Windows 10: Windows 2004 update failed - Could not finish the installation

Discus and support Windows 2004 update failed - Could not finish the installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 2004 update failed and now Windows will not start, only shows a message - Could not finish the installation. [img] My own translation:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by erikse, Jun 27, 2020.

1. erikse Win User

Windows 2004 update failed - Could not finish the installation

Windows 2004 update failed and now Windows will not start, only shows a message - Could not finish the installation.

Windows 2004 update failed - Could not finish the installation [​IMG]

My own translation:

"Could not finish the installation. If you want to install Windows on your computer, you can run the installer again."

I don't have an optical drive nor any bootable USB is there any way I can get around this?

The computer only has one drive with one volume (CWindows 2004 update failed - Could not finish the installation :) but I have 2 VHDs that I can boot into (thanks @Kari) so it's no problem to access C: and make changes that way if needed.

I have tried several options on the "Recovery screen" but nothing has worked so far.

This Dell is 3 years and should be no problem, I thought. I have three much older PCs; 7-10 years old (Thinkpad, Asus & HP); and they all upgraded with no problem at all. (Amazingly that they still work with 2004 and with only 3-4 GB RAM.)

One difference that I believe should not make a difference is that this one has Dual boot (VHDs).

How do I go forward or revert to the old Windows version?

/*
    And Yes, all updates were offered by Windows Update.
    And No, I don't have any backup...
    */

:)

erikse, Jun 27, 2020
  2. erikse Win User

Windows 2004 update failed and now Windows will not start, only shows a message - Could not finish the installation.

Windows 2004 update failed - Could not finish the installation [​IMG]

My own translation:

"Could not finish the installation. If you want to install Windows on your computer, you can run the installer again."

I don't have an optical drive nor any bootable USB is there any way I can get around this?

The computer only has one drive with one volume (CWindows 2004 update failed - Could not finish the installation :) but I have 2 VHDs that I can boot into (thanks @Kari) so it's no problem to access C: and make changes that way if needed.

I have tried several options on the "Recovery screen" but nothing has worked so far.

This Dell is 3 years and should be no problem, I thought. I have three much older PCs; 7-10 years old (Thinkpad, Asus & HP); and they all upgraded with no problem at all. (Amazingly that they still work with 2004 and with only 3-4 GB RAM.)

One difference that I believe should not make a difference is that this one has Dual boot (VHDs).

How do I go forward or revert to the old Windows version?

/*
    And Yes, all updates were offered by Windows Update.
    And No, I don't have any backup...
    */

erikse, Aug 6, 2020
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Aug 6, 2020
  4. chideock Win User

KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 2004 update failed - Could not finish the installation - Similar Threads - 2004 update failed

2. Windows could not finish installing the updates.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows could not finish installing the updates.: I have Windows 10 Pro and for several months I have been getting this "Windows could not finish installing updates" error. I have been constantly stopping the Windows update service and sometimes gave up to see the same error one more time. My update history is blank. When...
  3. Windows could not finish installing the updates.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows could not finish installing the updates.: I have Windows 10 Pro and for several months I have been getting this "Windows could not finish installing updates" error. I have been constantly stopping the Windows update service and sometimes gave up to see the same error one more time. My update history is blank. When...
  4. Windows could not finish installing the updates.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1: I have 4 identical computers built exactly the same. Three of the 4 computers were upgraded from 2004 to 21H1, using a simple "Check for updates" and the upgrade to 21H1 was cleaned up. On the last of the 4 computers, everything came out clean, but winver shows that Update...
  6. Windows could not finish installing the updates.

Windows could not finish installing the updates.: I have Windows 10 Home and for several months I have been getting this "Windows could not finish installing updates" error. I've tried everything. I have been constantly stopping the Windows update service and sometimes gave up to see the same error one more time. My update...
  7. Windows 10 2004 update install fail

Windows 10 2004 update install fail: Hi, I own a Surface Pro 4 and recently got prompted to install the Windows 10 update to version 2004. I had enough disk space 45 GB and everything looked fine at the beginning. After the system restarts as part of the update process, the screens shows the message "Undoing...
  8. Unable to finish Windows 10 2004 update

Unable to finish Windows 10 2004 update: I have a Pavilion laptop running Windows 10, I tried to do an update and it will tell me that I have plenty of room to update and start updating, it will go all the way through, then when it reboots it tells me that is is removing all files, then I am right back where I...
  9. windows failed to install feature update 2004

windows failed to install feature update 2004: install fails at 70% and rollbacks. Windows Update tells me the update fails: Last failed install attempt on ‎15-‎8-‎2020 - 0x800707e7 what do I have to do to solve this issue? logfile C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.log: 2020-08-15 20:52:20, Info...
  10. Failed 2004 update? Windows slow? It could be Malwarebytes

Failed 2004 update? Windows slow? It could be Malwarebytes: The Windows 2004 update brought my machine to its knees. Nothing worked anymore. After three failed upgrades and one completely new install of Windows 10 version 2004, I started to selectively disable components, and I finally narrowed it down to Malwarebytes, an anti-virus,...