made all my games stutter and lag

Discus and support Windows 11 updates made all my games stutter and lag in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have been a pc gamer since I was 9 and games have always been smooth. From my Sims 3 days to my current fallout 4 and stardew valley rotation,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Simsgrl5, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Simsgrl5 Win User

Windows 11 updates made all my games stutter and lag

I have been a pc gamer since I was 9 and games have always been smooth. From my Sims 3 days to my current fallout 4 and stardew valley rotation, everything has worked fine. Back in the day I had an Emachines desktop that could play Sims like nobody’s business, but now on my new up to date hardware, sims, fallout 4, stardew valley, etc, all stutter and have weird fps drops.I have Intel i7 and Nvidia 3070 Ti and 32gb of ram with 144hz monitor. None of my games can hold that stable 144, it will drop to 143 which shouldn’t be noticeable but it gives a large stutter or jolt when the fps drops. I ha

:)

Simsgrl5, Feb 25, 2024

2. Windows 11 lags / stutters on Desktop (new PC)

Hello guys

I recently bought a new PC after my old one was overdue.

The new PC is an HP Omen 45L GT22-0629nz

Specs:

• Windows 11 Home (22H2, 64 Bit)
    • AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X
    • 32 GB RAM
    • 1 TB SSD
    • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti (8 GB)
    Since I set up the PC whenever I'm on the desktop, windows and all windows applications tend to lag / stutter / work slow.

When try to open up the windows menu (Windows Key), the Windows explorer or applications like "settings" the pc takes a few seconds to open it, then the application stutters or is very laggy. Dragging program windows across the screen stutters also.

In contrary when I open up a game (for example CS:GO) and minimze the game, Windows runs smoothly (everything opens instantly, no stutters, etc.).

The task manager and the graphs tell me that 16% CPU and about 20%-22% RAM is used while the PC is not operating anything.

So the lag / stuttering ONLY occurs on windows itself, not other programs (games, browser, etc.) and only when nothing else is open.

What I tried to fix it:

• All Windows Updates
    • Driver Updates
    • Optional Windows and Driver Updates
    • BIOS Update
    • GPU Driver Update
    • "Reset-PC" in Windows Options with "Deleting all Data" and "Formatting all discs"
    I couldn't figure out what causes the lag so far, maybe I have an experimental version of Windows?

Is it a windows or hardware problem?

PC is out of the box so I didn't change hard- or software so far except dowloading firefox and steam.

If there's not an easy solution I have overseen so far I am considering contacting HP support.

Thanks for Help

-Sammy

SammyFox83, Feb 25, 2024
  3. Keyboard or System lag/stutter?

Hello Luke -

1) Try these fixes for Windows 11 lagging and stuttering in games:

https://thegeekpage.com/low-fps-and-stutter/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/pjd...

https://www.pcgamer.com/if-youre-seeing-unexpla...

https://appuals.com/fix-low-fps-while-gaming-wi...

(Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially DO NOT INSTALL Restoro, PC Repair Tool and Reimage ads)

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-game-stutt...

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/wi...

2) If those don't help then go over Windows 11 with this Performance Checklist to try to find and fix problems:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Feel free to ask back any questions. If you'll post back detailed results then I may know what to suggest next, if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-2020 (retired), Feb 25, 2024
  4. Windows 11 updates made all my games stutter and lag

High end build, stuttering in every game

Hello, this is my build:

• i5-6600k
    • ASUS MAXIMUS RANGER VIII
    • MSI GTX 1060 6G
    • Samsung SSD 850 evo 250gb
    • WD Caviar Blue 1TB
    • G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 DDR4 (XMP profile)
    • Dual monitor: Zowie XL2411 144hz + BenQ GW2260 60Hz
    I get stuttering in the following titles:

• Rocket League: every time a new player join a match the game freeze, also when V-Sync is on I get random lag from 144 to 130 and then the game continue to run smoothly.
    • GTA V: random stuttering Online and fps drops, V-Sync on.
    • PUBG: random stuttering, V-Sync off.
    • Rust: stuttering when loading chunks with fps drops.
    • Ark: as Rust.
    • Total War Warhammer: random stuttering in the strategic map, V-Sync on.
    What I've done till now:

