Windows 10: Windows 1809 Update - Like Being Between a Rock and a Hard Spot

Discus and support Windows 1809 Update - Like Being Between a Rock and a Hard Spot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When Windows 1809 came out and was available for download I grabbed it using a manual update from Microsoft, and completed the update. That was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TerryMacDonald1, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Windows 1809 Update - Like Being Between a Rock and a Hard Spot

When Windows 1809 came out and was available for download I grabbed it using a manual update from Microsoft, and completed the update. That was around Oct 10, 2018. I did the manual update because I was going to be travelling and had very limited download options for all of October.

A little later in October MS announced it was pausing the update to fix various bugs associated with the 1809 release. It is now (Nov 9) well past the 10 day roll back period, and I have three of my computers (1 desk top and 2 laptops) with the buggy 1809 Windows Update installed.

Can MS personnel or anyone advise what option or options, short of a full reinstall, I might have once Windows 1809.a, or whatever fixes might be released, to address the issues that were found with the initial 1809 release are ?

Thanks very much in advance,

Terry

P.S. Yes, I do have image backups but they were done in mid Sept and a lot of other program and file changes have happened during October and November, so doing a restore as of mid Sept seems rather impractical.

t

:)

TerryMacDonald1, Nov 9, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows 1809 Update - Like Being Between a Rock and a Hard Spot :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Would like to express my gratitude Windows 1809 Update - Like Being Between a Rock and a Hard Spot :)

Yeah it is, that's why I take shots of my wud list so I can remove what I don't want before installing

eidairaman1, Nov 9, 2018
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 1809 Update - Like Being Between a Rock and a Hard Spot

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

Windows 1809 Update - Like Being Between a Rock and a Hard Spot

1. Windows 1809 Update - Like Being Between a Rock and a Hard Spot - Similar Threads - 1809 Update Being

2. Windows Copilot is still dumb like a rock

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Copilot is still dumb like a rock: Microsoft launched Windows Copilot with some fanfare alongside the Windows 11 2023 Update. Microsoft promised that the baked-in artificial intelligence would assist Windows users "in work, creation and play". Copilot is "designed to accelerate your tasks, reduce friction and...
  3. windows update and hot spot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows update and hot spot: Why won't my lap top pick up my hot spot but will pick up other hot spots and wifis? Why can't I get windows toupdate? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-and-hot-spot/cb461b37-7e78-42c9-bded-df89713bff50
  4. windows update and hot spot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update and hot spot: Why won't my lap top pick up my hot spot but will pick up other hot spots and wifis? Why can't I get windows toupdate? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-and-hot-spot/cb461b37-7e78-42c9-bded-df89713bff50
  5. Mouse moves to a spot on the screen and moves around crazy like

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse moves to a spot on the screen and moves around crazy like: So this morning my mouse keeps moving to a place on the screen and then moves around all crazy like and then it shows a little pond]]] like graphic it just did it again just now and the ]]] things appeared when I was typing just now. I use Norton security. I suppose I should...
  6. Xbox 360 rock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Xbox 360 rock: My XBOX rock candy controller isn't working. It just turns on for 1/5 of a second then turns off. I've tried to update all the drivers, but nothing works. I'm using it for PC. Do you people have any ideas?...
  7. windows spot light

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows spot light: When I boot up my lap top I changed the settings so I would not need to use my password every time I use the thing.Now that I finally finally got windows spot light to work right half the time .iT SAYS LIKE WHAT YOU SEE I CHECK YES AND THEN I NEED MY PASSWORD TO SIGN INTO...
  8. windows spot light

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows spot light: I went to run box typed in netplwiz and turned off sign in with password and it works.Now when windows spot light comes on start screen and ask if I like what I see.After I answer whatever.I need to sign in with my password to get back to desk top.The neyplwiz thing does not...
  9. ROCK MOBILE DRIVE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ROCK MOBILE DRIVE: How can I get the drivers for a "ROCK Mobile Drive" in order to be installed on an "Acer" computer running Windows 10? Thank you very much in advance por your help. Carlos Silva Guzman 323-919-4644 *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  10. Microsot Edge Rocks

in Browsers and Email
    Microsot Edge Rocks: Good to see IE going away with all the security and compatibility issues over the last decade. Microsoft Edge ROCKS! 7509