Windows 10: Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD

Discus and support Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All I had a Windows 7 HDD and installed a new second HDD. Installed Windows 10 on the new HDD and a.... shall we say "bootloader" was automatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bypass666, Jun 8, 2019.

1. bypass666 Win User

Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD

Hi All

I had a Windows 7 HDD and installed a new second HDD. Installed Windows 10 on the new HDD and a.... shall we say "bootloader" was automatically defined. starting up this PC I am given a W10 looking bootloader offering me Windows 7 or Windows 10.

My question is...

If I clone the Windows 10 HDD (defrag etc) to a new SSD, will the bootloader still function for W7/W10?

Thanks in advance Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD :)

:)

bypass666, Jun 8, 2019

2. Dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 by cloning Windows 7 to new HDD

Old title: Dual boot Win 10 and Win 7

Have Win 10 on SSD C:\ and a failing HDD with Win 7 and some programs I don't want to lose. I have a new HDD to use to create a dual boot. Media for Win 7 is no longer available. How do I clone the failing disk into a bootable partition on the new HDD?

DavidSchott263, Jun 8, 2019
  3. How to Clone 'dual boot' Win7/Win10 HDD to new SSD

Hi Jackos,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to create a system image of Win7/Win10 and apply it to SSD.

To create system image on Windows 10 follow the below steps.

• Type File history in the search area on the taskbar and select File history.
    • Click on System image backup on the left bottom corner of the Window file history Window.
    • Click on Create System Image on the left panel of the System Image backup windows.
    • Select the driver, where you want to create system Image.
    • Follow on screen instruction.
    If you want to perform a dual boot you can refer to the below link and check if it helps:

How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Please let us know if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD

Installing W10 with new full license on new SSD alongside W10 OEM on old HDD and using dual boot

I've got an OEM licensed version of Windows 10 Pro which is an update from 8.1 that was pre-installed on my Western Digital 1TB HDD when I bought my desktop PC. I've since bought a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD and a new full license for Windows 10 Pro.

What I'm trying to do is leave my original OS as it is on my HDD and install Windows 10 Pro with a seperate license, using the ISO I've burnt onto a DVD, to my new SSD and then be able to boot either, even if it means using the boot manager in the BIOS each
    time.

A problem I'm having is that when I try to install Windows 10 Pro to my SSD using the DVD to boot, my SSD is unusable because there's apparently no driver for it and there are none to download for it that I've seen anyway.

Also even if I could do this would I be able to switch between the two using a dual boot environment or would it just steal the master boot record from my original OS installation?

Cheers.

Darren

CommodoreC2N, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD

1. Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD - Similar Threads - Dual Boot HDD's

2. Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7/ 10 Dual Boot On Two HDD's - Want To Move W10 To New SSD: Hi All I had a Windows 7 HDD and installed a new second HDD. Installed Windows 10 on the new HDD and a.... shall we say "bootloader" was automatically defined. starting up this PC I am given a W10 looking bootloader offering me Windows 7 or Windows 10. My question is... If...
  3. New I have a dual boot with two SSD

New I have a dual boot with two SSD: I have a dual boot with two SSD. On both are W10 systems, let's say W10 and W10 test. Till yesterday it worked as follows: booting up bios; Bios (or DOS?) screen in which to select which OS. After selection immediately the selected OS system started. Today I updated W10 test...
  4. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  5. Windows 10 Boot manager removal for dual OS on SSD and HDD

Windows 10 Boot manager removal for dual OS on SSD and HDD: Hi, I'm looking for some guidance on Windows 10 boot manager installation. Here's my scenario: I have an SSD with windows 10 and I wanted to have a separate HDD with windows 10 also, I want to keep for various projects and trying new software out. Ideally, I wanted to swap...
  6. WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD

WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD: I have a 1 TB WD Black (1003FZEX) in a Dell XPS-8700 (Not Special Edition). Only 50% of HDD is full and that's all I plan to keep it. I want to buy a new SSD and put my OS on it for faster starts, etc. I back up every day (Full / Verify) using Macrium (Paid). What...
  7. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  8. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  9. Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD

Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD: My situation is this: I have now Windows 7 in my HDD, and I just bought a new SSD to install Windows 10 in. Also bought a new Windows 7 license (old one is pirated *Rolleyes). I'm going to install Win7, then upgrade to Windows 10 and do clean install. The question is, will I...
  10. Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7

Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7: When I ordered my new Windows 10 laptop it was ordered with a 1TB SSD, I expected it to be a single 1TB SSD, but it arrived with 2 SSDs, both of which are 500 GB and have different drive letters. The first SSD is the Windows 10 op sys drive with installed apps. The second one...