Windows 10: Windows 11 version 22H2: snap assist changes

Discus and support Windows 11 version 22H2: snap assist changes in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In the third part of the series, we are going to take a closer look at the changes that Microsoft makes to Windows 11's Snap Assist feature in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 24, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 11 version 22H2: snap assist changes

In the third part of the series, we are going to take a closer look at the changes that Microsoft makes to Windows 11's Snap Assist feature in the Windows 11 2022 update.

Microsoft did not introduce too many new features in Windows 11. Snap Assist, a feature to manage program windows more efficiently, was well received when it was unveiled.

Windows 11 version 22H2: snap assist changes windows-11-snap-assist.png

At its core, Snap Assist gives users an option at hand to align program windows on the screen based on a number of supported patterns. The layouts depend on the size of the display, but include options to align two windows side-by-side in a 50% to 50% and 75% to 25% , three windows side by side, three windows with a ratio of 25% to 50% to 25%, three windows with one occupying 50% of the screen and the other two windows split vertically, and four windows with each taking up 25% of the space.

Snap Assist is accessed by hovering the mouse cursor over the maximize button of windows. The keyboard shortcut Windows-Z may also be used to invoke the feature.

Windows 11 displays the available layouts and the selection of one of the layouts aligns the active window and other windows that are open accordingly. Users may choose the location of the active window and of other windows that they want to be visible again.

The beauty of Snap Assist is that it extends Windows' ability to display multiple windows next to each other on the screen without getting in the way. In fact, many Windows 11 users are probably unaware that Snap Assist does exist. Even those who know that it exists, may forget that it is an option at times.

Windows supports snapping two program windows next to each other on the desktop. All it takes for that is to drop a program window to the left or right side of the screen. Microsoft introduced support for snapping windows to a quarter of the screen in Windows 10. There, users had options to display one window on one side of the screen and two windows split in half vertically, or four windows on the screen, with each occupying a corner of the screen.

Snap Assist extends the availably layouts on larger displays and integrates the functionality so that it becomes accessible in the program window itself.

Snap Assist in Windows 11 2022 Update

Windows 11 version 22H2: snap assist changes windows-11-2022-update-snap-assist.png

Microsoft improves Snap Assist in two meaningful ways in the upcoming feature update for Windows 11. Keyboard users who use Snap Assist with the shortcut Windows-Z will notice that numbers are now displayed for each of the available layouts.

In the release version of Windows 11, keyboard users had no option to select one of the layouts using the keyboard. With the Windows 11 2022 Update comes support for that. Just tap on one of the numbers to select that layout.

Once done, even more numbers, starting with 1, show up for each of the available sections of the selected layout. Press the number to assign the active window to the section of the layout. The remaining open windows are displayed then and may be selected using the arrow keys and the Enter-key.

Windows 11 version 22H2: snap assist changes windows-11-snap-assist-select-layout-position.png

Note that the numbers are only displayed if the keyboard shortcut Windows-Z is used. Hovering over the maximize window button does not display the numbers; this means, that you can't tap on a number on the keyboard to select a layout or assign a window to a position in the layout.

The second change improves the visibility of Snap Assist and unlocks the functionality on touch-powered devices. Whenever a window is moved on the screen, Windows 11 displays a bar at the top. Once the window touches the bar, Snap Assist layouts are displayed. To maximize the windows, move it besides the Snap Assist layouts.

Windows 11 version 22H2: snap assist changes windows-11-snap-assist-touch.png

Each layout and section of the layout becomes selectable when you move the window over it. Windows 11 shows a preview of the area on the screen as well to provide better visuals. Letting go aligns the dropped window accordingly on the screen. From there, other windows may be selected to occupy the remaining slots of the layout.

The entire process is very convenient; especially for touch users as it unlocks Snap Assist functionality on their devices.

Windows 11 version 22H2: snap assist changes windows-11-snap-assist-1.png

The bar that is displayed when windows are moved serves a second purpose: it brings attention to Snap Assist functionality to users.

Configuring Snap Assist

Windows 11 version 22H2: snap assist changes windows-11-snap-assist-configure.png

Several Snap Assist related configuration options are available in the system settings. These allow users to disable the functionality or change it.

1. Select Start > Settings > System > Multitasking.
    2. There, the following options are provided (enabled by default, unless mentioned otherwise):
      • When I snap a window, suggest what I can snap next to it.
      • Show snap layouts when I drag a window to the top of my screen.
      • Show my snapped windows when I hover over taskbar apps, in Task view, and when I press Alt-Tab
      • When I drag a window, let me snap it without dragging all the way to the screen edge.
      • Show Microsoft Edge tabs when snapping or pressing Alt-Tab.
      • Select the number of recent Edge tabs to suggest (default is 3).
      • Configure Title Bar window share (off by default)

An option to disable Snap Assist entirely is provided. Windows users may also disable some functionality, like the small bar that Windows 11 displays when windows are moved using the settings.

