Windows 10: Windows 11's Get Help support app is showing ads as well now

Discus and support Windows 11's Get Help support app is showing ads as well now in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 11 users who open the official Get Help support application of the operating system may be greeted with an advertisement for Microsoft's Teams... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 2, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 11's Get Help support app is showing ads as well now

Windows 11 users who open the official Get Help support application of the operating system may be greeted with an advertisement for Microsoft's Teams application now.

The ad is not the first for Microsoft Teams in Windows 11. Back in late 2021, a Microsoft Teams advertisement was causing freezes on Windows 11 systems it was displayed on.

Get Help is a support application, designed to assist users in fixing issues that they experience on their Windows 11 devices. Windows 11 users may type the problem that they are facing, e.g., how to set up a scanner or can't install Office, and the Get Help app returns potential solutions for these issues.

Solutions may range from step-by-step instructions to running smaller tools to get things sorted out. Sometimes, Get Help may display suggestions right away, for instance, when the device's Internet connection is disrupted.

Get Help may not have the answers for all problems, but it does cover common issues that users face. It is a good starting point before the Internet is used to find out more about an issue and get advanced troubleshooting suggestions.

Get Help Advertisement

Windows 11's Get Help support app is showing ads as well now get-help-advertisement.png

When Get Help is opened now, it may display an ad for Microsoft Teams at the very top of the application's interface. The ad is shown with a slight delay, likely because it needs to be retrieved from a Microsoft server.

It states: "Increase productivity and collaboration all while staying organized, using a new meeting solution designed for small businesses."

A learn more link is provided and an x-icon to hide the advertisement in the Get Help interface. Microsoft does not reveal the name of the app in the advertisement. It is unclear if all users, including Home users, get the ad that is aimed at small businesses, or if other variants are displayed.

Activation of the link in the advertisement opens the Microsoft Teams Essentials subscription website. This particular version of Microsoft Teams is available for $4 per user and month.

The webpage lists features and requirements as well, which help users better understand what it is used for.

A click on the close icon next to the advertisement hides it in the application. Problem is, the action hides it only for the session. If you close the Get Help application and restart it, you will see the advertisement for Microsoft Teams again.

Closing Words

Microsoft is again using built-in tools and features of the Windows 11 operating system to advertise some of its other services. The operating system has some controls to disable advertisement, but these are not found in a central location, but sprinkled across different locations.

The Microsoft Teams ad in the Get Help application is just the latest in a long list of changes designed to get Windows 11 users to subscribe to Microsoft services. Some of these have not made it beyond the development stage, while others are used in stable versions of Windows 11.

Only recently, Microsoft updated the official Weather app to show the MSN news feed and ads, but it decided to remove the feed and most ads again.

The new Home page of the Settings app may show ads for Microsoft 365 in the future, and the profile icon of the Start Menu may show an error bade and promotions for OneDrive.

The trend will continue for the foreseeable future, as it appears to be lucrative enough for Microsoft to do so. Windows 11 users can't really do much about it. While it is possible to disable certain ad-related settings, Microsoft has developed a habit of ignoring existing preferences sometimes.

Now You: what is your take on this trend? Will it ever reverse?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 11's Get Help support app is showing ads as well now appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 2, 2023
  2. Pavan_N Win User

NEWLY added apps are not showing on Start App list

Hi Tamal,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

1. Is Cortana able to search the apps installed?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps.

• Type Start Settings in Search and hit
      Enter.
    • Turn on Show recently added apps in jump list of Start of Taskbar.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Jun 2, 2023
  3. surfer10k Win User
    New W10 install not showing "Newly added apps".

Just installed fresh W10 home.

Just after install ne applications were being shown in the Start menu, recently added apps section. Then it stopped and that area is now blank.

It does show "most used apps" and I can switch that on and off using "personalization" menu.

I switched all options off in Personalization menu/Start but that did not help.

Now "Occasional show suggestions in start", "show most used apps", "show recently added apps" and show recenty opened items in jump list.." are all on.

thx for any help

surfer10k, Jun 2, 2023
  4. Naki Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile Windows 11's Get Help support app is showing ads as well now :)

Naki, Jun 2, 2023
Thema:

1. Windows 11's Get Help support app is showing ads as well now - Similar Threads - 11's Help support

2. Get Help App Window 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get Help App Window 11 Pro: I followed a thread that uninstalled Get Help which didn't seem to be working from my Windows 11 Pro 23H2 believing that I could download a 'clean' copy from MS Store. However it is no longer in Store. How can I reinstall it?...
  3. Get Help App Window 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get Help App Window 11 Pro: I followed a thread that uninstalled Get Help which didn't seem to be working from my Windows 11 Pro 23H2 believing that I could download a 'clean' copy from MS Store. However it is no longer in Store. How can I reinstall it?...
  4. Windows 11's Photos app gets support for WebP

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11's Photos app gets support for WebP: Microsoft started the rollout of an updated version of its Photos app for Windows 11 to Windows Insiders earlier this month. The rollout is still ongoing, but anyone interested may download the updated version of Windows 11's Photos app manually to take it for a test drive....
  5. Microsoft is adding support for iCloud Photos in Windows 11's Photos app; Apple TV and...

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is adding support for iCloud Photos in Windows 11's Photos app; Apple TV and...: Windows 11's Photos app is gaining support for iCloud Photos in the Dev Channel. The announcement was made at Microsoft's Surface event, when the Redmond company introduced its new lineup of devices. [ATTACH] Image courtesy: Microsoft iCloud Photos in Windows 11's Photos...
  6. Support for Windows 11 is now available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Support for Windows 11 is now available: Windows 11 is the next evolution of Windows; it is the most significant update to the Windows operating system since Windows 10. It offers many innovations focused on enhancing end-user productivity in a fresh experience that is flexible and fluid. Windows 11 is designed to...
  7. Support for Windows 11 is now available

Support for Windows 11 is now available: Windows 11 is the next evolution of Windows; it is the most significant update to the Windows operating system since Windows 10. It offers many innovations focused on enhancing end-user productivity in a fresh experience that is flexible and fluid. Windows 11 is designed to...
  8. Help getting support from Help app - the issue prevents being able to get support!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Help getting support from Help app - the issue prevents being able to get support!: Hello, I am trying to get support for an issue where Windows Security keeps asking for my pin. I have a set-up that is on a developer build and I cannot reset or reinstall Windows. It's not an option. But in order to get support from the Help app, I have to go through...
  9. Get Help App - Support Chat Scam?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Get Help App - Support Chat Scam?: LIVE CHAT SCAM: Hello I don't use Reddit that much but I don't know where to turn. Has anyone else been having weird occurrences with Microsoft Live Chat support? I can't tell if it's 100% a scam. The first time I tried was through the Get Help app on the laptop itself. It...
  10. Mail App shows Get Office 365 ad

Mail App shows Get Office 365 ad: Has anyone else seen the Get Office 365 (lower left bottom below folders) ad in Windows Mail app version 17.9126.21055.0? Microsoft is leaving no stone un-turned. 106608