Windows 10: Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage.

Discus and support Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, After delaying updating from 1909 until the parity issue was "resolved" a few weeks ago, I allowed my computer to automatically install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chris_User, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage.

Hello all,

After delaying updating from 1909 until the parity issue was "resolved" a few weeks ago, I allowed my computer to automatically install the 2004 update late last week. Since then the system has been functioning fine until today. I received a notification in the action center that Storage Spaces had an issue. Upon opening storage spaces the all-drive usage has more than doubled, despite having put no new files on the space in the past week nor have I changed any storage spaces settings. I have multiple terabytes installed on this storage space with no issues historically until now. Is anyone else having this issue or know of any troubleshooting steps? I have the storage space details shown below:

Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage. 13d24fff-fe47-4a77-8782-125fc6b3cb64?upload=true.png

Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage. 6d820325-a24f-4fb1-b677-c895bef4dd96?upload=true.png

This is a Parity storage space with Bitlocker enabled, and formatted withReFS. The Pool utilization before the 2004 update was less than 50%. Since the warning below started, I ran the "upgrade pool" task which successfully completed but had no effect on the warning.

Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage. 8a8c1e72-3fef-4386-93c7-f77fd33ea454?upload=true.png

Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage. 8720608f-b4c2-4bfc-8c7d-216b3f0ef830?upload=true.png

Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage. 89d8bf32-810b-409d-8e61-ee6b428564d9?upload=true.png

Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage. c747b40d-badc-4f61-81b6-76a6b120eb68?upload=true.png

:)

Chris_User, Aug 26, 2020

2. Storage Spaces Parity Win 2004 issue

I am aware that there is a bug with Windows 10 2004 with parity storage drives. I have a pool currently disabled waiting on a confirmed upadte. Where is the best place to get news? I am in the predicament that I don't have a 100% backup and would like
    to save it.

ThreeDrive, Aug 26, 2020
  3. gknorm Win User
    Storage Spaces Parity Repair?

Many thanks, muchomurka!

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, following your suggested procedure it appears the Storage Spaces parity error persists.

Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage. [​IMG]

Any other suggestions?

gknorm, Aug 26, 2020
  4. StephenQX Win User

Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage.

Windows 10 Storage Spaces Improvements?

Are you using 3 column parity? This is the default setting for parity spaces in the Windows 8.1 GUI. If so, this is the reason for your high overhead. 3 column single-parity incurrs a 50% storage overhead (1 parity shard for every 2 data shards)

This makes sense for small pools containing 3 or 4 physical disks. However it is a poor choice with 14 physical disks.

In your case I suggest a 12 column dual-parity space. This means 2 parity shards for every 10 data shards. This will allow for recovery from two drive failures and give only a 20% storage overhead.

Unfortunately the Windows 8.1 GUI is too basic to allow creation of such a space. You need to use Powershell. You can create such a space on your existing storage pool and move data to it from your existing parity space. As you move the data your free space
    will increase.

StephenQX, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage.

1. Windows 2004 Parity Storage Spaces: Sudden increase in pool usage. - Similar Threads - 2004 Parity Storage

2. Expanding storage spaces with parity.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expanding storage spaces with parity.: The storage space was created like this.New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Storage pool" -FriendlyName "Files" -NumberOfColumns 5 -Interleave 64KB -ResiliencySettingName Parity -UseMaximumSizeThen formatted with 128 KB as the Allocation Unit Size.I initially had 5*2TB...
  3. Expanding storage spaces with parity.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expanding storage spaces with parity.: The storage space was created like this.New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Storage pool" -FriendlyName "Files" -NumberOfColumns 5 -Interleave 64KB -ResiliencySettingName Parity -UseMaximumSizeThen formatted with 128 KB as the Allocation Unit Size.I initially had 5*2TB...
  4. Expanding storage spaces with parity.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Storage Spaces Dual Parity Pool says that it needs to formatted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces Dual Parity Pool says that it needs to formatted: Today, I went to access my storage pool and it told me that I need to format it. It was working perfectly fine a few days ago. If you run chkdsk in Command Prompt, it shows that it is NTFS, if you look in Storage Spaces settings it shows that it is all online and healthy with...
  6. Storage Spaces Dual Parity Pool says that it needs to formatted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces Dual Parity Pool says that it needs to formatted: Today, I went to access my storage pool and it told me that I need to format it. It was working perfectly fine a few days ago. If you run chkdsk in Command Prompt, it shows that it is NTFS, if you look in Storage Spaces settings it shows that it is all online and healthy with...
  7. 20H2 and Parity storage spaces

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    20H2 and Parity storage spaces: I'm currently holding my desktop rig at Windows 10 1909 because I use Parity storage spaces. Has anyone here used Parity storage spaces on 20H2 and is able to confirm the 2004 bug has been fixed? I had to restore from backup when I first updated to 2004 and I don't want to...
  8. Storage Spaces Parity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces Parity: Anyone here using Storage Spaces Parity mode? Looking for any information on your experiences with it if so. Thanks 168976
  9. Storage Spaces Parity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces Parity: Hi all, I use Windows Storage Spaces with 6 1TB drives. Using a parity setup The issue I am seeing is that when I first start copying/moving files to or from the volumes, the speeds are what I would expect approx 250-500MB/s but within around 10 seconds, the speeds drop...
  10. Storage Spaces Parity Repair?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces Parity Repair?: Hi: I'm a newbie here... using an OWC Thunderbay 6 DAS with Thunderbolt 3 for video/photo files using (Win 10 Home) Storage Spaces for the past 6 weeks without problems. Using Parity option in Storage Spaces to emulate RAID 5 protection. Today, got Parity Error in Manage...