Windows 10: Windows 11 version 22H2: Control Panel and Settings changes

Discus and support Windows 11 version 22H2: Control Panel and Settings changes in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In the seventh part of the "what's new in Windows 11 version 22H2" series, we are taking a look at Control Panel and Settings changes. [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 7, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 11 version 22H2: Control Panel and Settings changes

In the seventh part of the "what's new in Windows 11 version 22H2" series, we are taking a look at Control Panel and Settings changes.

Windows 11 version 22H2: Control Panel and Settings changes windows-11-2022-update-uninstall.png

Microsoft began to replace the classic Control Panel management tool of Windows with the Settings application in Windows 10. Some controls were moved over to the Settings application, but the Control Panel remained an important tool.

Microsoft migrated some Control Panel tools to the Settings application over the years, but the Control Panel remained an essential tool when it released Windows 11 last year.

In Windows 11, Microsoft moved a few sections of the Control Panel to the Settings app, continuing its slow-paced replacement of the Control Panel.

Now, with the upcoming release of Windows 11 2022 Update, come additional changes to the Control Panel and Settings app. The two major changes are a new Advanced Sharing Settings page in the Network settings and the ability to uninstall Windows updates in the Settings app.

In a hurry? Here are the main changes:

• Updates are now uninstalled in the Settings app.
    • New Advanced Sharing Settings option in Network & Internet.
    Windows Updates uninstallation

Windows 11 version 22H2: Control Panel and Settings changes windows-updates-uninstall.png

The Windows Update section of the Settings app in Windows 11 controls the updating on most Home systems that are powered by the operating system.

Updates do get installed automatically on most Windows devices, but Windows 11 users get some controls right in the settings. Besides running manual checks for updates or pausing updating for a short period, the Settings app is offering advanced options and the history of updates.

The Update history section lists successful and failed update installations on the device; these are sorted into groups, such as Quality Updates, Driver Updates, or Definition Updates. The usefulness of the listing was diminished by the fact that it lacked uninstallation options.

Users are redirected to the Control Panel application in the release version of Windows 11 when they activate the "uninstall updates" option in the Settings.

With the release of Windows 11 version 22H2 comes the integration of update uninstalls.

1. Open Start > Settings, or use the keyboard shortcut Windows-I to open it.
    2. Open Windows Update.
    3. Select Update history on the page that opens.
    4. Activate the "uninstall updates" option.
    5. Locate the update that you want removed from the system and activate the uninstall link next to it.

There you find listed some of the installed updates, but not all of them. Cumulative updates are displayed, but you won't find driver updates or "other updates" listed in the section. Most administrators may want to uninstall Windows updates from the command line, anyway, as it is quicker and gives them access to all installed updates.

The Settings application listing of installed updates lacks features that the Control Panel applet section offered. The installed updates section of the Control Panel displayed the data in a table. Users could click on a column to sort the updates listing accordingly. Options to add more data points to the table or remove those that are not needed were also supported. These options are missing in the Settings app.

The same issue affects the application listing in the Settings app, which does not offer the sorting option or the option to add more data points as well.

Networking: Advanced Sharing Settings

Windows 11 version 22H2: Control Panel and Settings changes advanced-sharing-settings.png

Advanced Sharing Settings is a new section under Networking.

1. Open the Settings app.
    2. Select Network & Internet.
    3. Activate Advanced network settings.
    4. Select Advanced sharing settings.

The settings page divides the options into the three groups private networks, public networks and all networks.

Here are the available options and what they do:

• Private Networks: Network Discovery -- enabled by default. The PC and other devices may be found on the same network.
    • Private Networks: Set up network connected devices automatically -- enabled by default.
    • Private Networks: File and printer sharing -- disabled by default. Allows other devices on the network to access shared files and printers on the device.
    • Public Networks: Network Discovery -- disabled by default.
    • Public Networks: File and printer sharing -- disabled by default.
    • All networks: Public folder sharing -- disabled by default. Other devices on the network may read and write files to public folders.
    • All networks: File sharing connections -- Set to 128-bit encrypting for devices that support it. May be lowered to "40- or 56.bit encryption".
    • All networks: Password protected sharing -- enabled by default. Only people with a user account and password may access shared files, printers and Public folders on the PC.

Network and Internet is still available in the Control Panel, but some of the tools in the applet link to the Network section of the Settings app. The activation of "change advanced sharing settings" in the Network and Sharing Center opens the Advanced sharing settings of the Settings app in the new version.

