Windows 10: Windows 11: When I change a file name on the desktop, the icon moves

Discus and support Windows 11: When I change a file name on the desktop, the icon moves in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 11, all updates have been installed, version is Windows 11 Pro 22H2, build 22621.1105When I rename a file that is on the desktop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Steven S, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Steven S Win User

Windows 11: When I change a file name on the desktop, the icon moves

I'm running Windows 11, all updates have been installed, version is Windows 11 Pro 22H2, build 22621.1105When I rename a file that is on the desktop, the icon for the file immediately moves to the lefthand side of the desktop, the first available space from the top. This is a new behavior that I have only experienced since installing Windows 11 [in other words, on this same computer, when it was running Windows 10, the icon for a renamed file stayed put - it didn't move].The icons on my desktop are arranged in clumps, and the clumps stay where they are. It's only when I rename a file [any file

:)

Steven S, Jan 24, 2023
  2. qubit Win User

Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink Windows 11: When I change a file name on the desktop, the icon moves ;)

qubit, Jan 24, 2023
  3. Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Jan 24, 2023
  4. Rhina Vib Win User

Move Icon to Desktop

Hi Patricia,

For us to better assist you with this concern, we need to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you are trying to move the Excel icon to your desktop?
    • Were there any changes made prior to this issue?

You can create an Excel desktop shortcut on your Windows 10 computer by referring to the steps provided in the article on this link.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, Jan 24, 2023
Thema:

1. Windows 11: When I change a file name on the desktop, the icon moves - Similar Threads - change file name

2. Windows 11: When I change a file name on the desktop, the icon moves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: When I change a file name on the desktop, the icon moves: FOCUS: This problem happens when a file on the desktop is renamed. File should be in an empty right-most portion of the desktop. It is unrelated to the settings for aligining icons or auto-arrange. Steps to repro.1. Put a file icon in the righthand side of the desktop. There...
  3. Windows 11: When I change a file name on the desktop, the icon moves

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: When I change a file name on the desktop, the icon moves: FOCUS: This problem happens when a file on the desktop is renamed. File should be in an empty right-most portion of the desktop. It is unrelated to the settings for aligining icons or auto-arrange. Steps to repro.1. Put a file icon in the righthand side of the desktop. There...
  4. Windows 11: When I change a file name on the desktop, the icon moves

Windows 11: When I change a file name on the desktop, the icon moves: I'm running Windows 11, all updates have been installed, version is Windows 11 Pro 22H2, build 22621.1105When I rename a file that is on the desktop, the icon for the file immediately moves to the lefthand side of the desktop, the first available space from the top. This is a...
  5. Windows 11 changing file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 changing file names: Since upgrading to windows 11, I've noticed if I have a file name with two dots periods in it, Windows strips the second dot and whatever is trailing. As an example:If I have a file on my NAS called test.file.txt and copy it to my local machine, the name assigned is:...
  6. Windows 11 changing file names

Windows 11 changing file names: Since upgrading to windows 11, I've noticed if I have a file name with two dots periods in it, Windows strips the second dot and whatever is trailing. As an example:If I have a file on my NAS called test.file.txt and copy it to my local machine, the name assigned is:...
  7. My laptop icons move when I move my desktop icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop icons move when I move my desktop icons: So when I download a new app, or move an existing icon on one device(desktop), it does the same thing on the other device(laptop). It’s getting kind of annoying and I want the 2 devices to keep their own apps independently, so does anyone know how to help? Much appreciated....
  8. can't change desktop icon names

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't change desktop icon names: Whenever I try to change the name of desktop icons, it asks for admin rights (I have them, only user on Windows, admin), I give it and then the whole computer just hangs until I restart explorer.exe from Task Manager. Anyone else having the same problem? Any solution or...
  9. desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving: my desktop shortcut icons keep changing size and moving about. this isn't a big deal; just annoying. check out the attachments. any ideas? [img] [img] [img] 60173
  10. Icons on Desktop move when saved

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on Desktop move when saved: Hi This might seem like a trivial problem compared to some of the others on this site, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix my icon problem. I have icons for certain files - word and excel, that I arrange in convenient places on the desktop. If I edit these then...