Windows 10: Windows 1909 not sorting by extension

Discus and support Windows 1909 not sorting by extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can't get File Explorer to sort by extension. I tried changing "Turn of numerical sorting in File Explorer" in gpedit but that didn't help. 147293 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rdwray, Dec 28, 2019.

1. rdwray Win User

Windows 1909 not sorting by extension

Can't get File Explorer to sort by extension. I tried changing "Turn of numerical sorting in File Explorer" in gpedit but that didn't help.

:)

rdwray, Dec 28, 2019

2. sorting jpg files

Hi

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you let us know, are you trying to sort in files in Explorer or Photos app?

If you are sorting in explorer, follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Open the folder in which files are stored.
    2. Right click on empty space of window.
    3. Select Sort by and click on
      Type

If you are trying to sort in Photos app by extension, we would suggest you to provide your feedback in
    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app
    as there is no option available to sort by extension in the app. However you can sort by Modified, Newest, Oldest, and Alphabetical.

If you want to look only for the files with .jpg extension in photos app, you may type
    *.jpg in the search bar.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Dec 28, 2019
  3. How to sort files by extension?

Hi vvvvasily,

I'm Stefano an Independent Advisor, here to help you.

You can do that following this procedure:

1. Open the folder in which are the files you want to order.

2. Right click on a blank point

3. Click on "Sort by"

4. Click on "Other"

5. Select "Extension" from the list

6. Click on "Ok"

Then:

1. Open the folder in which are the files you want to order.

2. Right click on a blank point

3. Click on "Sort by"

4. Click on "Extension"

Please let me know if that solves your issue.

StefanoTamiotti, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Windows 1909 not sorting by extension

Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows 1909 not sorting by extension

1. Windows 1909 not sorting by extension - Similar Threads - 1909 sorting extension

2. Windows 10 not updating from 1909 tried to sort but can't

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 not updating from 1909 tried to sort but can't: Hi I have been having this problem since before COVID started. My Future Updates and Quality Updates keep failing and error code 0x800706be keeps coming up as the reason. My Definition and Other Updates work fine. My computer details along with my windows 10 running system....
  3. Windows 10 not updating from 1909 tried to sort but can't

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 not updating from 1909 tried to sort but can't: Hi I have been having this problem since before COVID started. My Future Updates and Quality Updates keep failing and error code 0x800706be keeps coming up as the reason. My Definition and Other Updates work fine. My computer details along with my windows 10 running system....
  4. Windows 10 not updating from 1909 tried to sort but can't

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension: In the old days if you clicked on a list of files in a folder, it would alternate between sorting by name, file extension, file size, etc. Now it's different. You can select more than one field to sort on, and which fields to sort first, second, etc. The fields you select...
  6. Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension: In the old days if you clicked on a list of files in a folder, it would alternate between sorting by name, file extension, file size, etc. Now it's different. You can select more than one field to sort on, and which fields to sort first, second, etc. The fields you select...
  7. Sort and group files types by extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort and group files types by extension: Is there anyway to teach windows to group same type files, ie .jpg/.png and .avi/.mkv/.mp4 together? When I sort my media folder by type, i end up with .mp4 files being sandwiched between jpg and pngs Please dont tell me to make additional folders, I have my own reasons and...
  8. How to sort files by extension?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to sort files by extension?: How, Microsoft? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sort-files-by-extension/a3e24bef-33b1-4d42-9aac-5df456034326"
  9. Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON: Movie titles is a great example, if you got 3 files, Lord of the Ring Lord of the Ring 2 Lord of the Ring 3 and turn ON "show file extensions", then it sorts like this: Lord of the Ring 2.mp4 Lord of the Ring 3.mp4 Lord of the Ring.mp4 This happens because Windows...
  10. Recycle bin sort by extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle bin sort by extension: I added File Extension to the headers in Recycle Bin but, although clicking on the header rearranges the contents, it does not sort by extension. Other, normal, directories sort OK by extension. I suspect there are concealed characters in the extensions that are skewing the...