Changes that may not make it into Windows 11 Version 22H2

Some changes that Microsoft announced won't likely be included in the upcoming feature update. They may be introduced as part of a Moments update. Moments are smaller updates that drop new features into the operating system. The first Moments update is planned for October already, but there will be more.

Considering that Microsoft will likely switch to a 3-year release cycle for major Windows updates, it is clear that most improvements will land via Moments updates.

One of the main upcoming changes improves the Apps section of the Settings application. The section is limited in the release version of Windows 11 and Microsoft has plans to change that.

App management includes support for repairing and modifying Win32 applications, and also for programs with inter-dependencies, e.g. apps or games installed via Steam and other stores. It seems likely that Microsoft will remove the "uninstall a program" section from the Control Panel in the process, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Closing Words

Microsoft continues its slow-paced migration of the Control Panel to the Settings app. With each Windows 10 and 11 feature update, one or two options were moved from the Control Panel to the Settings app. It seems unlikely that the migration is picking up pace in the coming years.

Now You: what is your take on the Settings app?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 11 version 22H2: Control Panel and Settings changes appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 7, 2022

2. Windows 11 22h2 Smart App control

HI I was wondering if someone could please clarify for me wether Smart App control will be installed with windows 11 22h2 home without a complete clean install of windows 11 home on my dell laptop. I was just reading about this security features that may be in windows 11 22h2.

Windows 11 home 64 bit

Version: 21h2

Thank you for the advice

Howard_35_78, Sep 7, 2022
  3. Brink Win User
    Preview of Windows 11 version 22H2 now available

Read more: Preview of Windows 11 version 22H2 now available | Windows 11 Forum

Brink, Sep 7, 2022
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 11 22h2 Smart App control

Hi Howard_35_78

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

it is not yet clear if the smart Apps Control option will be ready for version 22h2, it is still in the testing phase, so I doubt it will be part of 22h2, which is nearly ready for pubic release.

They do indicate that even when that functionality is finally released, anyone who wants to enable that feature would need to re-install or reset Windows 11, otherwise that option cannot be enabled.

DaveM121, Sep 7, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows 11 version 22H2: Control Panel and Settings changes - Similar Threads - version 22H2 Control

2. where is the control panel for windows 10 version 22h2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    where is the control panel for windows 10 version 22h2: where is the control panel for windows 10 version 22h2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-the-control-panel-for-windows-10-version/faf075a9-ee7d-4fde-92e3-d5918c098c6b
  3. where is the control panel for windows 10 version 22h2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    where is the control panel for windows 10 version 22h2: where is the control panel for windows 10 version 22h2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-the-control-panel-for-windows-10-version/faf075a9-ee7d-4fde-92e3-d5918c098c6b
  4. where is the control panel for windows 10 version 22h2

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 11 22H2 BSOD when opening Nvidia Control Panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22H2 BSOD when opening Nvidia Control Panel: I'm having issues with my nvidia control panel as whenever I try launching it, 3 seconds later, my PC blue screens and restarts. Geforce experience works and I've tried updating the video drivers for that, and same issue appears. I've tried uninstalling nvidia control panel...
  6. Windows 11 22H2 BSOD when opening Nvidia Control Panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 22H2 BSOD when opening Nvidia Control Panel: I'm having issues with my nvidia control panel as whenever I try launching it, 3 seconds later, my PC blue screens and restarts. Geforce experience works and I've tried updating the video drivers for that, and same issue appears. I've tried uninstalling nvidia control panel...
  7. No option to open Device and Printers in control panel in Windows 11 22h2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to open Device and Printers in control panel in Windows 11 22h2: In previous versions of windows 11 and windows 10, I was able to access the devices and printers options from control panel instead of settings. Now the devices and printers from control panel opens the settings, which lack some options, especially the option to turn on or...
  8. Windows 11 version 22H2: gaming changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 version 22H2: gaming changes: In the sixth part of the series, we are looking at the improvements for gamers and gaming in the upcoming Windows 11 2022 update. [ATTACH] When Microsoft launched the original version of Windows 11 last year, it promoted the operating system as the best Windows system for...
  9. Windows 11 version 22H2: taskbar changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 version 22H2: taskbar changes: In the second part of the series, we are going to take a look at taskbar changes and improvements in Windows 11 version 22H2. [ATTACH] Just like Microsoft did reduce Start Menu functionality in the original Windows 11 release, it reduced the functionality of the taskbar in...
  10. Control Panel AND Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Control Panel AND Settings: Why do we find two possibilities to change settings, Control Panel and Settings. They don't cover eachother as far as I know. Why not bring them together? It would be much less confusing in my opinion....