Windows 10: Windows 2004 update locked me out of my user profile

Discus and support Windows 2004 update locked me out of my user profile in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; When logging in I've used my normal password but Windows gives me one profile (when I have two) and tells me it cannot find user profile! I don't have... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by lvr181, Aug 15, 2020.

1. lvr181 Win User

Windows 2004 update locked me out of my user profile

When logging in I've used my normal password but Windows gives me one profile (when I have two) and tells me it cannot find user profile! I don't have a password reset disc and from the early days of Win10 and numerous updates have never had this problem.

HELP - where to now?

:)

lvr181, Aug 15, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Hi, you're lucky you have 2004 running.. it isn't really ready for general release from what I've seen- we've noted 3 other issues not listed some have experienced. The latest isn't necessarily the best tested or most robust. A good strategy is to wait until at least the first major update is released after the build release, and to check the News item here about it (Known and resolved issues).

A good number of members here are retired...I am, a little early.

- was that the feature update (upgrade) to 2004 or an update of 2004 - if so, which?

dalchina, Aug 15, 2020
  3. deving Win User
    User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Aug 15, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Thank you for your reply.

It wasn't clear from your original description
    that you can't now log in.

You now say that you can't log in
    but that you've somehow gained access.

Noting you said
    are you in fact experiencing this?
    Fix User Profile Service Failed the Sign-in Error in Windows 10

It would help if you could provide a photo and exact text of any messages. You can post images thus:

Windows 2004 update locked me out of my user profile [​IMG]

dalchina, Aug 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 2004 update locked me out of my user profile - Similar Threads - 2004 update locked

2. Windows 10 update locked out user

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 update locked out user: Windows 10 update locked out The laptop of my mother in law out, she used to log in with pin but now it needs to be accompanied with a username that she does not remember.The option to log in with the live account does not work, although I tried to reset password via the live...
  3. Windows 10 update locked out user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update locked out user: Windows 10 update locked out The laptop of my mother in law out, she used to log in with pin but now it needs to be accompanied with a username that she does not remember.The option to log in with the live account does not work, although I tried to reset password via the live...
  4. Windows 10 update locked out user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 2004 damaging user profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2004 damaging user profile: So, I really need some help. My computer has tried twice in the last couple of months to apply the 2004 update. Both times when it finishes installing it comes back to tell me that I can’t login. I’ve tried all of the suggestions out there about deleting the temporary profile...
  6. Win10 2004 Update killed my audio and user profile

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 2004 Update killed my audio and user profile: Hello everyone, my system automatically installed the newest windows update at 16.08.2020 with a restart. I immediately noticed that some minor changes/bugs appeared profile picture is a "pixelated placeholder" and the lock screen function does not work anymore. I could log...
  7. Windows 2004 update locked me out of my user profile

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 2004 update locked me out of my user profile: When logging in I've used my normal password but Windows gives me one profile (when I have two) and tells me it cannot find user profile! I don't have a password reset disc and from the early days of Win10 and numerous updates have never had this problem. HELP - where to...
  8. Win10 2004 update does not recognise my user profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 2004 update does not recognise my user profile: I have two profiles, one not recognised and one not shown. Cannot login! What to do to access my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-2004-update-does-not-recognise-my-user/f52a3d45-5d75-435b-a835-31b3854112cf
  9. Locked Out of my Profile

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Locked Out of my Profile: So, ever since updating my computer to Windows 10, it has locked my profile. Every time I restart it, it says that a temporary profile has been set up for me and automatically logs me in. I have tried editing the registry, I have tried different things under Account...
  10. Windows 10 Update Locked Me Out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update Locked Me Out: In the process of moving 5files from drivers c to e, MS began an update in the middle of the 3rd file transfer. The transfer froze and later dropped through to a blue screen with only part of my desktop and my files were unavailable. I can no longer log into my computer...