Windows 10: Windows 1909. Network Discovery setting keeps resetting.

Discus and support Windows 1909. Network Discovery setting keeps resetting. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was able to use Network Discovery feature on the same laptopn I am talking about now for a long time: I was sharing files within my home Wifi, with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Artem, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Artem Win User

Windows 1909. Network Discovery setting keeps resetting.

I was able to use Network Discovery feature on the same laptopn I am talking about now for a long time: I was sharing files within my home Wifi, with other windows devices. It was all good. But recently, when I moved to a new apt and therefore connected to other wifi router, exactly this laptop started to have issues with turning on the Network Discovery feature. Other windows devices 'see' each other in Network, and able to see each other's files. But this one - no.

I did my research already, and tried to launch manually and set launch type to "Automatic" for following services:

• DNS Client
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • Function Discovery Provider host
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host

It didn't help. What is happening can be seen on a short video a recorded from my screen 60 sec, no sound. My system is in Russian, but I think whoever is able to help me will understand what are those options I am trying to switch on.

Any suggestions on how to fix it are very welcome!

I personally think this one of the latest windows updates caused this. Becuase recently I have notices 'strange' behaviour of Windows Firewall - it started to request access for 'old' apps that I use everyday, like Edge browser, for example.

:)

Artem, Jun 12, 2020

2. Cannot keep Network Discovery Enabled.

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I would suggest that you change the settings in the Firewall to allow Network discovery so that the Firewall stays On while allowing the Network discovery to be enabled.

Follow the steps.

a . Open Control panel.

b. Small icons from the drop down.

c. Click on Windows Firewall.

d. Click on Allow programs or feature through Firewall.

e. Scroll the list and check Network Discovery.

If you need additional assistance then let us know.

Ruth Buruga, Jun 13, 2020
  3. updates messed up my network discovery and now my other network computers and hp printer not discovered

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you and We apologies for delay in responding.

This issue might occur due to incorrect settings. I would suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

For each of the machines experiencing this behavior, will you please perform the following:

Step 1: Ensure Network Discovery is enabled.

• Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings
    • For each Network Category (Public, Private, Domain) you wish to have the feature enabled, click the arrow to the right of the category to expand it, and select “Turn on network discovery” & check “Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices”
    Step 2: Ensure that Network Discovery is allowed inbound in the Windows Firewall (in addition to any other firewall in use).

• [Windows Key + R] > Firewall.cpl
    • Click “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” in the left pane.
    • In the Allowed apps and features scroll box, find “Network Discovery”.
    • Make sure it is checked for all of the Network categories that you have enabled.
    Step 3: Ensure the necessary services are started.

• [Windows Key + R] > Services.msc
    • Base Filtering Engine(BFE)
    • Computer Browser(Browser)
    • DHCP Client(DHCP)
    • DNS Client(DNSCache)
    • Network Connection (NetMan)
    • Network Location Awareness(NLASvc)
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)(RPCSS)
    • Server(LANManServer)
    • SSDP Discovery (SSDPSrv)
    • TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (LMHosts)
    • Workstation(LANManWorkstation)

Step 4: I would suggest you to run Home Group troubleshooter and see if that helps.
    • Click Start and type troubleshooting in the search box.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Run HomeGroup troubleshooter.
    Let us know the update after you try the above steps.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jun 13, 2020
  4. Windows 1909. Network Discovery setting keeps resetting.

Cannot keep Network Discovery Enabled.

Hi,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have turning on Network Discovery on private network.

To turn on network discovery

1. Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, click Change advanced sharing settings.

2. Click the chevron to expand the current network profile.

3. Click Turn on network discovery, and then click Save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Make sure that the following services are enabled on the computer.

a) Type "services.msc" in the search and click on services. Check if these services are enabled:

- TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service

- DNS Client

- Function Discovery Resource Publication

- SSDP Discovery

- UPnP Device Host

To start the service and set it to automatic, follow these steps:

a) Right-click each of the services listed above and click on Properties.

b) Click the General tab, and then, next to Startup type, select Automatic.

c) Click Apply, and then click Start.

Please reply with the results, we are happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

Windows 1909. Network Discovery setting keeps resetting.

1. Windows 1909. Network Discovery setting keeps resetting. - Similar Threads - 1909 Network Discovery

2. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  3. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  4. Network Discovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Discovery: I have a server running windows server 2008 r2 and the network discovery is on. On why windows 10 pc I don't see it. I can see my windows 10 machine on the server-side but not the other way. Any solutions, or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. submitted by...
  5. Network Discovery

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Network Discovery: Hi I wanted to know more about network discovery and can someone view files when turned on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-discovery/fe481712-64da-43d8-94af-2b05f88c1d13
  6. Network Sharing and discovery issue windows 10 home 1909

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Sharing and discovery issue windows 10 home 1909: I cannot turn on network sharing. The setting does not save when i tune it on, it disables on its own. I have done troubleshooting listed from this forum page. someone please advice...
  7. network discovery

network discovery: I am trying to add a printer connected to another PC, both win10Pro although I can see the other pc when I try to connect the printer get a message saying contact network admin for permissions. Pc #2 has been shared, same with printer, files and sharing activated, I read...
  8. Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets

Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets: Hello. I got a laptop a week ago with Windows 10. This morning when I tried to copy a document from the main PC (Windows 7) via WiFi, an error appeared "Network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Please turn on network discovery in Network...
  9. Network Discovery.

Network Discovery.: Network Discovery. I added a USB memory stick to my router (as suggested by Computer Active) I tried to access it from my laptop by trying \\192.168.1.1 (My router default gateway) as suggested in the article. It came back with Network Discovery must be switched on - - - - -...
  10. Network discovery

Network discovery: Is it safe to leave netwrok discovery on and file sharing off? Because I was just wondering if I should turn it off for my home computer since other devices have had virus before. Can I get a virus if I leave network discovery on and file sharing off, if I have another...