• Tried every graphic settings.
    • All kind of Windows 10 optimizations like Performance mode, Xbox game mode off, disabled unnecessary services and tasks, no antivirus (Windows Defender on only).
    • Hard drive defragmentation.
    • Nvidia control panel optimizations for every game like Thread optimization, tried several v-sync modes, etc.
    • All drivers are updated.
    • No pending Windows updates.
    • Temps are fine, GPU and CPU never go above 65C.
    • Shadowplay overlay off.
    • Playing with one monitor at once.
    • Moved games from HDD to SSD.
    • Tried different version of GPU drivers.
    • Disabled the page on the HDD and fixed its size on the SSD with the reccommended value.
    • Memtest for both RAM stick at once (8 pass each no errors).
    What I've not tried yet is to reinstall the OS... benchmarks and performance in game are ok and in line with every other user... do you have any suggestions? Could it be network related? How can I analyze the stuttering?

PS: I'm testing with Latencymon and doing some screenshot of gpu and cpu usage

djanthony93, Feb 25, 2024
Thema:

Windows 11 updates made all my games stutter and lag

1. Windows 11 updates made all my games stutter and lag - Similar Threads - updates made games

2. Windows 11 updates made all my games stutter and lag

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 updates made all my games stutter and lag: I have been a pc gamer since I was 9 and games have always been smooth. From my Sims 3 days to my current fallout 4 and stardew valley rotation, everything has worked fine. Back in the day I had an Emachines desktop that could play Sims like nobody’s business, but now on my...
  3. Windows 11 lags/ stutters with weird sound in games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 lags/ stutters with weird sound in games: ever since kb5030219 i've experienced weird stutter in games always with this kinda shredding sound whats weird is that its always in 3d games no matter if the graphics are really goodrdr2 or agedskyrim. this never happens in 2d games even if they are heavier on performance...
  4. Windows 11 lags/ stutters with weird sound in games

Windows 11 lags/ stutters with weird sound in games: ever since kb5030219 i've experienced weird stutter in games always with this kinda shredding sound whats weird is that its always in 3d games no matter if the graphics are really goodrdr2 or agedskyrim. this never happens in 2d games even if they are heavier on performance...
  5. Windows update made my games lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update made my games lag: I’ve been having this problem for a while, I haven’t been able to do windows update since November 2021, when it forces me to I have to uninstall the updates and reinstall my graphics drivers. But 3 days ago the computer forced me to update I tried uninstalling the updates...
  6. Windows update made my games lag

Windows update made my games lag: I’ve been having this problem for a while, I haven’t been able to do windows update since November 2021, when it forces me to I have to uninstall the updates and reinstall my graphics drivers. But 3 days ago the computer forced me to update I tried uninstalling the updates...
  7. Resolution, stuttering and lags for the game DAI.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resolution, stuttering and lags for the game DAI.: I noticed my reg, games I play on face book their resolution change, my screen is reg then when I click on the game to play it's the size of a small notebook, I do all the updates check drivers' updates, did as others quoted to do, so I am at a loss here, everything did work...
  8. Stutters and lags in the game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stutters and lags in the game: Hello, I hope you can help me or give me some advice on how to fix my problem with the desktop pc. I bought a gaming desktop pc to play the latest games. It's a high-end desktop pc. And I am very struggling with stutters in the games. Micro stutters or lags I guess. They are...
  9. Stutters and lags in the game

Stutters and lags in the game: Hello, I hope you can help me or give me some advice on how to fix my problem with the desktop pc. I bought a gaming desktop pc to play the latest games. It's a high-end desktop pc. And I am very struggling with stutters in the games. Micro stutters or lags I guess. They are...
  10. Stuttering, in all games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuttering, in all games.: Hi! I've noticed, that I've recently had, some sort of stuttering, where my game will stutter, every three second. I'm not sure, if it came after I installed the Windows 10 Creators Update. My rig: CPU Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz RAM 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @...