Windows 10: Windows 20H2 - update & restart/shutdown only ?

Discus and support Windows 20H2 - update & restart/shutdown only ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi with Windows 1903 when an update needed a restart to apply, in the power button menu, i had only the choice "Update &restart" or "Shutdown &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GuillaumeAMGAR, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Windows 20H2 - update & restart/shutdown only ?

Hi

with Windows 1903 when an update needed a restart to apply, in the power button menu, i had only the choice "Update &restart" or "Shutdown & restart" wich was perfect because users cannot bypass the udpates installation

with 20H2 now user have the option listed so the they can directly shutdown or restart whitout applied the updates

Windows 20H2 - update & restart/shutdown only ? 102bc3e5-b847-4ab0-b67a-87a1161e6959?upload=true.png

i do not see new GPO about that or a settings to restrict

thanks for your help :

:)

GuillaumeAMGAR, Nov 18, 2020
  2. little cat, Nov 18, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, Nov 18, 2020
  4. AchalSood Win User

Windows 20H2 - update & restart/shutdown only ?

Windows 10 20H2 update breaks windows update.

After updating to windows 10 20H2, windows update is stuck at checking for updates. Every time I try to shutdown or restart it always says update and shutdown and update and restart which takes forever to shutdown and restart the computer. I have restarted
    the PC a few times now and windows update is still stuck at checking for updates. How do I resolve this issue?

AchalSood, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows 20H2 - update & restart/shutdown only ?

1. Windows 20H2 - update & restart/shutdown only ? - Similar Threads - 20H2 update restart

2. Disallow shutdown and enable restart only

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disallow shutdown and enable restart only: How to disallow shutdown and enable restart option only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disallow-shutdown-and-enable-restart-only/c3d057ed-2dd4-454f-9c2a-a6ca1f3a2d5c
  3. Disallow shutdown and enable restart only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disallow shutdown and enable restart only: How to disallow shutdown and enable restart option only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disallow-shutdown-and-enable-restart-only/c3d057ed-2dd4-454f-9c2a-a6ca1f3a2d5c
  4. Disallow shutdown and enable restart only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Update restart vs. shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update restart vs. shutdown: Every week or so, Microsoft wants me to update my Surface book 3 with the latest windows update. Fine, i get that. What i do not understand is it can somehow only install on a restart. When i click start , power, it shows 'update and restart', but not update and shutdown...
  6. Update 20h2 clean restart

Update 20h2 clean restart: I updated my computer from Windows 10 version SDK 2004 to 20h2 and, to my surprise, I saw that all of my app info and storage--for the most part--was gone. I immediately downgraded to the version I had before and now everything is back to normal. Does the update require the...
  7. Latest 20H2 update makes shutdown / restart much slower than it should be

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Latest 20H2 update makes shutdown / restart much slower than it should be: Hey there! Today I was casually gaming when I decided to take a break and clean some junk files and update my PC, like a do regularly. So, I opened settings and downloaded the update (pretty sure it was the cumulative update for 20H2?), and restarted my PC. Then, I cleaned up...
  8. Restarting but showing as update and shutdown

Restarting but showing as update and shutdown: Hello, everytime i click on update and shutdown, it is updating and restarting automatically. Can anyone explain why it is restarting everytime?...
  9. Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!: Either I missed an important update change, or I am going crazy. The idea of Windows Update shutting down, just to be greeted by the finishing update when turning the computer back on was annoying to say the least. I know there was talks about requesting the update and...
  10. Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.: Hey guys. I hope someone here can help me with my current problem on my desktop. Whenever I try to shutdown my computer the montior shuts off and my drives stops after a few seconds, but my fans and LEDs keeps running. I've tried to do all the suggestions from My Laptop...