Windows 10: Windows 11's Print-key may soon have a different function

Discus and support Windows 11's Print-key may soon have a different function in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When you press the Print-key on Windows 11, Windows copies a screenshot of the desktop to the operating system's desktop. This option has been the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 11, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 11's Print-key may soon have a different function

When you press the Print-key on Windows 11, Windows copies a screenshot of the desktop to the operating system's desktop. This option has been the default for a long time on Windows, but it may soon come to an end.

Microsoft introduced a change in a recent Windows 11 Insider build that is changing the mapping of the Print-key. Activation of the key will then launch the Snipping Tool of the operating system, and no longer create a screenshot of the desktop and copy it to the Clipboard. The tool is ready and prompts users to draw a rectangle on the screen to capture the screenshot.

Microsoft announced the change when it released Windows 11 build 22624.1546 to the public. There, Microsoft notes that pressing the Print screen key will open the Snipping Tool by default now on the operating system.

The company adds, that users may restore the previous mapping and that it won't make the change if users have modified the setting themselves. This should include any screenshot tool, like PicPick, that users have installed that has taken over the mapping of the Print-key on the device.

Here is Microsoft's entire message regarding the change: "Pressing the print screen key will now open Snipping Tool by default. This setting can be turned off via Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard. If you have previously modified this setting yourself, your preference will be preserved."

The Snipping Tool is the default screen capturing tool on Windows 11 devices. It supports multiple screen capturing modes, including full-screen and regional screenshots, and supports screen recording functionality as well as of recently.

Any screenshot captured with the Snipping Tool is copied to the Clipboard automatically by default. Windows 11 users may turn off the functionality.

All in all, it may still add another step to the screenshot taking process for some users. There is, however, an option to disable the change in the Settings.

How to restore the previous functionality

Windows 11's Print-key may soon have a different function print-key-snipping-tool.png

Windows 11 users may restore the original functionality in the following way:

1. Open Start and select the Settings app.
    2. Navigate to Accessibility > Keyboard.
    3. Toggle "Use the Print screen key to open Snipping Tool" to Off.

The change takes effect immediately.

Now You: do you use the Print-key?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 11's Print-key may soon have a different function appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 11, 2023

2. alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Apr 11, 2023
  3. Printing web pages in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for the update and apologies for late response.

• Are you able to print via Internet Explorer 11?
    • What kind of contents and extensions do you want to print?
    I suggest you to perform the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps:

Method 1: I suggest you to follow the steps below to print documents in the Windows 10 Edge browser and check if it helps:

• Once the document is open in Edge, press
      Ctrl+P or More actions button at the top last end of the browser.

• Click Print as PDF button.

• Check if the document prints as expected.
    If the above steps did not work, try the next methods.

Method 2: Set your printer as default.

• Press Windows key and type
      Control Panel

• Click on view by and select large icons.

• Open Devices and printers.

• Right click on your printer and select set a default printer.
    Check if it helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Niranjan Manjhi, Apr 11, 2023
  4. dalchina Win User

Somewhere along the way I lost my context menu print function

Hi, have you ever used any tool such as Shellexview (free) to disable context menu entries?

Try downloading and installing and running that and see if you see a list of entries listed as disabled.

Print is a default Windows item, so if lost suggests some sort of corruption may have occurred.

As a matter of course, try running
    chkdsk c: /scan
    and then if ok
    SFC /SCANNOW
    - both from an admin command or powershell prompt and post the result.

What is your Windows build?
    Windows key + R, winver

dalchina, Apr 11, 2023
Thema:

1. Windows 11's Print-key may soon have a different function - Similar Threads - 11's Print key

2. Clock and date on Windows 11's taskbar somehow have a different font.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clock and date on Windows 11's taskbar somehow have a different font.: I know this is just a small detail or bug and won't be that noticeable by most people, I do really like the new Segoe UI Variable that spread throughout Windows 11. However, I noticed that the clock and date on the taskbar don't follow the new font and keep with the Calibri ?...
  3. Clock and date on Windows 11's taskbar somehow have a different font.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clock and date on Windows 11's taskbar somehow have a different font.: I know this is just a small detail or bug and won't be that noticeable by most people, I do really like the new Segoe UI Variable that spread throughout Windows 11. However, I noticed that the clock and date on the taskbar don't follow the new font and keep with the Calibri ?...
  4. Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 may soon restore apps during setup: One of the features that Microsoft's Windows operating system was lacking up until now was an option to restore installed apps on devices during setup. Google's Android operating system, for instance, supports the functionality, so that all apps from Google Play may be...
  5. Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Search may soon open on hover: Windows 11 users may soon use the built-in Search of the operating system by just hovering over the search field on the taskbar. The change landed in the latest Windows 11 Dev build and is hidden by default in that build. Earnings from sales of the Windows operating system...
  6. You may soon use Tabs in Notepad for Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    You may soon use Tabs in Notepad for Windows 11: Microsoft seems to be working on bringing support for tabs to the default Windows plain text editor Notepad. A screenshot of an internal version of Notepad was posted to Twitter by a Microsoft Senior Product Manager. The tweet has been deleted in the meantime, but the Web...
  7. The Windows 11 Task Manager may soon have a search feature

in Windows 10 News
    The Windows 11 Task Manager may soon have a search feature: Microsoft is testing a new search feature in the Windows Task Manager that could become available to all users of the Windows operating system in the future. The feature, which third-party task managers such as MiTec Task Manager Deluxe supported for a long time, improves the...
  8. Both alt keys and the windows key have swapped their function

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Both alt keys and the windows key have swapped their function: I'm using a 75% Epomaker keyboard and I use the US English layout. A couple of hours ago my windows key just didn't work but instead the alt keys brought up the windows menu and vice versa. I have tried pretty much all fixes I could find reinstall drivers, Fn+A to toggle...
  9. Arrow keys functioning differently after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Arrow keys functioning differently after update: I updated Windows 10 on my Lenovo laptop and now my arrow keys are acting differently. Before I could use them to scroll normally, and I would press Fn and the arrow keys in order to change brightness or the volume level. Now when I press the arrow keys up and down or left...
  10. Windows 10’s Your Phone app may soon get screen mirroring feature

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s Your Phone app may soon get screen mirroring feature: Microsoft appears to be internally testing a big update for the Your Phone app on Windows 10, as the software maker continues to work on bringing phones and PCs closer. Your Phone app was launched last year with Windows 10 October 2018 Update and it allows users with Android...