Windows 10: Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD

Discus and support Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All I had a Windows 7 HDD and installed a new second HDD. Installed Windows 10 on the new HDD and a.... shall we say "bootloader" was automatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bypass666, Jun 8, 2019.

1. bypass666 Win User

Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD

Hi All

I had a Windows 7 HDD and installed a new second HDD. Installed Windows 10 on the new HDD and a.... shall we say "bootloader" was automatically defined. starting up this PC I am given a W10 looking bootloader offering me Windows 7 or Windows 10.

My question is...

If I clone the Windows 10 HDD (defrag etc) to a new SSD, will the bootloader still function for W7/W10?

Thanks in advance Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD :)

:)

bypass666, Jun 8, 2019

2. Dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 by cloning Windows 7 to new HDD

Old title: Dual boot Win 10 and Win 7

Have Win 10 on SSD C:\ and a failing HDD with Win 7 and some programs I don't want to lose. I have a new HDD to use to create a dual boot. Media for Win 7 is no longer available. How do I clone the failing disk into a bootable partition on the new HDD?

DavidSchott263, Jun 8, 2019
  3. How to Clone 'dual boot' Win7/Win10 HDD to new SSD

Hi Jackos,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to create a system image of Win7/Win10 and apply it to SSD.

To create system image on Windows 10 follow the below steps.

• Type File history in the search area on the taskbar and select File history.
    • Click on System image backup on the left bottom corner of the Window file history Window.
    • Click on Create System Image on the left panel of the System Image backup windows.
    • Select the driver, where you want to create system Image.
    • Follow on screen instruction.
    If you want to perform a dual boot you can refer to the below link and check if it helps:

How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Please let us know if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD

Installing W10 with new full license on new SSD alongside W10 OEM on old HDD and using dual boot

I've got an OEM licensed version of Windows 10 Pro which is an update from 8.1 that was pre-installed on my Western Digital 1TB HDD when I bought my desktop PC. I've since bought a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD and a new full license for Windows 10 Pro.

What I'm trying to do is leave my original OS as it is on my HDD and install Windows 10 Pro with a seperate license, using the ISO I've burnt onto a DVD, to my new SSD and then be able to boot either, even if it means using the boot manager in the BIOS each
    time.

A problem I'm having is that when I try to install Windows 10 Pro to my SSD using the DVD to boot, my SSD is unusable because there's apparently no driver for it and there are none to download for it that I've seen anyway.

Also even if I could do this would I be able to switch between the two using a dual boot environment or would it just steal the master boot record from my original OS installation?

Cheers.

Darren

CommodoreC2N, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD

1. Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD - Similar Threads - Dual Boot HDD's

2. Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.: I have an older gaming PC to which I added a 240GB SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 10 20H2. The old, now secondary, HDD is a 1TB drive that served as my OS drive previously. Is there a way to move my old "Desktop" to the new SSD so that when I launch Windows I will see...
  3. W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.: I have Windows 10 on my SSD and I need to get Windows 10 on my HDD so I can remove the SSD while still having a functional Windows 10. It does not have to be the same W10 with all the files settings etc, in fact a clean W10 would be preferrable, however I do not have access...
  4. want to make SSD primary boot drive and move HDD to storage.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    want to make SSD primary boot drive and move HDD to storage.: I made the mistake of using AOMEI, to decrease the size of one partition, while increasing the size of the other. Simple enough. What I hadn't counted on was: this program, apparently, is at liberty to rearrange one's drive letters! Now, even though my partitions were...
  5. I want to move windows boot manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    I want to move windows boot manager from HDD to SSD: I have Windows 10 installed on Disk 1 (HDD) before. Now installing another Windows 10 on Disk 2 (SSD). I no longer need HDD anymore but if I remove HDD from PC then I cannot boot from SSD. Looking on Google and found that EasyBCD can move boot manager. I want to move both EFI...
  6. Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10: My old computer went "bad" (I suspect that Windows updates became increasingly incompatible with my seven year-old hardware), so I decided to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and add a new SSD NVMe drive. I would like to boot from my SSD and run Adobe Photoshop 6.0 on it, but all...
  7. Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD

Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD: Hi All I had a Windows 7 HDD and installed a new second HDD. Installed Windows 10 on the new HDD and a.... shall we say "bootloader" was automatically defined. starting up this PC I am given a W10 looking bootloader offering me Windows 7 or Windows 10. My question is... If...
  8. New I have a dual boot with two SSD

New I have a dual boot with two SSD: I have a dual boot with two SSD. On both are W10 systems, let's say W10 and W10 test. Till yesterday it worked as follows: booting up bios; Bios (or DOS?) screen in which to select which OS. After selection immediately the selected OS system started. Today I updated W10 test...
  9. WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD

WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD: I have a 1 TB WD Black (1003FZEX) in a Dell XPS-8700 (Not Special Edition). Only 50% of HDD is full and that's all I plan to keep it. I want to buy a new SSD and put my OS on it for faster starts, etc. I back up every day (Full / Verify) using Macrium (Paid). What...
  10. Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD

Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD: My situation is this: I have now Windows 7 in my HDD, and I just bought a new SSD to install Windows 10 in. Also bought a new Windows 7 license (old one is pirated *Rolleyes). I'm going to install Win7, then upgrade to Windows 10 and do clean install. The question is, will I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 on ssd but windows 7 on hdd

2. dual boot windows 10 and windows 7 separate hdd