Windows 10: Windows 2004 upgrade still takes hours to complete despite taking extensive precautions

Discus and support Windows 2004 upgrade still takes hours to complete despite taking extensive precautions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Why does Win 2004 upgrade still take hours to complete when I know other users complete it in less than an hour? Most of us have been here before;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Will Joseph-4, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Windows 2004 upgrade still takes hours to complete despite taking extensive precautions

Why does Win 2004 upgrade still take hours to complete when I know other users complete it in less than an hour?

Most of us have been here before; with long install times . The upgrade took 20 minutes in "Getting things ready" 3 hours in "installing" and 2 hours after re-boot, start to finish.

I started the download from the win update screen after it appeared when I did a manual update request.

I have 600 Gb of free space on a HDD of 1TB and a 1% fragmentation at time of upgrade. I uninstalled my AVG virus software before I upgraded and ran the Win Update Troubleshooter. I disconnected all external drives, printers, USB´drives and mouses. Of course I did a Back-Up and Image. Please do not tell me that my hardware is too old i.e. no SSD, or my download speed is to slow.

:)

Will Joseph-4, Jun 18, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

How long does the 2004 upgrade take using Windows Update?

A year ago I asked (and answered) the same question for 1903. Having just let Window Update successfully upgrade the same machine I used for those tests I can say that the answer remains the same. Times for each step were almost identical - over four hours from start to a working desktop.

How long does the 1903 upgrade take using Windows Update?

My recommendation: unless you really need to see the Feature Update listed in update history, then download the ISO and use that to upgrade.

Windows 2004 upgrade still takes hours to complete despite taking extensive precautions [​IMG]

3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows 2004 upgrade still takes hours to complete despite taking extensive precautions :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jun 18, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

Windows 2004 upgrade still takes hours to complete despite taking extensive precautions

Forum upgrade complete

The upgrade to XenForo 2 is now complete.

Please report any issues/requests/ideas in this thread.

TODO:
    • Look into style improvements
      (feel free to suggest ideas)
    • Custom post edit time limit addon
    Fixed:
    • PM sending throwing an error
    • Adjust maximum width
    • Add stats below avatars
    • Logout link missing on TPU main site
    • Forum not sending emails
    • Added posts per day
    • Add news boxes on forumhome
    • Highlight stickies better
    • Add long service badge
    • Add sigpic plugin
    • Look into avatar size for thread view
    • Heatware in BST
    • Sigquote

W1zzard, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows 2004 upgrade still takes hours to complete despite taking extensive precautions

1. Windows 2004 upgrade still takes hours to complete despite taking extensive precautions - Similar Threads - 2004 upgrade still

2. Windows 11 updates take hours to complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 updates take hours to complete: Hi.I have a laptop that is a couple years old. Its not a slow one, its an ASUS Zenbook with Ryzen 7 4700U, 16Gb of RAM and a 512Gb Kingston NVMe SSD.Everything on the laptop works like a charm, except for Windows updates. Most updates take hours to complete, I usually just...
  3. Windows 11 updates take hours to complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 updates take hours to complete: Hi.I have a laptop that is a couple years old. Its not a slow one, its an ASUS Zenbook with Ryzen 7 4700U, 16Gb of RAM and a 512Gb Kingston NVMe SSD.Everything on the laptop works like a charm, except for Windows updates. Most updates take hours to complete, I usually just...
  4. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  5. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete

Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  6. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete

Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  7. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  8. Windows 10 Updates Still Taking Hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates Still Taking Hours: I've had my HP 15 laptop for a little over a year now. Last night I got a pop-up wanting to update. I clicked Remind Me Later. In less than a minute, the screen went blue supposedly because the computer had to restart due to an error. I hardly believe this was coincidence. It...
  9. Quick scan takes hours to complete

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Quick scan takes hours to complete: What is going on with quick scan? I ran it yesterday and it took all day to run. Also is there a setting to run automatically. It is set to run real-time so is a scheduled scan unnecessary?...
  10. Important precautions to take before upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Important precautions to take before upgrading to Windows 10: I recently upgraded two brand new off the shelf "computers" to Windows 10 and a couple of precautions saved me a whole lot of time. I say "computers" in quotes because one was a cheap 10" tablet from WalMart and the other is a cheap stick computer I am now using as a media...