Windows 10: Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 messing with each other's NTFS drives

Discus and support Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 messing with each other's NTFS drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use Windows 10 Pro most of the time, but I sometimes booted into Windows 7 Pro by selecting a drive its installed on in BIOS. The first time I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hoosier Daddy, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 messing with each other's NTFS drives

I use Windows 10 Pro most of the time, but I sometimes booted into Windows 7 Pro by selecting a drive its installed on in BIOS.

The first time I did this Windows 7 insisted on doing a check on every drive in the system that Windows 10 uses before displaying the sign-on screen. Gave me a big scare, not to mention the long delays to check all the drives (none of which are used by or have drive letters assigned for Windows 7). And IIRC, Windows 10 checked them before it displayed the sign-on screen when rebooted after booting Windows 7 that first time.

Its been year now and I don't remember the details but I suspected it had to do with Windows 10 hybrid shutdown somehow marking the drives to make sure they weren't messed with until Windows 10 was next started. Regardless, I prevented it by executing a SHUTDOWN /S /R 0 command to shut down Windows 10 rather than the Windows 10 power icon in Start. If I did that before booting Windows 7 was fine and the same for booting Windows 10 afterwards.

Fast forward and I recently installed Windows 8.1 and was expecting I might have to do the same thing. I was right. But even when I do that (for both Windows 10 and 8.1), Windows 8.1 does something to the Windows 10 boot drive. It will boot normally but something is not right and it needs to have a check done to it manually. The first indication was when Maxium Reflect failed to back it up until a check was done saying the MFT was corrupted.

I am trying to understand what is happening better and come up with shutdown and boot procedures that don't do this. I still worry that I may have just been lucky that nothing important was hit by the corruption.

If this is a better fit for another forum, I apologize and ask for it to be moved.

:)

Hoosier Daddy, Dec 30, 2019
  2. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Dec 30, 2019
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 30, 2019
  4. hellrazor Win User

Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 messing with each other's NTFS drives

Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 messing with each other's NTFS drives

1. Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 messing with each other's NTFS drives - Similar Threads - messing each other's

2. NTFS Drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS Drives?: I did all the windows updates all at once and now when I try to access my drives it says NTFS? When I try to open the drives file names are not showing up either any quick fix to this? I can’t access the recovery options as well the buttons are not working there...
  3. NTFS Drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS Drives?: I did all the windows updates all at once and now when I try to access my drives it says NTFS? When I try to open the drives file names are not showing up either any quick fix to this? I can’t access the recovery options as well the buttons are not working there...
  4. NTFS Drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. NTFS Drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. does windows drive includes windows 7/8/10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    does windows drive includes windows 7/8/10: in the reseting of windows 10 it shows clean windows drive only does it includes windows 7 partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-drive-includes-windows-7810/f89e73a8-12f4-4954-9531-b93b8cef957f
  7. Windows 10, 8, or 7

Windows 10, 8, or 7: Can Windows 10, 8, or 7 be installed on a MacBook Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-8-or-7/1b2b0ef2-d4e9-494a-afda-ab7773e1ea39
  8. Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Home can't access each other

Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Home can't access each other: Yay. Another home networking question. I have 4 computers on my home network. 1 wired (Win 10 Pro). 3 wireless (Win 10 Home, Win 10 Pro, Win 7 Home). All of the computers can access each other over the network except the Win 10 Home and Win 7 Home computers. They can see...
  9. Windows 10 NTFS incompatible with Windows 7?

Windows 10 NTFS incompatible with Windows 7?: I have a machine that (for testing purposes) dual boots either Win 10 (the default) or Win 7 (sometimes). I added a new disk to that machine, partitioned with GPT and some other (non-windows) partitions on it, plus a NTFS partition starting at ~2 TB going to the end of the...
  10. 7-8-10

7-8-10: I see many posts of issues with upgrades. I just wanted to share that its not all bad news with respect to 10 upgrades. I cleaned up my windows 8 install a big, removed some software I no longer used, and upgraded my 8.1 to 10 with no issues. Also like to note this is my...