Windows 10: Windows 1909 fresh install. Oh MY! Long story and a question

Discus and support Windows 1909 fresh install. Oh MY! Long story and a question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The journey. I hit the power button to turn on my old ASUS G73SW laptop the other day and all that happened was the keyboard lights came on then shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jonnied12, Feb 4, 2020.

1. jonnied12 Win User

Windows 1909 fresh install. Oh MY! Long story and a question

The journey.
    I hit the power button to turn on my old ASUS G73SW laptop the other day and all that happened was the keyboard lights came on then shut down.
    I tried several more times but nothing. No BIOS boot screen, nothing.
    I inserted my rescue disk but could not even boot to it because the BIOS would not even post.
    Turned out that my Crucial 480GB SSD died.

I thought no problem, I have spare drives and recent Macrium backups.
    Installed an Intel 530 240GB drive and inserted my restore flash drive and booted up.
    Restored my last backup to the Intel drive with Macrium by using the drag and drop partitions and re-sizing to fit the smaller drive.
    That didn't work. the computer would not boot. Just got to the windows logo with spinning dots.
    I tried the Macrium boot repair. That made it worse. The computer just booted to a black screen and said I had a corrupt file. I'll leave out the details here.

I thought OK, I installed a 2TB spinner and did the restore again letting Macrium do its thing.
    No dice, same results as before. This drive was only used for backups. It never had an operating system installed.

I used fdisk and cleaned the drive
    I thought oh well, I'll just Fresh install windows 10.
    HA! Got me. Windows would not install!!!
    It would get to the next to last step and say "cannot install windows corrupted file.....

Ok, I installed the Intel drive and had the same results on the fresh install as above. Nada!
    Hours and hours of searching finally came across this info:
    "Run Parted Magic which is on the drive. It has a terminal window and the command he used was
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1"
    Since I had Parted Magic I decided to just "Secure Erase" the drive.
    That fixed my problem, Windows installed as intended.

I did the "Secure Erase" on the 2TB spinner 2 1/2 Hrs.) and windows installed on it as well

Can anyone explain why the disk had to be "Secure Erased" to get windows to install?
    I'm just going to chock up the bad Macrium restore to hardware differences.

:)

jonnied12, Feb 4, 2020

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Feb 4, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Feb 4, 2020
  4. badrobot Win User

Windows 10 install, its a long story

Exactly what I suggested to avoid complicated steps which does not guarantee results. Clean install will solve his problem in one simple step.

badrobot, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 1909 fresh install. Oh MY! Long story and a question - Similar Threads - 1909 fresh install

2. Fresh Windows Install regarding question.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Windows Install regarding question.: In my laptop win11 is already install in HDD, I will install one SSD and use as Dual Storage Configuration. In that SSD I want to fresh install Win11, in this process will I loose my data in HDD, if I do not remove the HDD from Laptop during fresh Windows install?...
  3. Fresh install with 1909 only?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fresh install with 1909 only?: Hi everyone; Did a fresh install of Windows 10 last night to attempt to fix some power on from sleep issues that I am having on my notebook. I like to use the Media Creation tool to create a bootable USB for the install, so I can format the drive using command prompt etc....
  4. Freshly installed Windows 1909 freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freshly installed Windows 1909 freezes: I’ve just installed Windows 10, 1909 using the USB flash drive. But most often my PC is not booting in the login screen because it freezes at the start. So it is impossible even unlock my computer. If it manages to get to the login screen, it freezes. Sometimes I am able to...
  5. Windows 10 Fresh Install Question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Fresh Install Question: I'm planning on rebuilding my PC with some new components. I want to do a fresh install of Win 10 on a new NVMe M.2 SSD. My current Win 10 Home is derived from a free upgrade from Win 7 Home. I understand that there's a difference between a new Win 10 Home product key and...
  6. Ok. This my story/question. Windows 10

Ok. This my story/question. Windows 10: My Asus laptop has recently lost its display screen and although the laptop is working perfectly, I cannot see anything. This laptop is fully suscribed and has windows 10 Home as its OS. I have now bought a second laptop, but this does not have any image on it. C:/drive...
  7. Windows Activation...long story

Windows Activation...long story: So, I bought a used computer, was refurbed by a guy who bought it used from a company that went out of business. It came with Windows 10 Enterprise. All good for a 5 months or so but now my license is going ot expire on the 20th of December. So I have been doing some...
  8. Fresh installation question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh installation question: I'm planning my first install of 10 onto a new SSD. I have win7 home registered and my account key on hand. From the reading I've done it seems possible to bypass the "upgrade" step but I'm still a bit confused by some of the jargon etc. Basically what is the simplest...
  9. Fresh Install Questions

Fresh Install Questions: Hey there, so recently I built my first gaming PC. I was having issues with it not displaying anything so I took it to a PC repair shop. The guy fixed it, and also installed Windows 10 as well as all the drivers. This was great, however, I now have a irrational fear that the...
  10. Windows 10 install, its a long story

Windows 10 install, its a long story: Hi there, newby to the forums but I hope y'all can help. Strap on in. Desktop PC, 2 physical SATA hard drives. Running Windows XP on physical drive "1" Installed Windows 7 and subsequently upgraded to Windows 10 on physical drive "2" After a few weeks of uploading...