Windows 10: Windows 365: File History Backup and Restore to a WD DAS

Discus and support Windows 365: File History Backup and Restore to a WD DAS in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've recently updated to 365. I have a need to have back ups on my dat on a remote hard drive. I understand OneDrive and do not want this info on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by LDW Association, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Windows 365: File History Backup and Restore to a WD DAS

I've recently updated to 365. I have a need to have back ups on my dat on a remote hard drive. I understand OneDrive and do not want this info on the cloud. In the past I have just maintained my redundancy on hard drives using the File History setting you have in Windows 10 & 11. Can you offer directions how I can continue to do this. Please don't tell me I need to first go to One Drive then do it from One Drive. On Drive is a hog on my internet service in uploads & downloads. I am also not a fan of Sharepoint. The protocols between One Drive, SharePoint & Teams is a mess for no

:)

LDW Association, Jun 29, 2022

2. File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, Jun 29, 2022
  3. Can't access files restored from wd passport

I have looked at the numerous inquiries on this subject. Most are old and the suggestions do not coincide with the menu selections. So, I will try this.

• New computer HP pavillion
    • Windows 10
    • Backup files stored on wd passport
    • restored the files to the new pc
    • can't view, access,
    • message that I don't have permission
    • tried to change permission
    • did not work

problemnewpc, Jun 29, 2022
  4. Windows 365: File History Backup and Restore to a WD DAS

File History restore

Hi Green

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

You can restore your File History backup on the interim laptop you are using, then create a separate File History backup of the interim laptop, which you can then restore on the regular laptop.

See steps how to restore the backup:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-cor...

Because the interim laptop will have a unique machine name, it will create a separate backup for it:

How to Set Up and Configure File History on Windows 10 - groovyPost

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/configure-wind...

You can then follow the steps in the techrepublic article for restoring the changes since.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Andre for Directly, Jun 29, 2022
Thema:

Windows 365: File History Backup and Restore to a WD DAS

1. Windows 365: File History Backup and Restore to a WD DAS - Similar Threads - 365 File History

2. Windows 365: File History Backup and Restore to a WD DAS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 365: File History Backup and Restore to a WD DAS: I've recently updated to 365. I have a need to have back ups on my dat on a remote hard drive. I understand OneDrive and do not want this info on the cloud. In the past I have just maintained my redundancy on hard drives using the File History setting you have in Windows 10 &...
  3. Windows 10 backup and restore - File history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 backup and restore - File history: Does Microsoft still support Windows 10 Backup and Restore File History? I have read differing opinions on this? Is it being phased out? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-backup-and-restore-file-history/48ead602-8f04-49b3-9d8f-b8d056df5ebe
  4. Windows backup/restore and file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows backup/restore and file history: I have a new (late December) Dell 5500, 512 GB SSD about half empty. I have File Explorer access to a 2TB NAS (WD Mybook Live) via home wifi network. I'm starting with win 10 native s/w. I'll research other popular programs (macrium etc) because multiple attempts using the...
  5. file history will not backup to a WD black 5 TB drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history will not backup to a WD black 5 TB drive: I am trying to backup a drive i use for photos. drive A. I want to back it up to a larger WD black 5 TB hard drive plugged in through a USB on top of my tower. I can see the drive in my files and I can copy files to the drive. File history isn't recognizing my drive or if it...
  6. File History VS Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History VS Backup and Restore: Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc, restore point, system image and recovery drive. 1) can the same external drive be used for both file history and backup and...
  7. Backup and Restore Question for File History

Backup and Restore Question for File History: I have used File History for a number of years to backup my files. I can see it running and according to the program it operates successfully. For the heck of it I tried to restore a file, just to see if it would work. It ended up only finding a backup from July 2019, yet...
  8. advantages of File History versus WD software for backup?

advantages of File History versus WD software for backup?: What are the advantages of using Windows 10 File History as compared to WD backup software on WD MyBook to back up files? Can one use both to the same WD exterval drive?...
  9. Difference between File History and Backup and Restore

Difference between File History and Backup and Restore: I want a complete backup of my laptop. I want EVERY file to be backed up. Which option is better: File History OR Backup and Restore? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-file-history-and-backup-and/eb00ff8f-d696-4e1a-8851-2326a88eeecd
  10. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...