Windows 10: Windows 1709 update to higher fails

Discus and support Windows 1709 update to higher fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Im trying to get my wife’s laptop updated to the newest version of Windows and no matter what i’ve tried it gets about 75% completed and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DanielOsberg, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Windows 1709 update to higher fails

Hello, Im trying to get my wife’s laptop updated to the newest version of Windows and no matter what i’ve tried it gets about 75% completed and fails.

Things I’ve tried:

Removing her works domain and working as a local administrator

Normal updater to version 1903 - fails

Windows update assistant to 1909 - fails

Windows update catalog manual install - fails

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth - gets to 100% and stays this way ran it for 8 hours

sfc /scan now - Windows Resource Protection will not start this service.

run sfc /scan now in safe mode same result

use powershell to remove and add windows store - no changes

ran chkdsk - this works takes 6 hours.

Any ideas besides a full wipe?

Thanks much.

:)

DanielOsberg, Apr 12, 2020
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Apr 12, 2020
  3. chispy Win User
    Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Apr 12, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 1709 update to higher fails

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows 1709 update to higher fails

1. Windows 1709 update to higher fails - Similar Threads - 1709 update higher

2. Windows update failing after 1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update failing after 1709: Hi I have a rather aged samsung RF510 which has been updated to Windows 10 when that became available. However, since the updates of 1709 no other release update has succeeded in being installed. !709 updates sometimes work. Any that go through the routine of downloading...
  3. Windows update to build 1903 or higher fails at 28%

Windows update to build 1903 or higher fails at 28%: So, I run Windows 10 build 1607 and have decided to upgrade. Whether i try upgrading through the assistant, or Windows Update, they both fail at 28%. My computer reboots and says that changes are being reverted. Also, i tried updating Windows through the installation image,...
  4. Windows update 1709 to 1909 fails to install

Windows update 1709 to 1909 fails to install: Hello, A friend of mine wants to play minecraft windows 10 edition, but this is not possible because his windows version does not match the system requirements mentioned on the store page. No problem, just update windows, everything fine. Except, we couldn't update...
  5. 1703 upgrade to 1709 and higher without re-imaging

1703 upgrade to 1709 and higher without re-imaging: We have several computers that we cannot re-image due to software that was provided with the original image on 1703 and installable copies of the software were not provided. We need to upgrade 25 computers and are not authorized to re-image them unless they fail....
  6. Update failed from 1709 to 1903

Update failed from 1709 to 1903: Hi everyone, I hope you can really help me. I formatted the PC with an old build because on USB I only had this ready to use, but Windows doesn't want to update itself. I have tried both the update tool and the windows update. Quick installation, restart, blue screen,...
  7. Update from 1709 to 1803 failed

Update from 1709 to 1803 failed: Hello, For the past year I haven't been able to update my laptop (Asus ROG strix gl502vm) to the next version of windows. I am able to download the update but as soon as my pc restarts to install the updates it runs into a problem: Stopcode Memory Management. Then the pc...
  8. Update 1709 failed when applying updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update 1709 failed when applying updates: So, I got 1709 update via Windows Update. Download and install went through. After I got notification to restart to apply 1709 update, I restart, and applying update message shown, until 30%. Then it restarts twice, then message "Reverting to previous version" shown. After...
  9. Windows 10 update 1709 Fails at 33%

Windows 10 update 1709 Fails at 33%: so id just like to point out this must be the 9th time now that a creator update has tried to install but always failed at the 32% mark. in this cause my previous thread > 1703 1703 for me could never install. after numerous attempts from sfc, dism, disabling fast and...
  10. windows update to 1709 failed and slowed to a crawl

windows update to 1709 failed and slowed to a crawl: microsoft updated my desktop from 1703 to 1709 and it failed. the computer is down to a crawl. with the help of a tech i did a reset and it is even slower, to being disabled. can not download anything. where do i start? thank you 99751