Windows 10: Windows 11's Notepad is getting a character count on the status bar

Discus and support Windows 11's Notepad is getting a character count on the status bar in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 11's Notepad is getting a couple of improvements. This includes a character count on the status bar, and a quick way to access it from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Dec 8, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 11's Notepad is getting a character count on the status bar

Windows 11's Notepad is getting a couple of improvements. This includes a character count on the status bar, and a quick way to access it from Explorer.

The plain text editor in Windows has been around for nearly 40 years, but Microsoft barely added any features to it until a few years ago. The Redmond company began improving Notepad drastically over the past couple of years, by adding features like dark mode, multi-level undo and redo and a new interface in 2021. These were followed by some more user-requested features such as tabs in Notepad, and auto-save for documents over the past year.

Character Count in Notepad

And now the built-in text editor in Windows 11 is gaining another feature. Notepad is getting a Character Count on the status bar. Better late than never, I suppose. The feature should not to be confused with Word Count, Character Count is used as a reference to the length of a document, to be precise, it shows you the total number of characters that you have typed. It includes alphabets, numbers, symbols, spaces, punctuation, etc. Word Count, on the other hand, only counts the total number of words in a document, and some may argue it is more useful than Character Count.

Windows 11's Notepad is getting a character count on the status bar Windows-11-notepad-character-count.jpg

Image Courtesy: Microsoft.

According to the announcement by Microsoft, Character Count in Notepad works in 2 ways. By default, the text editor will show the Character Count of the document on the status bar at the bottom of the window. But, if you select some text in the document, Notepad will show the Character Count for the selected text, and the document's total count separately. While this is not exactly a great feature, it may be useful to some people who prefer to use the text editor for work and school.

New Shortcut to open text documents with Notepad

The File Explorer in Windows 11 now has a new way to edit text documents quickly with Notepad. Right-click on a TXT file, and you will see an option that says "Edit with Notepad." This is a faster method than choosing the Open With menu, and then selecting Notepad. Interestingly, the new context menu option works with multiple files. This can come in handy when you want to batch open several documents in Notepad with a single-click.

Windows 11's Notepad is getting a character count on the status bar Windows-11-edit-in-notepad-file-explorer.jpg

Image via Microsoft

The new improvements are available in Notepad version 11.2311.29.0, which is available for Dev Channel and Canary Channel users in the Windows Insider Preview Program.

Microsoft clearly seems to be prepping Notepad as the successor to replace WordPad, which, as the company previously confirmed, will be retired in a future Windows update. While the features that the text editor has added over the past couple of years are impressive, Notepad is still a long way behind third-party apps such as NotePad++, or a full office suite such as LibreOffice, both of which are completely free to use. Then there are alternatives like Office Online, Google Docs which one might use for free, but these don't really count as text editors, and of course they are not offline programs.

Do you use Notepad?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 11's Notepad is getting a character count on the status bar appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Dec 8, 2023
  2. DaveM121 Win User

how do I get a character count using either Notepad or Wordpad?

Hi Jerry,

Sorry, but neither Notepad or Wordpad supports character/word count they are too basic for that

Click the link below to download Notepad++

That is a tine free application that is like Notepad on steroids with a lot more functionality

If you double click around 'Length' in status bar you will get a character count, word count . . . etc.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.8.html

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Windows 11's Notepad is getting a character count on the status bar baa9e33c-0e89-4a00-b412-e20776398877?upload=true.png

DaveM121, Dec 8, 2023
  3. how do I get a character count using either Notepad or Wordpad?

how do I get a character count using either Notepad or Wordpad?

JerryLambe, Dec 8, 2023
  4. Windows 11's Notepad is getting a character count on the status bar

how to count words in notepad

Hi there Sukanyasinha! Unfortunately there is no word count in notepad, however if you are running Notepad++ you can see the word count by double-clicking on Status Bar (shortcut to View → Summary)

View → Summary

TextFX Tools → Word Count

I hope I could be of assistance Windows 11's Notepad is getting a character count on the status bar :)

SonGoku'sSon, Dec 8, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11's Notepad is getting a character count on the status bar

1. Windows 11's Notepad is getting a character count on the status bar - Similar Threads - 11's Notepad getting

2. how enable Notepad character count in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how enable Notepad character count in windows 11?: HiI am using a window 11 and my notepad version is 11.2311.35.0 but it only shows the line and column. Does anyone know how should I enable the character counter?...
  3. how enable Notepad character count in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how enable Notepad character count in windows 11?: HiI am using a window 11 and my notepad version is 11.2311.35.0 but it only shows the line and column. Does anyone know how should I enable the character counter?...
  4. Windows 11's Notepad is getting an auto save feature

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11's Notepad is getting an auto save feature: Microsoft is adding a new feature to Windows 11's Notepad. The popular text editor is getting an option to auto save documents. Notepad had been stagnating for many years, with barely any improvements added to it until the app was moved to the Microsoft Store in 2019. The...
  5. Increasing The Character count of registry paths.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Increasing The Character count of registry paths.: Hi there everyone, an hour ago I installed the AIG traffic liveries manager to enhance my Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 experience, and when I opened the application, I got the message below...I have not clicked anything since the popup window came up as after searching...
  6. Increasing The Character count of registry paths.

Increasing The Character count of registry paths.: Hi there everyone, an hour ago I installed the AIG traffic liveries manager to enhance my Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 experience, and when I opened the application, I got the message below...I have not clicked anything since the popup window came up as after searching...
  7. Chinese characters in Notepad can't be shown correctly in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chinese characters in Notepad can't be shown correctly in Windows 11: I'v changed "Language for non-Unicode programs" to Chinese https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chinese-characters-in-notepad-cant-be-shown/09b87329-0331-4560-ac47-8e4abfd02894
  8. how do I get a character count using either Notepad or Wordpad?

how do I get a character count using either Notepad or Wordpad?: how do I get a character count using either Notepad or Wordpad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_cal/how-do-i-get-a-character-count-using-either/17904635-498c-4b70-a797-6b8dd16dbfad
  9. CE character encoding in Notepad

CE character encoding in Notepad: I hate Windows feature that enforces installing localized software - e.g. I live in Poland so if I set my location as "Poland" many apps will be installed with Polish interface, which I don't want to. Therefore I've installed my OS in en-US version and left US as my...
  10. Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad: Have you tried wordpad? Yes he did (HERE)