Windows 10: Windows 20h2 update crashes AMD drivers

Discus and support Windows 20h2 update crashes AMD drivers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I've recently updated my Windows version to the latest build, and since then I've had multiple restarts when playing games. I have tried using DDU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by behindicebergs, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Windows 20h2 update crashes AMD drivers

Hi.

I've recently updated my Windows version to the latest build, and since then I've had multiple restarts when playing games. I have tried using DDU to remove my drivers AMD and reinstalling different versions of them, but all of them cause that launching a game and sometimes just using the PC normally will reboot the PC. Windows event viewer suggests this is something to do with "amdkmdag" not being configured correctly and causing a Kernel PnP error. Since this happened more than 15 days ago I cannot rollback the Windows update to a previous version either.

Does anyone know of a solution to this? I have already contacted AMD for support and am waiting an answer.

Thank you for your time.

:)

behindicebergs, Apr 6, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

SSD samsung evo and amd drivers

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the AMD drivers installed on the computer.

Since the Samsung SSD is working fine with the Microsoft AHCI driver, I suggest you to update the AMD driver and check if that helps. To update the AMD drivers follow the steps from the article

Update drivers in Windows 10

If updating the drivers didn’t help, I suggest you to roll back the driver to previous build and check if that helps. To roll back the driver to previous build follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager.
    3. In Device manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    4. Right click on AMD SATA Controller and select
      Properties.
    5. Navigate to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
    6. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 6, 2021
  3. mverzz Win User
    AMD Graphics Driver freezes after 20H2 feature update, need help!

Dear Support forum,

Yesterday I installed the feature update 20H2.

After logging back-on a pop-up showed that the AMD graphic driver was not installed, which it was before the update.

However whenever I try to install any AMD graphic driver, the screen freezes completely.

When I restart by hard reset, the screen freezes already during the loading process (for example the circling dots before log-in screen).

The only way I can still log-in is by starting in Safe Mode, and/or by disabling the graphic driver completely as otherwise Windows is trying to install any update.

I have tried restoring my system via System Restore, didnt help. Tried to roll back the feature update, but unable to, Windows is asking me to completely reset.

I have tried installing a new driver via AMD website, Driver Booster, Windows Update, Device Manager.. nothing worked, everytime during the installing process the screen will freeze completely.

Some computer data, hope its sufficient:

ACER Aspire E1 Series

Windows

Windows 10 Home - 64 bits

Version 20H2, OS build 19042.546

Processor

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.29 GHz

Graphic Cards

AMD Radeon HD 8750M

Intel HD Graphics Family

I hope any of you have any suggestions to help me out!

Kind regards,

Max

mverzz, Apr 6, 2021
  4. Tenforo Active Member

Windows 20h2 update crashes AMD drivers

Updating AMD Driverswindows 10 how to update the AMD drivers without any of their Private Branding components

Hi,

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Follow the steps to update the Display driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
    • Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its updated and verify.
    If the issue still persists then i suggest you to contact the AMD manufacturer support website and check if it helps.

Please refer the below link for the same.

http://support.amd.com/en-us

Hope this helps regarding updating the AMD display drivers. Please contact us if you are facing issues further we will be glad to assist you.

Tenforo, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

Windows 20h2 update crashes AMD drivers

1. Windows 20h2 update crashes AMD drivers - Similar Threads - 20h2 update crashes

2. Amd drivers crash Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Amd drivers crash Windows 11: Yesterday, after installing an AMD rx590 and updating the drivers and restarting the computer, it turned on and started, but it did not open any type of application, not did it open the bios with the command. The computer also wouldn't shut down with the Windows button by...
  3. Amd drivers crash Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Amd drivers crash Windows 11: Yesterday, after installing an AMD rx590 and updating the drivers and restarting the computer, it turned on and started, but it did not open any type of application, not did it open the bios with the command. The computer also wouldn't shut down with the Windows button by...
  4. GPU driver crashes AMD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GPU driver crashes AMD.: Hello,I have a problem when I play League Of Legends, the game crashes and I have an error "windows has restarted your gpu driver due to a problem", when I check the events viewer there's an warning, event id 4101, source : display that says : "Le pilote d’affichage amdkmdag...
  5. AMD display driver crashes windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD display driver crashes windows: I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this because I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or a software issue. So I'm having a strange issue with Windows freezing when I try to install the latest AMD display driver. The strange thing is the PC was working fine until...
  6. Windows 10 20H2: Realtek & AMD drivers problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 20H2: Realtek & AMD drivers problem: I have a problem with the amd drivers, when I try to take a clip or a recording it does not save the sound, I have astro a10 headphones, connected by a splitter to the back of the MB, however if I connect an xbox control and I take a clip the audio is recorded.I had the new...
  7. AMD driver will crash in 20H2 Update/:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    AMD driver will crash in 20H2 Update/:: Hi I know a lot about Windows and fixing software and programing. But this is bothering me I have 2 pc s one Lenovo and one Asus Lenovo has windows 10 pro 1909 and i installed all drivers when i try to update, It will crash after update in boot screen after logo in gone...
  8. Windows 20H2 Update for AMD Systems

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 20H2 Update for AMD Systems: I have several Intel based Windows Systems and they have all received the latest 20H2 Update. I also have several AMD based Windows Systems and none of them have been offered the latest 20H2 Update. I did download the latest version of Windows from the Microsoft Site this...
  9. Windows 20H2 Update for AMD Systems

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 20H2 Update for AMD Systems: I have several Intel based Windows Systems and they have all received the latest 20H2 Update. I also have several AMD based Windows Systems and none of them have been offered the latest 20H2 Update. I did download the latest version of Windows from the Microsoft Site this...
  10. Latest AMD Drivers Crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest AMD Drivers Crashing: Hi guys I have an issue with the latest AMD Drivers on my Windows 10 Pro x64. Whenever I have the Crimson edition or 15.++ drivers (15.3 onwards) it crashes or gives a BSOD. The crash occurs repeatedly once you reach the desktop screen until you hit a BSOD but sometimes it...