Windows 10: Windows 19 - File explorer hangs when preview on only for Office file types

Discus and support Windows 19 - File explorer hangs when preview on only for Office file types in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; New Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with Windows 10 - Explorer hangs when you click an office file (left or right mouse button) only when preview is on -and this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BasilH, Jan 30, 2019.

1. BasilH Win User

Windows 19 - File explorer hangs when preview on only for Office file types

New Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with Windows 10 - Explorer hangs when you click an office file (left or right mouse button) only when preview is on -and this is only on office files - pdf and others work fine - surely Microsoft can get info to resolve this - I see many people with the same issue and crazy responses on how to resolve.

:)

BasilH, Jan 30, 2019
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Jan 30, 2019
  3. File Explorer "No preview available"

In Windows 10 File Explorer I cannot preview files. For office and .pdf's I get "No preview available."

This started a couple of months ago, perhaps after a Windows 10 update.

I have tried the command prompts, syncing Office 365 with my 64-bit OS, and various other suggestions, with no luck.

The most recent post I was able to find about this was in 2017.

Any new suggestions?

Thank you.

Donald Gardner, Jan 30, 2019
  4. Windows 19 - File explorer hangs when preview on only for Office file types

Preview Pane in Explorer No Longer Working with Excel Files

System Parameters:

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1803 OS Build 17134.345 64 bit

Excel for Office 365 MOS (16.0.1129_20045) 32 bit

Issue:

Windows/Excel recently updated. Presumably, this was done to "fix" a problem (which reminds me of when I "fixed" my pet).

Now, when I look at a list of files in Windows Explorer, the "Preview" pane will no longer preview excel files; and if I leave the "Preview" pane open, the computer hangs.

Need help with making the preview function of explorer work again with excel files. Any takers?

user wishing her company would use linux, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

Windows 19 - File explorer hangs when preview on only for Office file types

1. Windows 19 - File explorer hangs when preview on only for Office file types - Similar Threads - File explorer hangs

2. File Explore hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explore hangs: Hi, since today, my File Explorer hangs whenever I select Download folder. The other folders are fine. My Windows 11 update is latest. I need to end the task in Task Manager. How might I resolve this probem?...
  3. [SOLVED] No preview only of Excel files in Explorer, Office 201x

in Microsoft Office and 365
    [SOLVED] No preview only of Excel files in Explorer, Office 201x: Sorry for a somewhat long post, but it does tell a story. Like many I had this problem that suddenly since several months my Excel spreadsheets would suddenly not show in Explorer preview and instead I received in the preview an error message "this file can't be shown in...
  4. Windows File Explorer hangs when working with .ogg files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer hangs when working with .ogg files: Hey guys; I am at my wit's end tonight after spending nearly the entire day troubleshooting this issue. First, I am running Windows 10 Pro ver 2004 The problem is that when I open a folder containing .ogg music files, the folder will open, and immediately all of the files...
  5. File Explorer hangs when trying to interract with Microsoft Office documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer hangs when trying to interract with Microsoft Office documents: I have had this problem before, but it went away on its own and now it has reappeared again. Any excel or word document in my folders cannot be interacted with. I cannot even delete them, when I press on them with right click, try to move them anywhere or try to open them...
  6. Windows Explorer hangs when accessing Office files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Explorer hangs when accessing Office files: Hi, I have a strange issue with Windows Explorer. If I try to access an Office file only tried Word and Excel files then Explorer hangs and requires a restart via Task Manager. I have tried a number of other file types and they are OK. A reboot of the PC did not stop the...
  7. File Explorer HANGING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer HANGING: Everytime I try to OPEN a file in FILE EXPLORER, it just HANGS, NOT RESPONDING.... Doesn't matter what kind of file whether PPT, TXT, doesn't matter... I have to END the TASK and it closes out entire FILE EXPLORER window. ANY Ideas? Was it any WINDOWS update? DID not...
  8. Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types: What file types Windows Explorer is capable of showing thumbnail previews of in the latest Windows 10 versions? Today mine is 1809 (17763.195). I mean all kinds of files: documents, images, videos, etc.—without the need of third-party programs, plug-ins, extensions, etc....
  9. Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files: I am using a Surface Tablet 6 with windows 10. When I try to open a Word, Excel, Powerpoint by double clicking on the file, Windows Explorer just hangs with the spinning wheel. I can open the files if i do it from the application. The files have been tested from onedrive...
  10. Office files cannot be previewed in Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Office files cannot be previewed in Explorer Windows 10: Preview only works for excel, pdf, and jpg (and other image) files. Word, Powerpoint files show "This file cannot be previewed" (Note that excel files do work) The issue has lasted for months. Apparently, it started in one of the automatic updates (which unfortunately have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 fileexplorer preview hangs