Closing Words

Snap Assist in the upcoming feature update for Windows 11 is getting several needed improvements. It improves the functionality for keyboard users, who could not control it using just the keyboard, and it unlocks it for touch-based device users, who could not use it at all until now, as it required using a keyboard shortcut or a mouse.

The default configuration improves the visibility of Snap Assist for all users, at least those who drag windows around. It is likely that some may notice it for the first time at all, even when they worked on a Windows 11 device for month or even since release.

Snap Assist is still not an all-powerful solution. FreeSnap, released in 2008 and likely not compatible with new Windows releases, offered more functionality and keyboard shortcuts. There is also AquaSnap, which gives users more control over the snapping behavior.

Now You: do you use Snap Assist or snapping functionality in previous Windows versions?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 11 version 22H2: snap assist changes appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 24, 2022
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Snap Assist

Hi Cory,

The Snap Assist allows you to juggle apps, arrange open windows, resize windows by simply dragging and dropping them to the edges of the screen. If you don't want to get a quarter screen snap, you can change the settings of Snap Assist by follow the steps below:

• Open the Settings app
    • Click System.
    • Click Multitasking.
    • You can turn off some of the option of Snap Assist on this window.

If you want to disable Snap Assist, you can turn off Arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen.

Should you have further queries, feel free to post it.

Eric Ber, Aug 24, 2022
  3. When Windows 11 22H2 version will be released?

Actually, it is already released to Windows Insiders Members.

If you want to see some of the features of Windows 11 version 22H2 you can check over here>

Windows 11 22H2 Coming with HUGE Improvements | 3 Biggest Improvements/Features of Windows 11

LearnTech1, Aug 24, 2022
  4. Brink Win User

Preview of Windows 11 version 22H2 now available

Read more: Preview of Windows 11 version 22H2 now available | Windows 11 Forum

Brink, Aug 24, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows 11 version 22H2: snap assist changes - Similar Threads - version 22H2 snap

2. Cannot get rid of snap assist on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get rid of snap assist on Windows 11: Since the last update to Windows circa Jan 13, there's a snap assist window on the screen of my laptop. It snaps the windows if I select any of the layout options.The thing is, I can't get rid of this window. It doesn't move, it doesn't close. I don't want it on top of...
  3. Cannot get rid of snap assist on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot get rid of snap assist on Windows 11: Since the last update to Windows circa Jan 13, there's a snap assist window on the screen of my laptop. It snaps the windows if I select any of the layout options.The thing is, I can't get rid of this window. It doesn't move, it doesn't close. I don't want it on top of...
  4. Windows 11 version 22H2: Focus Assist and Quick Settings improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 version 22H2: Focus Assist and Quick Settings improvements: It is already the eighth part of our "what is new in Windows 11 version 22H2" series. This time, we are taking a look at Focus Assist and Quick Settings improvements in the first feature update for Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system. Most expect a September 2022 release...
  5. Windows 11 version 22H2: gaming changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 version 22H2: gaming changes: In the sixth part of the series, we are looking at the improvements for gamers and gaming in the upcoming Windows 11 2022 update. [ATTACH] When Microsoft launched the original version of Windows 11 last year, it promoted the operating system as the best Windows system for...
  6. Windows 11 version 22H2: taskbar changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 version 22H2: taskbar changes: In the second part of the series, we are going to take a look at taskbar changes and improvements in Windows 11 version 22H2. [ATTACH] Just like Microsoft did reduce Start Menu functionality in the original Windows 11 release, it reduced the functionality of the taskbar in...
  7. Change Snap Assist threshold

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Snap Assist threshold: I have to basically be going the speed of light to break through the snap assist and move a window to my second monitor and there doesn't appear to be an option to fix this from what I have seen so is there any method tofix it. given I don't see the option in the multitasking...
  8. Snap Assist error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snap Assist error: I've had this this problem for months. Using Snap assist to put a window onto the right third requires me to place it in specific places outside of the box, and even then, the window will occupy (just shy of) half of the screen instead of the intended third, as shown in the...
  9. Snap Assist In Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Snap Assist In Windows 10: [ATTACH] Snap Assist is a feature in Windows 10, that is not noticed by many. Though this feature is enabled by default in every Windows 10 PC, only a very few users are using it. In this post, we will learn [...] This post How to use Snap Assist In Windows 10 is from...
  10. Snap / Snap Assist isues

in Windows 10 Support
    Snap / Snap Assist isues: I am not at all sure Snap & Snap Assist are working as they should. I find it rather confusing to sort out what to expect, having read some articles about it (here and elswhere.) The most obvious sign is that there is no transparent overlay. I have never seen this...